Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

LaVeyan Satanism

This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,434
Points 29,210
BrianAnderson Posted: Mon, Jun 21 2010 3:34 AM

I was wondering if anyone has read Anton LaVey's "The Satanic Bible". For all of you who don't know, LaVeyan Satanism is an atheistic 'religion'. It's more of a set of ideals, but you know. I finished his book sometime last year, and I have to say I agreed with a lot of what he talked about. There was a lot of talk about reliance on yourself and your friends to care for loved ones as opposed to a higher authority (that being both the police and a higher deity). I was raised Catholic, and I love my religion. But, all of that aside, I felt I could really get along with many of the people who believe fully in LaVeyan Satanism's teachings.

For anyone who is familiar with LaVeyan Satanism at all, do you think that it supports a good set of ideals with which to teach children, or do you think it's a system of beliefs into which people must grow as they get older and learn the ways of the world?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

People who read Anton Lavey are laughed from beyond the grave by Anton Lavey. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

whatever the truth is, is what children need too.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,289
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Mon, Jun 21 2010 6:20 AM

I like the original Bible more. There is more violence in it.

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

(english is not my native language, sorry for grammar.)

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Mon, Jun 21 2010 7:16 AM

Yes. Its basically just rhetoric. Some of it is holier-than-thou bs, such as their restrictions on eating animals. Not really worth looking into. Ask the 35 year old guy with dreadlocks and a smily face tatoo working at hot topic for more info.

Banned
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Jun 21 2010 7:47 AM

I've read the Satanic Bible, and it's pretty short at 99 pages (60 if you don't want to read the part on rites and rituals).  I remember someone telling me it's a lot like Might Is Right by Ragner Redbeard, which LaVey does make reference to.  I always thought of the Satanic Bible as wrapping up Objectivism as short as possible.  It's a good read, but you don't have to be a member of the church or follow his type of Satanism to abide by such things.  I think what he's stating is a given (don't murder people or animals, don't rape, respect people's rights, etc).  If you have any interest in the CoS look into the Temple of Set.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Mon, Jun 21 2010 1:40 PM

I find myself amused at the lengths people are willing to go, the stupid names and rites they’re willing to take up, to avoid that simple word “atheism”.

PS: That being, said, between Enki and Enlil I certainly side with Enki, i.e. ”Satan” devil

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 186
Points 6,000
ravochol replied on Mon, Jun 21 2010 6:10 PM

There was a lot of talk about reliance on yourself and your friends to care for loved ones as opposed to a higher authority

Supposedly LaVey took Catholic charity when he was down on his luck later in life and died in a Catholic hospital...

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,434
Points 29,210

Yeah, I found it surprising when I read that he died in a Catholic hospital. I personally like Peter H. Gilmore more than Anton LaVey simply because Gilmore always seems very down-to-earth. LaVey almost seemed very 'commercial' when he was alive, but I guess he had to be in order to start the Church of Satan in the first place.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Jun 22 2010 3:17 PM

I read as much of it as I could stand. Too snarky and philosophically transparent, especially for something calling itself a "bible".

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS