Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Thoughts on a "working privilege card"?

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 156
Points 3,140
Skyler Collins Posted: Sat, Jul 3 2010 11:57 AM

The Sutherland Institute, a paleo-conservative think tank in Utah as come up with the idea of giving illegal immigrants "working privilege cards" to allow them to work in Utah. Here:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700044589/Conservative-group-proposes-working-privilege-cards-Utah-legislator-blasts-idea.html?pg=1

I think it's a move in the right direction. What do you think? I'm looking for some good austro-libertarian feedback.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 7,590

There is no such thing as illegal immigrants.

The actions of breathing, traveling, and working are not privileges a human being needs permission for.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 358
Points 8,245

Well said.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,124
Points 37,405
Angurse replied on Sat, Jul 3 2010 12:25 PM

Does having the card mean they must be paid at least minimum wage?

"I am an aristocrat. I love liberty, I hate equality."
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 86
Points 1,225

Hate to disagree with you guys but if the state calls someone an illegal immigrant, then that's what that person is (under the law).  The state makes the laws after all.

Also, if travelling involves passing over someones property then travelling does indeed require permission.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 7,590

If the conversation is going to be in the context of Constitution and state I have a few questions:

What is the difference between a rule and a law?

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

Under the system of English Common Law as understood by the founding generations is Naturalization defined as emigration or allegiance?

Where are boundries defined in the federal constitution or are they only defined in state constitutions and legislative acts or treaties for federal territory?

Have any police powers been delegated to the federal government to police or enforce trespassing inside state boundries?

Does a state have authority in it's own right to harbor political refugees?

What is the jurisdiction of the federal government (ie. what objects can the federal constitution apply to with regards to travel or naturalization)?

Does a delegated power to establish a uniform Rule of Naturalization delegate any power to the federal government over citizen travel or does the power delegated to the federal government to establish a rule only apply to people who are un-Naturalized?

Is citizenship a federal, state, or some concurrent concept?

Are there any privileges or immunities offered or protected by government with regards to naturalization or travel?

What constitutes proof of citizenship?

Who or what party is the burden of proof on?

Under what circumstances can individuals be compelled by government with regards to travel?  With regards to naturalization?

To what extent can government impair labor contracts?

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

What is the difference between personal property and goods?

Can personal property be an object for any of the following delegated powers;  Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises?  If so how/why?

Can the travel of human beings be an object of the following delegated powers;  Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises?   If so how/why?

What is a constitutional definition of the term invasion as would be understood by the founding generation based on English Common Law?

Does the regular Army have authority to execute the Laws of the Union or is this duty expressly reserved to the Militia?

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 86
Points 1,225

You have a lot of good questions there Live Free.  I for one don't have any answers except to say that if we are going to wait for the state to solve the immigration problem, we will be waiting a long time.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,491
Points 43,390

Good attempt. Might reduce workplace raids and other bs, not wasting so much on policing.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 156
Points 3,140

Anyone? Step in the right direction or not?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,124
Points 37,405
Angurse replied on Sat, Jul 3 2010 3:35 PM

Anyone? Step in the right direction or not?

If it cuts down public spending, while keeping the price of foods and other good low, then yes.

"I am an aristocrat. I love liberty, I hate equality."
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,434
Points 29,210

Have any police powers been delegated to the federal government to police or enforce trespassing inside state boundries?

Article IV, Section 4: "The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence."

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 7,590

Article 1 Section 8

The Congress shall have Power; To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

Article 1 Section 10

No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.

Article 2 Section 2

The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States

Article 3 Section 3

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 212
Points 4,330
Aquila replied on Sat, Jul 3 2010 9:37 PM

Wonderful idea! Working is, after all, a right granted by by the state. We can't have people working without the approval/supervision of the state.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS