Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

I have run out of mises.org media. :(

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 946
Points 15,410
MacFall Posted: Sun, Mar 23 2008 11:34 PM

It has been roughly one and a half years since my introduction to mises.org and Austrian economics in general. I work in a warehouse and usually listen to my mp3 player for about 8 hours a day. So with my interest in Mises piqued I naturally started listening to the mises.org audio library.

And now I have listened to all of it. Every lecture, every conference, every audiobook. So now, what the heck am I going to do with my mp3 player for 8 hours a day? I get bored listening to music, talk radio makes me want to throw things, and I've gone through all my sci-fi audiobooks.

This is not optimal.

Pro Christo et Libertate integre!

• | Post Points: 125
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 95
MacFall:
So now, what the heck am I going to do with my mp3 player for 8 hours a day?
http://www.pilkipedia.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Download:Xfm
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 481
Points 7,280
DBratton replied on Mon, Mar 24 2008 3:39 AM

Try the Abbeville Institute. Some of the folks you hear here also have some mp3 files available there.

Also, many of the Teaching Company lectures are excellent. You can buy them online (or ya know ...do the Bittorrent thing).

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 299
Points 4,430
Bank Run replied on Mon, Mar 24 2008 5:32 AM

Hi mac, now the literature will be more easy to adapt, good luck.

I've seen some good lookin' audio from other places, y'might spend though. Perhaps, it is time to use the record feature, create your own. See how all that goo works on people. 

Who is your favorite? I have trouble with Mises dialect. I feel warm with LeFevre's.

My favorite is the Hayek memorial, makes me want to seek out more. 

Individualism Rocks

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 212
Points 3,430
Twirlcan replied on Mon, Mar 24 2008 5:41 AM

I too listen to them at work but only when I work the graveyard shift watching computer processes.

I wish I had access to them when I was a truck driver years ago, but then mp3 players were only 16mb , really expensive and more importantly I had never heard of them.

I like Hoppe's lectures.  He speaks the precise English that someone who has it as a second language often does and it is very easy to listen to because of that.

http://www.comebackalive.com/phpBB2 Travel, Adventure Travel, Arguments, Recipes.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 252
Points 4,230
Morty replied on Mon, Mar 24 2008 9:23 AM

I know you said you don't like talk radio, but I have to recommend Free Talk Live anyway. It is a real libertarian talk show. One of the main hosts is an an-cap and the other a minarchist (they also have various other co-hosts throughout the week, most of them an-caps). It is really great, does a 2 hour (not including commercials) show six days a week, and gives all its archives away for free.

http://freetalklive.com/ 

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 597
Points 12,920
Staff
SystemAdministrator
jtucker replied on Mon, Mar 24 2008 9:38 AM

That's actually astonishing! I'm glad we are upload this stuff!  

Publisher, Laissez-Faire Books

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator
Inquisitor replied on Mon, Mar 24 2008 10:40 AM
Ugh... I'm still going through Roderick Long's lectures. It'll take me forever to even get half way through the media list!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 123
Points 2,785
BWF89 replied on Mon, Mar 24 2008 12:18 PM

Morty:
I know you said you don't like talk radio, but I have to recommend Free Talk Live anyway.

I was going to recommend that as well.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 946
Points 15,410
MacFall replied on Mon, Mar 24 2008 3:44 PM

jtucker:

That's actually astonishing! I'm glad we are upload this stuff!  

As am I. I have mises.org to thank (profs. Hoppe and Reisman in particular) for nudging me down the path that finally brought me out of my statist fog sometime last year when I read (actually, "listened to") The Ethics of Liberty. And I now have what I can guiltlessly call a "healthy obsession" with Austrian economics - a worthy academic pursuit that my former life lacked.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 946
Points 15,410
MacFall replied on Mon, Mar 24 2008 3:45 PM

BWF89:

Morty:
I know you said you don't like talk radio, but I have to recommend Free Talk Live anyway.

I was going to recommend that as well.

I was referring to "conservative" talk radio. I used to be a big fan of Quinn, Beck, Rush, Hannity et al. Now it just makes me cranky.

I've never listened to FTL, I guess I'll have to remedy that. Thanks to both of you for the suggestion.

Who is your favorite? I have trouble with Mises dialect. I feel warm with LeFevre's.

I think I enjoyed LeFevre's commentaries the most as a whole, although I find I agree with the conclusions reached by Rothbard, Hoppe, Block, etc. more than LeFevre's. Also, Block's seminar on Radical Libertarianism was probably the most interesting to me (not that any of the Mises.org media is uninteresting. I think Long's lectures were the most enlightening intellectually.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator
Personally, I love Dr Reisman's lectures. He has an excellent speaking voice. Hoppe is good too, very clear. Long, Murphy and Sechrest are great too.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 151
Points 2,240
nje5019 replied on Mon, Mar 24 2008 9:02 PM

I thought i'd use this thread to thank the Mises Institute for all the uploaded audio content, as well as the streaming audio during things like the ASC. Such a wealth of education in audio form has been instrumental in sparking my interest in Austrian Economics, so i can't thank you enough.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,083
Points 17,700
Niccolò replied on Tue, Mar 25 2008 2:09 AM

I'm really itching for the rest of ASC to be uploaded.  

The Origins of Capitalism

And for more periodic bloggings by moi,

Leftlibertarian.org

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 130
Points 2,625
gussosa replied on Tue, Mar 25 2008 9:03 AM

I would like to have Human Action and Man, Economy & State in mp3. Oh, and the De Soto book too!

Any intern with a nice voice to read them aloud?

Pity the theory which sets itself up in opposition to the mind!

Carl Von Clausewitz

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 123
Points 2,785
BWF89 replied on Tue, Mar 25 2008 10:50 AM

MacFall:
I was referring to "conservative" talk radio. I used to be a big fan of Quinn, Beck, Rush, Hannity et al. Now it just makes me cranky.

I used to be a big fan of Michael Savage.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 946
Points 15,410
MacFall replied on Tue, Mar 25 2008 11:12 AM

BWF89:

MacFall:

I used to be a big fan of Michael Savage.

Yeah, me too. I still prefer him to all the others, because he hates both major parties. But he's a big protectionist, and that's a deal breaker for me.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 15,105

Twirlcan:
I wish I had access to them when I was a truck driver years ago...

Now you shamed me into cleaning out some space on my ipod so I can do something useful while driving.

Where to start though... 

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 105

I've gone through close to 90% of the stuff that's available.  Paul Cantor's lectures on culture and the arts was probably the most mindblowing individual experience I've had but all of it is unbelievably helpful and transformative, especially when the same material is re-examined in recurring events from year to year.

Really freaky to hear that there are other Quinn listeners out there.  I used to hear him in Pittsburgh and even went to his first "Churchill Night" (named for Winston, not for me) where the idea was to smoke cigars and drink port at an old place called Kangaroo's. 

Can't listen to all those pro-war guys, though, and most don't really know enough about economics to be interesting.  While they are great at pointing out the foibles of the left one observes in time that the right is guilty of all the same things (and vice versa).  Eventually you just have to go in a different direction.  I will credit Limbaugh for this, though, and Camille Paglia has commented to similar effect, he has broken the establishment stranglehold on permissable thought and he has done many years of yoeman's work in slowly educating lots of people about certain things.  Not a bad place to start if that's all you have...

Anyway, the internet is fantastic and LVMI's decision to make so much first class material available for free (both for its own sake *and* as a loss-leader) will do more good for more people than almost anything I can think of.

Thanks again.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 946
Points 15,410
MacFall replied on Wed, Mar 26 2008 4:54 PM

I've lived in the Pittsburgh area for all but the first year and a half of my life. Quinn is syndicated now nationwide. I still listen from time to time, because he's really one of the most astute observers of politics, and not economically ignorant compared to, say, Hannity. I think he'd be qualify as a genuine minarchist if he weren't scared into security-statism with the bulk of the rest of the conservative herd.

On a tangent, my location tag, "The steel bucke of the Rust Belt", is Quinn's endearment for the 'Burgh.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS