Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Abraham Lincoln Debate videos

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 20
Ksquared83 posted on Sun, Jul 11 2010 2:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDZzh0lnBRQ

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,434 Posts
Points 29,210

Nice link. I have a question for you, actually. When they talked about General Lee, is it true that Genereal Lee didn't kill civilians while General Sherman raped and murdered many? Also, General Lee didn't think slavery was ethical either, so why did he decide to fight for the South?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Male
226 Posts
Points 3,270

I remember reading a while back that when Lee made incursions into Pennsylvania, he would tell the citizens of the towns that he had no intent to infringe on their civil liberties, allowing them to speak freely and such. I'm not sure if Sherman himself raped and murdered, but I know one Northern general issued some order allowing his troops to rape Southern women. As for murder... arguably everyone killed during the war was murdered, certainly the civilians. The North set fire to the Shenandoah Valley and most of the crops they encountered. The whole thing was atrocious. I believe Lee did think slavery was unethical, but the war was only proximately or indirectly about slavery. Lincoln is on record as saying they he wouldn't intervene in the institution of slavery if it meant keeping the union together. I believe in his first Inaugural Address, he states that the only reason he would use the military is for the collection of tariffs. That said, I'm pretty sure Lee didn't join the Confederacy until Virginia seceded. Virgina and 3 (?) other states didn't secede until the North decided to invade the 7 (?) States that had already seceded. All this info is off the top of my head, but I'm fairly certain it's all accurate. I could be off on some of my numbers though.  Anyway, I hope that helps.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
66 Posts
Points 870
Willink replied on Sun, Jul 11 2010 10:04 PM

@Brian

http://mises.org/daily/671

This is a great read.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS