Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

No Philosophy Forum?

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 9
Points 315
Richard D. Posted: Sat, Mar 15 2008 4:12 PM

Having followed AustrianForum.com for some time, I found that the eventual inclusion of a Philosophy discussion category led to some enriching discussions and various links to fascinating content.  Unfortunately, there would not seem to be a Philosophy discussion category on the Mises.com forums.  It seems to me that a forum inspired by a branch of economics with a strong philosophical tradition would have been quick to include a Philosophy category.  I see several users on mises.com asking questions of a largely philosophical nature in the economics or political forums.  What has happened, then, is that out of necessity, these users have brought their philosophical questions to various semi-relevant forums, causing those philosophical discussions to become scattered throughout the various other categories, making them harder to seek directly.

I would like to advocate the inclusion of a Philosophy Forum on Mises.com.  This category should probably showcase the idea of Misean Praxeology and promote ongoing discussions on that topic. 

I recommend that this is done sooner, rather than later, in order to minimize any resulting disruption, especially should it be decided that any existing forum posts need to be redirected to the new category.

Richard D.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 112
Points 1,460
TomG replied on Sat, Mar 15 2008 7:14 PM

I for one find your suggestion well-needed.  And I put the philosophical aspect of Austrian Economics well above that of its addressing problems in practical economics from the Austrian perspective.  I have been trying to get questions answered on: http://mises.com/forums/t/1549.aspx?PageIndex=7 but know that its discussions belong on more to the plain of arguments on the nature of man and even teleology/ontology.  A couple of key questions I'd like to have addressed are:  does a belief in free market as understood by libertarians and anarchists equally mean faith in optimal outcomes (or just that it's the best system available toward such, but in a flawed universe)?  and how is the concept of democracy - with its one person, one vote; and government by consent of the people - not most compatible with free market economics (given that any other devised rulership requires a yielding of some portion of each person's autonomy and proportional influence in the process)?  I'd like to see those two questions answered, but am frustrated that they're not read by those interested in questions at that higher, philosophical level - that's really the basis from which all the rest of economic assumptions flow.  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 901
Points 15,900
wombatron replied on Mon, Mar 17 2008 10:10 AM

I agree.  Many of the questions I have are philosophical in nature, and they usually end up getting thrown into the "General" forum.  A dedicated philosophy forum would be useful.  And think of the debates!  :-)

Market anarchist, Linux geek, aspiring Perl hacker, and student of the neo-Aristotelians, the classical individualist anarchists, and the Austrian school.

Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 415
jimbojr replied on Mon, Mar 17 2008 12:11 PM

I agree as well.

Hey Richard, what part of South Carolina are you from/at? I gew up in Sumter and now live in Charleston. Beer

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 814
Points 14,875

Bring the philosophy forum on.

The atoms tell the atoms so, for I never was or will but atoms forevermore be.

Yours sincerely,

Physiocrat

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,205
Points 20,670
JAlanKatz replied on Fri, Mar 21 2008 5:35 PM

I'd be in favor also.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 783
Points 14,645

I wholeheartedly agree, there should be a Philosophy category.

I am an eklektarchist not an anarchist.

Educational Pamphlet Mises Group

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050
Nitroadict replied on Fri, Mar 28 2008 12:19 AM

Even though I'm green, I strongly agree.

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS