Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Free download of my libertarian book, Withur We!

This post has 142 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew Posted: Thu, May 13 2010 9:29 AM

I recently published my first novel, a science-fiction work called Withur We.  I now have a website up and running and you can download the entire book for free.  Visit now and pass it along to anyone you know who might be interested, no obligation to buy if you don't want to!

www.withurwe.com

Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under - Mencken

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 753
Points 18,750

major congratulations! Are you self-publishing?  Maybe you could tell us a little about your work and your path of publication; were both a time consuming process?

Read until you have something to write...Write until you have nothing to write...when you have nothing to write, read...read until you have something to write...Jeremiah 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Thu, May 13 2010 11:18 AM

Thank you, Jeremiah!

I self-published, first through Booksurge and then through Createspace once they bought Booksurge.  It took me almost five years to write the book, revise it, rerevise it, rererevise it... you get the idea.  I started in May of 2005 and finished in March of this year.  The actual process of publishing with Createspace has been very smooth.

The book takes place several centuries hence, on a colony a few hundred light years from Earth, called Aldra.  The story starts in the middle of general economic decay, and without getting to technical and preachy the book slips some Austrian Economics into the story.  A revolution, born of general discontent, gets under way, and the main character, Alistair Ashley 3nn, sees it as a chance to advance his libertarian principles.

There is a lot more to it than that.  Ultimately, the book is about the dangers of government and the importance of voluntary relationships.  There are also some true sci-fi elements mixed in as well.  You can read a little bit more about it on the website, and feel free to download the entire thing!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
matt1123 replied on Fri, May 14 2010 12:33 PM

Thanks, I downloaded it started reading it, then realized how uncomfortable it would be to read 600+ pages on my laptop so ordered it from amazon. Looking forward to recieving it.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 753
Points 18,750

anyway to get it on my kindle?

Read until you have something to write...Write until you have nothing to write...when you have nothing to write, read...read until you have something to write...Jeremiah 

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Fri, May 14 2010 3:58 PM

Thanks, Matt!  I hope you enjoy it!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Fri, May 14 2010 3:59 PM

anyway to get it on my kindle?

They offered me a Kindle option but I declined because it cost more than I could afford at the time.  My friend gave it to me in something called a Mobi eReader format.  If this interests you, send me an email from my website and I'll be happy to send this to you.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 274
Points 5,675
My Buddy replied on Sat, May 15 2010 7:20 PM

This book is so damn awesome. At first, it seemd sort of slow, but it became much, much better about 100 pages in.

Gotta love the evolution of the planet as the Gaians get beaten and the free market takes over.

This really should get a publisher, though. I imagine it would be accepted quickly with a couple references, and then it could become something more (No offense, but when I think of self-published novels, I think of Vanity Novels and such).

But whatever. I still love this story. Probably took you ages to make it.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Sun, May 16 2010 9:29 AM

Wow, that's quite an endorsement!  Thank you so much!

It took me five years to write, 58 months actually, so it's nice to hear good things about it after it's finally finished.

Thanks for reading (feel free to join the Facebook page if you like)!  It sounds like you are most of the way done with the book.  Which part are you on?

Take care and talk to you soon.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 753
Points 18,750

"If this interests you, send me an email from my website and I'll be happy to send this to you."

I sent you an e-mail for the Mobi eReader format if and when you get time to send it to me (jeremiah_dyke@yahoo.com)

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Sun, May 16 2010 6:37 PM

Bombs away!  Let me know if it didn't come through, I can send it again.

Take care and thanks so much!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 274
Points 5,675
My Buddy replied on Sun, May 16 2010 7:34 PM

Finished.

Pretty damn good book, though it looks like it is just itching for a sequel.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Mon, May 17 2010 12:41 PM

Thank you!

I didn't start it with the idea of writing a sequel, although after finishing it the sequel - at least its basic premise - practically writes itself.  That might be my next project.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 282
Points 6,595
nandnor replied on Mon, May 17 2010 1:08 PM

anyone else read it? sorry but with only one review and it not fully positive it seems doubtful to spend time on getting started with it.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Mon, May 17 2010 5:45 PM

anyone else read it? sorry but with only one review and it not fully positive it seems doubtful to spend time on getting started with it.

The first line was, "This book is so damn awesome"... that seems fairly positive.  However, if you want more reviews there are three on the Amazon.com page and 320 on the Authonomy Page (Although the readers on Authonomy were reading a very similar but previous version).

You can also test drive it for free at www.withurwe.com

I hope you enjoy!

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Mon, May 17 2010 7:19 PM

I started reading it. It is surprisingly well written. I will finish this book.

Banned
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Mon, May 17 2010 7:31 PM

I started reading it. It is surprisingly well written. I will finish this book.

Thanks, Snowflake!  I hope you enjoy!

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 19
Points 275
Gewehr98 replied on Sun, May 23 2010 1:21 PM

I just finished the .pdf. It was very well written, and I really enjoyed it. I plan on buying a hard copy just as soon as I finish moving (sometime here within the next week). Without giving too much away, I was really pleased with the way you worked in some very basic Austrian principles, and expounded upon them later.

I hope you continue writing, and possibly even turn this into a series. I'm not a huge fan of scifi novels, but this was most definitely one of the better ones out there.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 753
Points 18,750

I'm up to the point where Alistars' men are stealing from a weapons ship. This has been an enjoyable read so far  

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 244
Points 3,770
MMMark replied on Sun, May 23 2010 2:36 PM

Sun. 10/05/23 15:36 EDT
.post #109

I recently published my first novel, a science-fiction work called Withur We. I now have a website up and running and you can download the entire book for free.
Which just goes to show that, in fact, there is such a thing as a free launch.

Congrats!

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Mon, May 24 2010 2:07 PM

Thank you much, Gewehr!  I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Right now, I've got a few ideas I am kicking around in my head, one of which would be a sequel to Withur We.  I am not sure which route I am going to take first.

The first draft was much more focused on economics, but I realized that it was bogging the story down, and ultimately it has to entertain.  I toned down the economics so that it doesn't interfere with the story ( I hope) but still makes its points (I hope).

I really appreciate you taking the time to read it!

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Mon, May 24 2010 2:08 PM

@Jeremiah

Chapter 29, if memory serves.

I'm glad you are enjoying it!  Thanks again for your support!

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Mon, May 24 2010 2:09 PM

@MMMark

LOL!  Somebody call Heinlein!

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Mon, May 24 2010 2:10 PM

Jeremiah Dyke:
I'm up to the point where Alistars' men are stealing from a weapons ship.
omgg im not even there yet. Some people are slow readers.

Banned
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 814
Points 14,875

Gocrew,

You may have already done this but I'd recommend emailing libertarian organisations with a link to the pdf or even buy a few hard copies to lend out for reviewing purposes. I haven't read yet- I have very little time at the mo but it is bookmarked.

The atoms tell the atoms so, for I never was or will but atoms forevermore be.

Yours sincerely,

Physiocrat

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Mon, May 24 2010 8:59 PM

My Buddy read it in about three days.

Me... I'm on the slow end of the scale with you.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Mon, May 24 2010 9:00 PM

I haven't specifically targeted libertarian organizations except for this one... that's a very good idea.  Do you know of any you think would be especially good to contact?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050

Interesting, I shall give this a look & queue it up in my wish list @ amazon.  Might buy a copy regardless if I like it or not just to support new blood out there, also :)

I'm curious, what are your credentials (education, major etc.)?  

It's almost time for me to get out of the 9to5 nonsense temporarily & get back to college, & since i cannot seem to make up my mind, was considering majoring in English (maybe with sort of spicy minor to make it look less broad, I keep hearing subjective nonsense that it's next to "useless" from people with physics majors unable to get work so... :shrug: ) as I also have had interests in writing in general (obviously publishing stories, but editing, technical writing etc. doesn't scare me either).  

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Tue, May 25 2010 7:54 AM

Thank you for your interest, and thanks in advance if you do purchase Withur We.

My credentials in writing are practically non-existent.  I majored in Spanish at Ohio State and work as a Spanish interpreter.  I learned to write by reading and having my writing critiqued.

Best of luck with your writing.  It is harder work than you might suppose, and be prepared to revise and revise, especially early in your career.  Writing, as they say, is rewriting.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 814
Points 14,875
Physiocrat replied on Tue, May 25 2010 12:56 PM

As for organisations the ones that spring to mind are the Acton Institute, Cato and the Libertarian Allaince. For the latter email Sean Gabb on sean@libertarian.co.uk. I'd also send info to Geoffery Allan Plauche, he used frequent these forums and is now a lecturer; he also set up a forum dedicated to libertarian sci-fi.

The atoms tell the atoms so, for I never was or will but atoms forevermore be.

Yours sincerely,

Physiocrat

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 20
Points 340

I'm looking forward to reading this when I get home tonight. I've been on a science fiction kick lately, currently working on 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' by Robert Heinlein and it's definitely got me in the mood for more libertarian sci-fi. If I like your book, I'll make sure to put it on the request list at the library where I work, our collection is just terrible when it comes to libertarian and austrian economics books. One by one, I'm adding Mises, Hayek, Rothbard, Menger to our lists. :)

Avatar by me | Contact me if you need artwork or graphic design done for an Austrian/Libertarian/Anarchist purpose.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,113
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Wed, May 26 2010 6:08 AM

The book must be good to get such positive reviews here (this is a tough crowd). Congratulations! 

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 19
Points 275
Gewehr98 replied on Wed, May 26 2010 10:58 AM

The first draft was much more focused on economics, but I realized that it was bogging the story down, and ultimately it has to entertain.  I toned down the economics so that it doesn't interfere with the story ( I hope) but still makes its points (I hope).

I think you did a very good job with balancing out the economic side of the book while not taking away from the story line. The way you worked some basic free market/Austrian principles into Alistairs' dialogue was great. I think it will definitely give some 'uneducated' (those who are not well versed in AE, or free market principles) readers some food for thought. Perhaps even open up their world view a little bit, and get them started down the long road that is the study of liberty and a free market.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Wed, May 26 2010 9:41 PM

Physiocrat:
As for organisations the ones that spring to mind are the Acton Institute, Cato and the Libertarian Allaince. For the latter email Sean Gabb on sean@libertarian.co.uk. I'd also send info to Geoffery Allan Plauche, he used frequent these forums and is now a lecturer; he also set up a forum dedicated to libertarian sci-fi.

Fantastic!  Thank you very much!

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Wed, May 26 2010 9:42 PM

Maggie Gilmore:
I'm looking forward to reading this when I get home tonight. I've been on a science fiction kick lately, currently working on 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' by Robert Heinlein and it's definitely got me in the mood for more libertarian sci-fi. If I like your book, I'll make sure to put it on the request list at the library where I work, our collection is just terrible when it comes to libertarian and austrian economics books. One by one, I'm adding Mises, Hayek, Rothbard, Menger to our lists. :)

Awesome, Maggie!  Thank you so much!

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Wed, May 26 2010 9:44 PM

Esuric:
The book must be good to get such positive reviews here (this is a tough crowd). Congratulations! 

Thank you!  Feel free to give her a test drive any time!

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Wed, May 26 2010 9:45 PM

Gewehr98:
I think you did a very good job with balancing out the economic side of the book while not taking away from the story line. The way you worked some basic free market/Austrian principles into Alistairs' dialogue was great. I think it will definitely give some 'uneducated' (those who are not well versed in AE, or free market principles) readers some food for thought. Perhaps even open up their world view a little bit, and get them started down the long road that is the study of liberty and a free market.

Music to my ears!  Thank you very, very much!

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 753
Points 18,750

This book is really, really, really good

http://blog.mises.org/12834/libertarian-sci-fi-anyone/

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Sat, May 29 2010 10:49 AM

I'm pushing this up on my reading list. Though it may take a year before I get to it, kudos on the effort and for the positive endorsements. 

Z.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Sun, May 30 2010 4:04 PM

Jeremiah Dyke:
This book is really, really, really good

Thanks, buddy!  I really appreciate what you did.

I would have responded sooner but for some reason no notice of your post. was sent to my email.

I am so pleased you're enjoying it!

Page 1 of 4 (143 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS