Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Worst arguments against anarcho-capitalism?

rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 80
Points 1,530
MisguidedThoughts Posted: Sun, Jul 25 2010 5:46 AM

I, like many others, have come across some very stupid arguments against anarcho-capitalism. For example "without the government, the environment would be destroyed!". My favorite is "But who would build the roads?". What's yours?

• | Post Points: 125
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 63
Points 1,035

I as a political science major would be out of a job lol (sorry couldn't resist)

I guess one of my favorites is "Who's going to help the poor?"

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup.You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. -Bruce Lee
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 35
Doegab replied on Sun, Jul 25 2010 7:55 AM

Anything Ayn Rand said.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 50
Points 925

As a rule, the best answer to "Who would run the schools, the hospitals, and build the roads" is "Teachers, doctors and construction workers".

Works for me when I get asked that question. Which happens a lot. Almost verbatim, too.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Sun, Jul 25 2010 8:43 AM

No final arbiter of disputes

Banned
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,491
Points 43,390
scineram replied on Sun, Jul 25 2010 8:46 AM

What is wrong with that?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Sun, Jul 25 2010 8:55 AM

The "final arbiter" is the state. In conflicts involving the state, it is judge in its own case. The whole point of a final arbiter is to have some sort of impartial "clamp" to disputes.

Morever, it is so easy to conceive of voluntary final arbiters... even wild-west justice was I pick someone I trust, you pick someone you trust, and then they pick a judge for us and that's it. This reveals that for there to be final arbitration depends mostly on people's perceived legitimacy of the judge, and that it is not a unique property of statism.

Banned
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,289
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Sun, Jul 25 2010 8:59 AM

Sieben:

No final arbiter of disputes

love this one. never heard before.

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

(english is not my native language, sorry for grammar.)

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 66
Points 1,140
Anarcho replied on Sun, Jul 25 2010 9:05 AM

I got this one once and found it kind of funny.

"Private security won't take the same kind of pride in their work that public officers do."  As if workers in the private sector have no pride in the jobs they do.

"It is easy to be conspicuously 'compassionate' if others are being forced to pay the cost." - Murray N. Rothbard.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 166
Points 2,355
Marked replied on Sun, Jul 25 2010 9:45 AM

Warlords/Evil profit-minded military organizations will SLAUGHTER US ALL!!!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 280
Points 5,590
Zavoi replied on Sun, Jul 25 2010 1:00 PM

In the interest of truth and objectivity, don't you want to look for the best arguments?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Anarcho:

I got this one once and found it kind of funny.

"Private security won't take the same kind of pride in their work that public officers do."  As if workers in the private sector have no pride in the jobs they do.

Whoever said that has never met a bouncer from a high-end gentlemen's club or night club.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 694
Points 11,400
Joe replied on Sun, Jul 25 2010 2:23 PM

I find it funny when people argue with hypotheticals pretty much thinking that all of a sudden under AnCap, anyone that is as rich as Bill Gates is also as evil as Hitler.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Sun, Jul 25 2010 2:32 PM

An anarcho-capitalist critic’s argument may seem bad to an anarcho-capitalist, but good to the critic who has never heard a good counterargument.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 5,580
Lewis S. replied on Sun, Jul 25 2010 2:53 PM

I once got into an argument with a statist that complained about roads, sidewalks, public parks, etc.  I gave him a funny look and commented that I was criticizing an institution that, during the last 100 years, was responsible for more destructive warfare and murder than all other centuries combined, while he was worried about losing good sidewalks.  He shut up after that.  Sometimes people need to be shown they have no perspective.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 424
Points 6,780
Azure replied on Sun, Jul 25 2010 5:54 PM

I once got into an argument with a statist that complained about roads, sidewalks, public parks, etc.  I gave him a funny look and commented that I was criticizing an institution that, during the last 100 years, was responsible for more destructive warfare and murder than all other centuries combined, while he was worried about losing good sidewalks.  He shut up after that.  Sometimes people need to be shown they have no perspective.

To paraphrase Bill Irving (Or was it BIl Kristol?), "It is only because conservatives have the courage to stand up and face the enemy that libertarians are able to worry about such petty concerns."

If we weren't murdering the rest of the world, they'd be murdering us! The only nation that can be happy and prosperous is the dominating conquerer.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 194
Points 4,315
Mike replied on Sun, Jul 25 2010 6:52 PM

I find it funny when people argue with hypothetical pretty much thinking that all of a sudden under AnCap, anyone that is as rich as Bill Gates is also as evil as Hitler.

the above made me remember that in a free society it is likely there would not be someone as rich as Gates- because the barriers of entry would be demolished and he would have had to build something a lot better than windows to earn billions

Be responsible, ease suffering; spay or neuter your pets.

We must get them to understand that government solutions are the problem!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 304
Points 4,860
Consultant replied on Fri, Jul 30 2010 10:22 AM

Yes, whenever Bill Gates get mentionned, it's time to point out IP law and how MSFT lawyers abuse it to bully small competitors.

The older I get, the less I know.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,037
Points 17,975
John Ess replied on Fri, Jul 30 2010 10:35 AM

No wars to spend money on to boost the economy.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 414
Points 6,780
MatthewF replied on Fri, Jul 30 2010 12:34 PM

You have to have a government because people are evil. Hear this all the time.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Jul 30 2010 12:44 PM

@MatthewF: Yes, I get a similar one from my relatives... "If government is as corrupt as you say it is, then that just reaffirms that there will always be government since people will always be corrupt."

Agh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 228
Points 4,820

Even though I'm not an AnCap, I often hear "well if you dont like government why dont you just move to Somalia"

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Pretty much any argument by Rettoper.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Mon, Aug 2 2010 6:19 PM

Pretty much any argument by Rettoper.

I second this.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 304
Points 4,860

"We are richer than ever before."

The older I get, the less I know.
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 228
Points 4,820

What's so bad about Rettoper's arguments?I read the debate thread and agreed with him on a lot of things.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Mon, Aug 2 2010 7:51 PM

What's so bad about Rettoper's arguments

You mean besides the part about them being incorrect?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 228
Points 4,820

Such as?

Page 1 of 1 (28 items) | RSS