Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Looking for good quote

This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 375
i2idotorg Posted: Fri, Mar 21 2008 1:05 AM

Hey everyone,

I recently got a supply and demand graph tattoo on my inner bicep and I'm looking for a good 4, maybe 5 word quote or saying to go above and below the graph.  My initial idea was to put "These laws" above and "cannot be broken" below.  I'm not completely sold on "These laws cannot be broken" yet, but I am sold on the "these laws" part of it.  (However, I'm open to anything at this point).  I'd like to convey that economic laws are immutable and everlasting.  Any Mises or Rothbard quotes would obviously be even better. 

So far I've come up with - "These laws cannot be broken" and "These laws: immutable truth"

Any good quotes you can think of?

Thanks!

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 86
Points 1,390
How about something related to Say's Law? "Markets Clear," perhaps? Or, "It's not one or the other."
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 14
Points 220

After... good lord it has been two hours now... of consideration I would suggest you use Eternal Truth // Economics and that you use the Greek language and alphabet.  Being not a fool I shall not pretend to know the entire purpose nor the depth of meaning that both the tattoo and economics mean to you.  That being said, I shall hope that you find it good judgement to use your tattoo to pay respect to the time and place that made economic law both commonly known and commonly used.  I have no degree so there are two things I am uncertain of:  1) How the Phoenecians ran thier markets and 2) Whether the Greek agora (αγορά) was the true birth of the common market.  I think the answer to #1 is very crudely with much disorder (almost none if any central places of barter) and I also think that #2 is more accurate than not, though I have not reserched the birth of the Oriental markets.  These translations were done with Intertran's free online tool.  The word Immutable has no direct Greek translation.

These laws - αυτοί δίκη

Cannot be broken - κανόνι να είμαι σπασμένος 

Eternal truth - αιώνιος αλήθεια

Economics - οικονομικά 

Market - αγορά 

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 375
i2idotorg replied on Fri, Mar 21 2008 1:04 PM

Thanks for the input thus far fellas.  I'm really starting to like markets clear. 

As for using Greek, it's a good idea, but I'm set on using a font called Liberty and writing it in English.  Although having it in Greek is a good conversation piece, I am dead set on using Liberty font (for obvious reasons).  The tattoo is basically a statement of my life.  I have been studying econ since 2000 and now it's my profession.  I'm lucky enough to work for a free market think tank, the only of its kind here in Colorado.  Economics is my first love and my life basically.

Any more ideas?   

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator

Just so you know, some of that Greek is wrong. It should be aeonia aletheia. The second phrase is totally incorrect, and the first is also wrong. A good proxy for immutable in greek is aparaviatoi, meaning inviolable. Aparaviatoi nomoi means inviolable laws.

If you want my opinion, use Lex Aeterna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,205
Points 20,670
JAlanKatz replied on Fri, Mar 21 2008 9:20 PM

All I can tell you is that, if I weren't Jewish, I'd go with "Do not give in to evil..." 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS