Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

G20 drops support for fiscal stimulus

This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 2
Points 40
Larkin Posted: Sun, Jun 6 2010 6:42 AM

An comments on this article from FT.com? Ignoring how poorly it was written.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/786776b4-708f-11df-96ab-00144feabdc0.html

From FT.com (5 Jun 10) "Finance ministers from the world’s leading economies ripped up their support for fiscal stimulus on Saturday, recognising that financial market concerns over sovereign debt had forced a much greater focus on deficit reduction."

I really liked this statement: 

"Even Dominique Strauss Kahn, managing director of the International Monetary Fund who cham

And one from ol' faithful Keynesian Timmy: 

"Tim Geithner, US Treasury secretary, argued: “Concerns about growth as Europe makes needed policy adjustments threaten to undercut the momentum of the recovery”.

It still surprises me that the US is the primary interventionist here, I guess I am still recovering from my conservative upbringing. China lets its insurance bank fail and the US is trying to save everything. What the hell has happened?

Does anyone here believe they will change Fiscal policy; can they break from the money printing addiction (quantitative easingcrying).

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Mon, Jun 7 2010 3:18 PM

The political clout they get from these destructive stimuli are not as great as the fall out.  So far I count 5 stimuli in the USA alone and they have done nothing to stem the tide of unemployment and lost productive capacity.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 2
Points 40
Larkin replied on Mon, Jun 14 2010 4:39 PM

Since I posted this the watch word here in the UK (and across the continent) has become "fiscal austerity." Let the welfare-drunk masses begin the riots.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 265
Points 4,725

Larkin:
Since I posted this the watch word here in the UK (and across the continent) has become "fiscal austerity." Let the welfare-drunk masses begin the riots.
The only reason they dropped fiscal stimulus from the vernacular is because it's not politically feasible anymore. The ownership class, the statists, they're shielded from a lot of this crap while the poor and middle-class weather the storm.

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up somebody else." Booker T. Washington
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 90
peon replied on Thu, Jun 24 2010 11:16 AM

It's odd because here in Toronto about 4 blocks from the convention centre where the G8/G20 are meeting they need $1.2 billion in security, chainlink fences, police, etc.. Yet I've never heard of the Mises having an economic meeting discussing local ownership, gold-backed currencies, privacy rights, questions about globalization, etc, and requiring any police at all to protect them. If the G20's ideas are so useful, why don't they just discuss them in an open forum like this one. frown

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

A politician would spend 50% of GDP on a mousetrap, nevermind security.  Steven Harper and the CP are afficionados of grandiosity as well.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS