Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

If Vaccines Didn't Eradicate Smallpox or Polio, What Did?

Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 56 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
2,028 Posts
Points 51,580
limitgov posted on Thu, May 27 2010 3:49 PM

I've heard doctors say that vaccines did not eradicate smallpox or polio, and in fact the outbreaks did not decrease after the vaccine was introduced.....what did eradicate those diseases then?

If you could post any sources that would be appreciated.

Thank you

• | Post Points: 105

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 50
Verified by limitgov

Unfortunatly there is mass ignorance on the subject of vaccinations. Your doctor and the drug companies would like you to believe that vaccinations have indead erradicated serious threats to human health. But that is very wrong.

I do not believe that your average doctor or  nurse is intentionally trying to harm you or your child when they suggest vaccinations.
They, sadly, are just as ignorant as the mass public, and choose to believe the drug companies claimes that vaccinations are the answer.

Reference the charts below.... In most (if not all cases) these miracle vaccinations that "erradicated" these terrible diseases were only introduced AFTER a major fall in the death rate due to the disease.

Polio deaths were almost nonexistant BEFORE the vaccine was introduced- and there was a minor rise in deaths after the introduction. Several years after the definintion of polio was changed and all deaths were blaimed on other diseases...

The doctors , assuming the vaccination was flawless, saw patients who appeared to have polio and had been vaccinated and thought it couldnt have possibly been polio ! And therefor the  diagnosis was not polio

This web site contains some very interesting information about polio

http://www.whale.to/vaccine/polio1.html

"Polio has not been eradicated by vaccination, it is lurking behind a redefinition and new diagnostic names like viral or aseptic meningitis.......According to one of the 1997 issues of the MMWR, there are some 30,000 to 50,000 cases of viral meningitis per year in the United States alone.  That's where all those 30,000 - 50,000 cases of polio disappeared after the introduction of mass vaccination"---Viera Scheibner

Polio has not been erradicated but meerly redifined.  Since the introduction of the vaccine and the supposed "erradication" of this disease new cases of polio are now labeled as other dieseases i am sure you have heard of

Viral or aseptic meningitis, Guillaine Barre Syndrome (GBS), Chinese Paralytic syndrome, CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME, epidemic cholera, cholera morbus, spinal meningitis, spinal apoplexy, inhibitory palsy, intermittent fever, famine fever, worm fever, bilious remittent fever, ergotism, ME, post-polio syndrome, acute flaccid paralysis  Synonyms for GBS]

There has also been similarity drawn to pellagra, beriberi, and other deficiency diseases.

I encourage you to research polio and some of these other diseases to see the similarities for yourself

Nutritional deficiencies!  If you do some of your own research on food around the turn of the last century you will find that for the first time in history of mankind the mass public has turned entirely to store bought processed foods  instead of growing raising and making all of their own food.

Outbreaks of Beri beri ( the deficiency disease listed above) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beriberi, and mental insanity were reported after wheat processors and distrubuters began to take the wheat germ out of their flour to produce a longer lasting product. The wheat germ  contains vital nutrients ( specifically thiamine b1)but also causes the flour to spoil quicker. This also applies to many other grains and foods. As it seems the vitamin rich parts of the food cause spoilage they are removed so that food suppliers can store the items for long peroids of time.

Food companies began to ENRICH ( ever look at your box of morning cereal, it has most likely been enriched) their products with synthetic vitamins to make up for the vitamins lost during processing.

This seems to have cleared up most of the major ( and OBVIOUS) health problems caused by food processing. However i strongly believe that this food enriched with synthetic vitamins still pales in comparison to real whole food

So now , because vaccinations have been touted as the cure for these diseases people get more and more vaccinations instead of strengthening their bodies with good nutrition.

Another note on polio vaccinations.

Between 1955 and  1963 at least 30 million doses of polio vaccination were contaminated with SV40 a monkey virus that has been linked to several times of cancer including brain and mesothelioma

THis is fact check out the information on the CDC  website

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/updates/archive/polio_and_cancer.htm#5

There have been many reports of other vaccinations being contaminated

for example recently ( THIS YEAR) there has been pig Virus DNA Found in Rotarix vaccination given to children

http://www.nvic.org/NVIC-Vaccine-News/April-2010/Vaccine-Contamination-Pig-Virus-DNA-Found-in-Rota.aspx

If you follow your doctors direction in regards to your childs health they will suggest up to 50 doses of vaccination by the age of 5.

If you do your own research you will find that ,like these early vaccinations, there is very little proof that ANY vaccination works,  along with lots of proof that vaccines cause many health problems.

The risks outweigh any perceived benefit-- especially when we are dealing with young, developing children

Nutrition is the answer

not vaccination

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 375

"but it doesn't" Actually it does increase. Take a close look at the original PDF file under magnification. Secondly, the graph showed that polio rates didn't go down and stay down until vaccines were introduced.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
233 Posts
Points 4,125
Metus replied on Wed, Dec 29 2010 6:43 PM

Zangelbert Bingledack,

The graph shows what we would expect from vaccine deployment: A massive fall in cases.

Doctors are paid by insurances which in turn are controlled by the state. The argumentation could end here but I will waste a few words on this. In Germany a physician gets big money for prescribing some drug but only a few bucks for prescribing sport or better nutrition. And sadly most people do not really want to do something about their lifes and visit the physician solely to get a pill and feel happy about it. I think people, expecially physicians, know that good nutrition and sports solves most health problems but people want the easy way out.

As to chemotherapy, I do not see how that has any meaning. A treatment that worsens a patients state is legitimate if doing otherwise worsens the state even more. But this has nothing to do with germs since cancer, except for a few types, is supposedly not caused by germs. I will not discuss the themes in this paragraph further.

Honeste vivere, nemimen laedere, suum cuique tribuere.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
166 Posts
Points 2,610

i agree that people also just want a pill. that is another part of it.

re: cancer is not germs...germs, pathogens, whatever---same concept, same approach. i think chemo is way overprescribed, although i am not prepared defend that claim. more like, if you think that as well, you may find my previous comments interesting.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
166 Posts
Points 2,610

MisguidedOpinions, the graph is quite inconclusive either way. nevertheless, the most obvious thing that sticks out is that polio peaked and fell more than it ever had fallen before PRIOR TO the introduction of the vaccine. this is hardly conclusive support for the vaccine.

i do not know enough about the actual polio vaccine to argue further; my only point is that that is not particularly solid statistical support for either conclusion.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,922 Posts
Points 79,590

MisguidedOpinions:
"but it doesn't" Actually it does increase. Take a close look at the original PDF file under magnification. Secondly, the graph showed that polio rates didn't go down and stay down until vaccines were introduced.

Do you have any data for polio cases prior to 1937?  Otherwise, all I see is a big spike after World War II, then the vaccine, then reported cases go back down.  Based on the graph, I have no idea whether the relatively low number of cases in the 1937-1943 period is an aberration, or whether the 1944-1956 spike is one.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 200 Contributor
Male
458 Posts
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 3:28 PM

tonyfernandez:
The school of economics that rejects empiricism?

Umm... no.

Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under - Mencken

Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 375

The data is from here. I can't find numbers going back before 1937, though I invite you to try.

Not Ranked
58 Posts
Points 1,380

Sieben:

Again, without wanting to do too much research, I have procured the following:

source: Sinclair, I. , 1992: Vaccination: the hidden facts, Ian Sinclair, Ryde, NSW.

One thing no one has pointed out, Sieben's graph does not list any numbers to the veertical axis under death rate. If you zoomed in far enough, the fluctuations would look astounding, but zoom out far enough, and the death rates could be utterly negligible.   

Top 200 Contributor
Male
478 Posts
Points 10,295

This is an interesting article (I don't know if one needs an academic subscription to see it; if that's the case, I can put up the pdf file somewhere): http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/281/1/61.full

Some figures:

This figure has polio data, but they are difficult to see:

The author states in the text about polio:

[P]olio mortality fell only marginally during the first 4 decades and then increased until the first polio vaccine was licensed in 1955. Polio mortality showed much year-to-year variability as well as a spike in 1916, corresponding to a major epidemic that started in New York City and swept through the northeastern United States during the summer of that year.14

The reference quoted [14] is: Rogers N. Dirt and Disease: Polio Before FDR. Piscataway, NJ: Rutgers University Press; 1992.

It's available ton Google Books online here in a limited preview, but I couldn't find the graphs that would zoom in on the incidence. I don't have time now (until the end of the weekend) to read the text in detail or look for hard copy (or full electronic copy) or other sources; maybe others can do it. In general, Google Scholar search is better for such things than general Google search.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
478 Posts
Points 10,295

There is also qualitative information about the history of polio on one of Wikipedia's articles.

All these graphs are at best correlatory. Another way to look at the role of vaccines is to look at what happens when people stop vaccinating (without change in hygenic conditions, food, etc.). From what I remember, there are cases in Africa (and US) where this happened. Stopping vaccination leads to increase in disease incidence. But I didn't look at the data in detail (this is from a Wikipedia article on vaccines; unfortunately, I don't have time to locate it right now).

Top 200 Contributor
Male
478 Posts
Points 10,295
Suggested by MaikU

It is also important to differentiate between incidence rate and death rate. Many of the diseases one is vaccinated against can be non-deadly (or less frequently deadly) under improved conditions of hygiene, food, etc.

So, for instance, this anti-vaccine graph shows death rate:

But this graph shows incidence rate:

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

Well, since you already bumped it...

Page 4 of 4 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS