Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Price Control on Condoms?

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 320
Elfdemon Posted: Sun, Jun 27 2010 9:29 AM

Would you agree on a price control on condoms? It is overly-expensive compared to  the cost to make them. They are made of latex or plastic materials which are extremly cheap yet the retail price of the final product is very high.

Before you say that a price control would decrease production and cause shortage, I don't agree. Because condoms, unlike other materials such as oil, are of almost infinite supply, just like plastic bags. The cost of production of condoms is comparable to that of a plastic bag, or maybe even lower. So there is no reason to charge so much for a product which is essentially a mini fortified plastic bag. The condom companies are making supernormal profit, they would still be profitable if a price control kicks in and force them to make only normal profits.

The price control would likely to create more demand among the populace, because the lower price would attract more people to buy it, including those who would otherwise have un-protected sex. This greatly increased consumption of condoms would in turn benefit the health of the society as it decreases the prevalence of STDs and prevents unwanted pregnancies, these in turn decrease the health expenditure of the government, which in turn decrease the burden of taxpayers.

I really don't see why such a price control has not been already enacted. The only one who will lose are those big companies who make condoms and charge an outrageous price for these. Everyone else WINS, the government wins as it decrease the healthy expense, the tax payers wins because their taxes would not be wasted on things (STDs, pregnancies etc. )which could be prevented, the people who have sex wins, every single one in the society wins except those greedy condom companies.

So what is your opinion on this?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Sun, Jun 27 2010 9:50 AM

The condom companies are making supernormal profit,
Citation? If it is so easy to make condoms so cheaply, why not enter the market? You could make a fortune.

Banned
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sun, Jun 27 2010 11:04 AM

You can get free condoms at many places.  I remember 6-7 years ago Warped Tour would hand out tons of condoms, so many we'd blow them into balloons and throw them around.  I'm sure clinics also have condoms as well as other places or other social groups or organizations.

You are only looking at the material factors, but not considering the subjective use value.  Yes, it's a piece of latex, but if I use this simple piece of latex that has been made specifically for sexual use, I won't get a sexually transmitted disease, nor will I get my girlfriend pregnant.  That seems like a deal for a 12 pack of condoms for $8.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,687
Points 48,995

Yea, most planned parenthoods give out loads of free condoms if you go in there with your girlfriend and both of you get checked.  Also, you can get relatively cheap condoms at any sex store, and in Spain pharmacies sell condoms for cheap in dispensers outside of the actual building (so you can get them even when the pharmacy is closed).

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Sun, Jun 27 2010 12:06 PM

I actually did some checking and the parent corporations of durex and trojan have experienced pretty high growth rates... like 20%/yr over the last few years. This is probably not due to any innovations in the condom making process, but might have something to do with all the government involvement? Passing out free condoms etc.... I mean if you can't get people to use them you may as well have them blowing them up like baloons at the warped tour huh :)

Banned
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sun, Jun 27 2010 12:12 PM

At 15 years old making condom balloons and bouncing them up on stage felt like an accomplishment.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Sun, Jun 27 2010 12:15 PM

Hah it wasn't a shot at you... I was commenting on the negligent way condoms have become distributed by the state.

Banned
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sun, Jun 27 2010 12:24 PM

Ha, I know.  If someone's passing out free condoms the chances they'll be used for sexual reasons is low.  If I purchase them myself it's different than getting a free surplus of maybe 20 condoms, of course I'll use them for mischief.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 753
Points 18,750

The condom companies are making supernormal profit,
Citation? If it is so easy to make condoms so cheaply, why not enter the market? You could make a fortune.

50 Cent actually tried entering the condom market. The market is that of brand name and trust. The problem is that the costs of sex are so extremely high and the demand for sex is so high that no company can wedge into the market. Brand x condom which sells for %50 less is not worth the risk and to build the level of trust needed for profits means you have to advertise. Costs per unit of condom are low but the you must factor in advertising in your per unit cost 

Read until you have something to write...Write until you have nothing to write...when you have nothing to write, read...read until you have something to write...Jeremiah 

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,289
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Sun, Jun 27 2010 4:58 PM

Government to control condom prices???? hahahaha. The more people there are, the more taxpayers there are, the more money to government, the richer politicians get.

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

(english is not my native language, sorry for grammar.)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS