Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

General McChrystal

This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,434
Points 29,210
BrianAnderson Posted: Tue, Jun 22 2010 9:11 AM

Do you guys think it was a good idea for General McChrystal to speak out against the Obama Administration in the fashion he did? Clearly he's a four-star general and is an intelligent man, but I was just wondering how people feel about him speaking to Rolling Stone instead of resigning and then talking out against the policies and actions President Obama has been taking.

I personally think that his interview with Rolling Stone, while it might not have been very 'polite' (for lack of a better word), this will definitely attract more of the public's attention.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 186
Points 6,000
ravochol replied on Tue, Jun 22 2010 10:15 AM

is the article on line?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,434
Points 29,210

No, it's not out yet. The e-mail I received from The Washington Post said it hits newsstands on Friday, so I'm really excited to read it.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 186
Points 6,000
ravochol replied on Tue, Jun 22 2010 11:19 AM

Obama seems to me to always back down in face of powerful interests - the banks, the health care industry, the Pentagon, the Israel lobby - I can't think of a single example of him standing up to any entrenched interest. 

I guess that's why McCrystal feels safe doing this - he doesn't think Obama has the guts to fire him.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Tue, Jun 22 2010 11:52 AM

That's for print. It is on the internet here: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/17390/119236

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,434
Points 29,210

Oh, amazing! Thank you for the link!

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 107
Points 1,990

edit: I read the thing and honestly I think it is too late to start a successful counter-insurgency operation.  Had we went in there and started with counter insurgency we might be well on our way to a stable Afghanistan.  But we've already done too much damage to successfully convince them.

I also think they underestimate just how much the war in Iraq has undermined the Counter-insurgency strategy.

I just don't think it's possible to undo the psychological damage we've already caused, much less convince them to trust us.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS