Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Mises on iTunes, and my quest to learn Austrian Econ, Where to begin?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
26 Posts
Points 1,075
Jonathan posted on Thu, Jul 8 2010 1:39 PM

I have be browsing Mises on iTunes. I want to learn Austrian Econ and I am trying to figure out where to start on iTunes. The mp3s on itunes, are they setup to teach Austrian economics, or more like a collection of various topics of Austrian? I want to start from econ 101, and work my way up, where do I begin?  There are 267 Lectures under the "Mises University" tab on iTunes. That isnt the entire Austrian economic lessons, is it?

Thank you!

All Replies

Not Ranked
Male
26 Posts
Points 1,075

Any that I can download and save, mp3s?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
694 Posts
Points 11,400
Joe replied on Thu, Jul 8 2010 2:34 PM

go to itunesU then click on 'beyond campus'  look under 'M' (should be top right corner) for Mises Institute.  There is way more stuff there.  I have already listened to 100 audio clips, and I still have 319 queued up.   The first category to click on would be 'courses on economics'  There are 3lecture series by Rothbard in there.  They are good stuff although not exactly what I would call 'Austrian Economics'  some of it is micro stuff that is pretty much universal, and then there is a lot of talk about history (which is also really important), and Rothbard goes off on a bunch of tangents when he talks about history (which I find fascinating).  Among those I would start with his 7-part "Introduction to Economics."   You will also find those Joe Salerno talks referenced above in this category under Introduction to Austrian Economic Analysis.  There is more by Salerno under the Fundamentals of Economic Analysis tag, and that stuff is also available in video form.

Also, go to this link  and after the 11th video there is a link to download a zip file of the mp3s of the previous 11 lectures.  Real good intro stuff.

Also, I would think about signing up for Bob Murphy's Mises Academy class in the fall

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Points 140

I started with Economics 101, which is an awesome audio series of Rothbard lectures. I bought the cd and ripped the audio files, but they're all available on itunes as well.

So, rather than wade through all 267 lectures under "mises university", get the following lectures:

1. Demand and Supply, Consumer Goods, Prices and Exchange

2. Money and Prices

3. Capital, Interest and Profit

4. Labor

5. Labor and Unions

6. Conservation and Property Rights

7. Banking and the Business Cycle

8. Mises in One Lesson

9. The Future of Austrian Economics

After I finished with those, I listened to the Salerno/Klein series called "A Causal/Realist Approach" I also picked out several lectures by Pete Boettke, which I really enjoyed.

By the way, my crystal ball tells me you'll get hooked and end up listening to all 267. The above will lay the foundation and help you get the most of the other lectures, though.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
194 Posts
Points 4,315
Mike replied on Fri, Jul 9 2010 8:13 PM

help please

why would you download from Itunes - instead of mises.org?? any advantags? more material? is itunes only for apple?

Be responsible, ease suffering; spay or neuter your pets.

We must get them to understand that government solutions are the problem!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Male
345 Posts
Points 7,035
Jesse replied on Fri, Jul 9 2010 8:22 PM

Tom Woods put this together recently. It looks really useful: http://www.thomasewoods.com/learn-austrian-economics/

I Samuel 8

Top 500 Contributor
Male
345 Posts
Points 7,035
Jesse replied on Fri, Jul 9 2010 8:29 PM

why would you download from Itunes

Because it's really, really convenient. Check it out (http://itunesu.mises.org/). You don't have be a mac user.

I Samuel 8

Not Ranked
7 Posts
Points 140

I download from itunes because I'm a creature of habit, short on time to learn new things, and itunes is old hat for me. I was already using itunes to load lewrockwell, peter schiff and antiwar radio episodes onto my ipod. So, when I discovered that mises.org was on itunes, too, it just made sense to keep doing it that way. There may be better ways, but like I said, I need to sync my ipod relatively effortlessly and get back on the road. I'm not a mac user, btw.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
194 Posts
Points 4,315
Mike replied on Fri, Jul 9 2010 9:47 PM

thanks for the answers. I am not tech savy. when I said do you need an apple - I meant Ipod - or can you use any mp3 player. it seems as it is for apple products only??

Be responsible, ease suffering; spay or neuter your pets.

We must get them to understand that government solutions are the problem!

Top 500 Contributor
Male
345 Posts
Points 7,035
Jesse replied on Fri, Jul 9 2010 9:52 PM

You can use anything that plays mp3 files. Ipods sync automatically with itunes, so they're more convenient.

I Samuel 8

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS