Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Is ABCT 'postmodern'?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 87 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
1,037 Posts
Points 17,975
John Ess posted on Fri, Jun 18 2010 12:56 PM

We know that it is hated by positivists from Friedman to Keynes.  We also know it is criticized for being unscientific and deductive in its formulation.  It is not derived by the scientific method, per se.  It is a claim about the pretense of knowledge:  of price signals, of the how interest rates work, about time preferences, etc.  it seems to be that all other theories but this one claim that a man in a building somewhere can masterfully navigate a complex economy.  Regardless of polycentric attitudes and increasingly changing and fluxuating interests and demands.

There is also a sense in which the anti-Fed position is in many ways all of these things.  It is also criticized for 'destabilizing' markets and undoing rational planning.  Both decentering and the opposition to rational schemes of discourse and planning are both hallmarks of the postmodern.  It seems to me that people claim that it is modern in that it supposes the superiority of markets in determining interest rates, money supply, which commodities are valued (like gold or silver), etc.  But isn't the ABCT not a positive theory, but a negative one?

In the best case scenario, i think, it could be sold to either people who want markets or people who just want a skepticism of the current pretenses in economic discourse.  From there, it hardly matters which way they want to take it.  Since it is better that they understand it as it is than not to do so.  But it might be worth wondering if the ABCT is postmodern in itself.  Or if it contributes to that conversation in philosophy.  If for no other reason than shining a light on how economic conditions get to be how they are. 

One last note: it would seem that the Fed itself has a sort of postmodern ambiguity to it.  It seems non-ideological or so we are told.  It seems to be private, but at the same time 'private cannot be trusted to do its job the same way.'  It is said to be in the public interest, but is not used by the public at all.  It interupts the binary discourse about private/public and state/enterprise, because of this ambiguity.  Far from demonizing the public for the good of the private, it might be worth exploring the fact that there is no such distinction.  But that either terms have been intentionally chosen in order to create distinct spheres.  And further emphasize the need never draw a distinction and to hold both as simply aggregates of people who must have the same rules.  Again, this seems to be a further decentering; from a binary into perhaps an infinite of spheres.  Where each person is held accountable.

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,249 Posts
Points 29,610

nirgrahamUK:
calling yourself an experimental economist somehow proves that economic truth can be learned experimentally like a physical science?

No, but earning a Nobel prize and the esteem of colleagues sure makes you wonder...

"I'm not a fan of Murray Rothbard." -- David D. Friedman

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
7,105 Posts
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Makes you wonder how someone like Krugman can propound the boken window fallacy and not have his prize revoked

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,255 Posts
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Austrian methodology overly relies upon folk psychology, as far as I'm concerned. I would like to see an Austrian economist seriously grapple with Paul and Patricia Churchland's eliminative materialism.

Could you tell me why they would have to? I'd seriously like either of them to grapple with the problems their own philosophical tripe faces.

Vernon Smith, the famous "experimental economist" (thereby disproving the claims made by Mises and Rothbard that economics can't be studied experimentally

Wow, got us there. I can't tell if you're trolling or just over-excitable. The fact that Vernon delves in a field called "experimental economics" no more proves its possibility than the existence of astrologers proves the veracity of astrology. Now I don't mean to say they're on par, but that is effectively that to which your argument reduces.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,260 Posts
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Neoclassical,

Care for a one-on-one debate over methodological dualism?

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,055 Posts
Points 41,895

Makes you wonder how someone like Krugman can propound the boken window fallacy and not have his prize revoked

Why wonder?  All economics prizes are awarded by central banks.

Not Ranked
Male
90 Posts
Points 1,480

Wow, got us there. I can't tell if you're trolling or just over-excitable. The fact that Vernon delves in a field called "experimental economics" no more proves its possibility than the existence of astrologers proves the veracity of astrology. Now I don't mean to say they're on par, but that is effectively that to which your argument reduces.

It's even funnier because Vernon Smith calls himself a Hayekian, and he most certainly would never dare call himself a neo-classical in the same vein of the poster bearing the same name.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,249 Posts
Points 29,610

Vernon Smith is a Hayekian because he advocates "ecological rationality" over "constructivist rationality," and he has a particular interest in Hayek's psychology.

Of course, that no way is the same as endorsing a Misesian methodology, which you seem to imply. And, furthermore, what makes Smith a Hayekian is what makes him at odds with Rothbard.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,249 Posts
Points 29,610

Grayson Lilburne, think you can handle it? laugh

I know where you'll go... "The physical sciences study non-human phenomena, but you wouldn't describe a train stop as a movement of elementary particules, would you? You'd decide the motives and purpose action of the people present. QED."

My big question: can Austrian economics, conceived as praxeology, be reformulated in purely positivistic terms?

Let me be plain: all patterns can be formalized mathematically; can Austrian economics conform to that? Quoting Rothbard, "Moreover, even if verbal economics could be successfully translated into mathematical sysmbols..." Can it?

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,249 Posts
Points 29,610

Jon Irenicus:

You don't believe Smith actually performs economically-related experiments that reveal insightful outcomes?

Astrology is more comparable to Austrian economics than to experimental studies, my friend.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,255 Posts
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

You don't believe Smith actually performs economically-related experiments that reveal insightful outcomes?

Insightful outcomes =/= economic theorising.

Astrology is more comparable to Austrian economics than to experimental studies, my friend.

No, considering it deals with predictions it'd find its sister "science" in positivist economics, ironically.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 500 Contributor
304 Posts
Points 4,860

Physics experiment also reveal insightful outcomes, but only if backed by solid mathematical reasoning.

The older I get, the less I know.
Not Ranked
Male
90 Posts
Points 1,480

Vernon Smith is a Hayekian because he advocates "ecological rationality" over "constructivist rationality," and he has a particular interest in Hayek's psychology.

Of course, that no way is the same as endorsing a Misesian methodology, which you seem to imply. And, furthermore, what makes Smith a Hayekian is what makes him at odds with Rothbard.

I never said that he endorsed a Misesian methodology.  Though, Vernon Smith most certainly is not a neoclassical so I still don't see why you're endorsing him.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,249 Posts
Points 29,610

What would you call his methodology?

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,249 Posts
Points 29,610

nirgrahamUK:

Haven't listened to it yet myself, but its hot off the press.

http://mises.org/media/5260

Audio (.mp3, .wav, etc.) Friedman and Mises on Method

Showing that Milton Friedman’s criticism of Austrian apriorism and his criticism of the Austrian rejection of unrealistic economic models are rooted in the same philosophical mistake. Recorded 30 July 2010 in Auburn, Alabama. [59:48]

Roderick T. Long Friday, July 30, 2010  

How disapppointing!

In nearly an hour, all he did was make the same point repeatedly. He was right when, at the beginning, he stated that the audience members picked the wrong lecture.

Here is the argument made by the short-on-breath Long:

1. The map is not the territory.
2. Abstracting certain details (such as trees) is okay, so long as you are not explicitly stating there are no trees.
3. Stating there are no trues when there are trees is false.

The debate on methodology has many threads; I can't believe Long didn't explore them (since I usually appreciate his thinking).

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,249 Posts
Points 29,610

Let me pose a challenge to all of you (made originally by Bryan Caplan to Bob Murphy): Name any absolutely certain non-tautological claim about the economy, and I'll be happy to wager a fractional penny against everything you'll ever own - even if I think you're almost certainly right.

Previous | Next
Page 4 of 6 (88 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS