Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Libertarian Congressmen/Senators

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,434
Points 29,210
BrianAnderson Posted: Sat, Jul 3 2010 10:26 PM

Who are some libertarian congressmen and senators? I only know of Bob Barr and Ron Paul. They don't necessarily have to have any association with the Libertarian Party, but they 'could' be if they want to.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

Howard Buffett.

Robert Taft.

But why do you look for libertarian politicians in the United States? Why in the place with the least diversity of opinion?

Look up the Liberal Parties in Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, and see how many high level politicians in these nations still preserve classical liberalism.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,434
Points 29,210

Because right now I don't care what is happening in other countries. I do, but we need to focus on the United States. So I just want names to help get their careers into some other people's ears.

I meant people who are alive and in Congress currently.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 235
Points 5,230
shazam replied on Sun, Jul 4 2010 12:37 AM

Ron Paul is pretty much it as far as current officeholders. John Duncan, Walter Jones, and Jeff Flake (to a lesser extent) have libertarian leanings as well.

Anarcho-capitalism boogeyman

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 19,520
Eric080 replied on Tue, Jul 6 2010 12:49 PM

Sadly, I believe Ron Paul is our only hope.  Who, if he runs in 2012, I think will get more attention and more votes, but will not sidestep the neocon machine.  It seems like libertarianism is gaining a foothold, but that's probably because I've been hanging around LvMI too much smiley

I guess we forget how many Sean Hannity fans are out there, waiting to be converted into ancaps of course cool

"And it may be said with strict accuracy, that the taste a man may show for absolute government bears an exact ratio to the contempt he may profess for his countrymen." - de Tocqueville
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS