Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

"Fatal flaw" in ABCT?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 26 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
166 Posts
Points 2,355
Marked posted on Sat, Jul 3 2010 7:31 AM

I've been having a friendly debate with somebody these past few days, and he's raised a question that I'm unable to counter due to a pounding headache stripping me of complex thought processes.

"why do middle-stage goods decline in supply, forcing savings and directly precipitating the 'bust?'"

Answers appreciated.

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Not Ranked
7 Posts
Points 110
Verified by Marked

Well, you seemed to at first be at a loss as to what they were at all, and a few of the original posts here, possibly through miscommunication (or a different, possibly better understanding than me!), gave answers that seemed to suggest no concept existed, when that isn't true.

Anyhow, when interest rates are lowered artificially, our consumer  is actually motivated to spend even more than before and to save even less, which ends up with him buying more goods than before. Since the higher orders of production are malinvested in other, faulty ventures, the producers of 'middle goods' do not gain enough access to resources to increase their supplies to keep pace with increased demand. As a result, prices rise, savings are forced and the bust begins

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Not Ranked
7 Posts
Points 110

Which then would make the analogy appropriate, because Robinson misallocated his resources by investing in a faulty venture based on bad information.

Top 10 Contributor
7,105 Posts
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I agree that a fisherman could be misled into a malinvestment ( and more easily if his government issues fake-inedible fish into existence in his stock, they ain't helpin' even if it 'feels good' to wake up to more things that look like fish in your store than you had put there the night before)

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Points 110

Well it seems like that was the purpose of the analogy. It was just a crude analogy, but I got the point of it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
166 Posts
Points 2,355
Marked replied on Fri, Jul 16 2010 7:20 AM

He's still whining about the "fatal flaw" of ABCT not properly taking into account middle-stage goods. He pointed out that article about empirically examining the ABCT as proof of middle-stage goods being a key component of the theory. Now he's accusing me of being naive because he's given me a headache from trying to reason with him over his stubborn position. Help?

Top 10 Contributor
7,105 Posts
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

what is the definition of 'middle stage good' ? higher stage and lower stage are categories to which any good can be related to any other good.

this tree is higher than that log

this log is higher than those cut blocks

those blocks are higher than those carved ornaments.

and the otherway...

These cut blocks are lower than this tree.

This ornament  is lower than that log.

how does this work with middle order? does he just mean that the cut blocks are between ornaments and logs.

which is another way to say that its a higher order good than an ornament and a lower order good than a log ?

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Points 110

As I said before, it's just a different way of framing the problem. 'Middle stage goods' refers to that area between the highest and lowest. It's the area that is pulled at by both sides during the boom. Some Austrians prefer to stick with higher v lower, whereas others use the 'middle' terminology. Different names for the same thing.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,592 Posts
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Fri, Jul 16 2010 8:13 PM

Don't all goods get pulled depending on how new money is injected to the economy? If below market interest rate loans were offered exclusively to poor consumers, capital structures would shift as if consumers had expressed a higher time preference, leading to fewer long term investments and an eventual general shortage.

Same central bank... same theory about the function of interest rates. Just all depends *how* the credit is injected into the market.

Banned
Top 500 Contributor
166 Posts
Points 2,355
Marked replied on Sat, Jul 17 2010 7:20 AM

what is the definition of 'middle stage good' ? higher stage and lower stage are categories to which any good can be related to any other good.

https://mises.org/journals/qjae/pdf/qjae9_2_4.pdf

Makes a reference to middle-stage goods in the ABCT. Then again, it's an empirical examination of the theory, so...

Not Ranked
7 Posts
Points 110
OpTimus replied on Sat, Jul 17 2010 11:11 AM

All goods get 'pulled' in some way or another, but the reason for the bust is the inherent tension between the lack of savings and the malinvested funds.

I'm not sure why you've been hung up on this for so long. Middle stage goods is an acceptable term. I've heard it used before and it's not even a big deal. The answer to the question is extremely simple, and I've never even heard a statist/Keynesian counter with anything effective

Top 500 Contributor
166 Posts
Points 2,355
Marked replied on Mon, Jul 19 2010 7:15 AM

Believe me, I'm not the one hung up on this. As I mentioned, someone I've been debating with continually refers to middle-stage goods as his "critique" of the ABCT.

Not Ranked
7 Posts
Points 110
Verified by Marked

Well, you seemed to at first be at a loss as to what they were at all, and a few of the original posts here, possibly through miscommunication (or a different, possibly better understanding than me!), gave answers that seemed to suggest no concept existed, when that isn't true.

Anyhow, when interest rates are lowered artificially, our consumer  is actually motivated to spend even more than before and to save even less, which ends up with him buying more goods than before. Since the higher orders of production are malinvested in other, faulty ventures, the producers of 'middle goods' do not gain enough access to resources to increase their supplies to keep pace with increased demand. As a result, prices rise, savings are forced and the bust begins

Top 500 Contributor
166 Posts
Points 2,355
Marked replied on Tue, Jul 20 2010 7:16 AM

Thank you. Indeed, I must admit that I wasn't clear at first myself, and apologize for any misunderstandings or inconsistencies I appeared to exhibit regarding middle-stage goods.

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS