Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Are More Gov't Takeovers a Good Thing?

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 96
Points 2,270
CoolUserName Posted: Thu, Jun 24 2010 10:25 AM

Since everything they touch turns to shit.  Will this create an anti-statist society and people?  If they takeover more industry and collapse on their own?

I've heard this from Molynuex and I think others.  But are they twisted in their thinking?  I think he's even gone so far as to say if you do get involved in politics you should be on the statist side and expand gov't as much as possible to speed up the collapse.  Again, I appreciate any thoughts on this.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Thu, Jun 24 2010 10:30 AM

The DPS and post office are really bad but no one seems to care...

Banned
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 156
Points 3,140

I wish it worked that way. But government is really good at making the masses believe the failures are not the government's fault. There's always propaganda and scapegoats. Of course Big Media happily aids their efforts.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,966
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Thu, Jun 24 2010 10:42 AM

Advocating for Statism in order to achieve freedom seems like one of those really desperate and counterproductive ideas.

"The Santa Claus principle liquidates itself" (Mises, HA)

Although Mises never claimed it was the only way to liquidate Santa, I would regrettably agree with the notion that it may be the only likely scenario.  But freedom is not likely to follow if the vast public remains so ignorant.  I don't see how you can prepare the groundwork for freedom if you advocate against freedom.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 96
Points 2,270

Thanks again.  I guess my next question is:  Is low IQ the reason many people are statist?

Not that all libertarians are genius or something, but they believe they can "make it on their own," etc.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS