Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Game Theory in Economics

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
29 Posts
Points 1,225
Atheist posted on Fri, Jul 30 2010 6:48 PM

I was wondering if game theory is used by free marketers?

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Male
202 Posts
Points 2,620
mwalsh replied on Fri, Jul 30 2010 6:51 PM

I know we used it in the AP econ, to illustrate mathematically, with "concret" numbers oligopilies and what would happen with collusion, and to illustrate why they would want to "cheat".  The only thing is that the teacher then said that if they kept doing this repeatedly and seeing the losses, they "should" stop cheating and would successfully collude...

"To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." - Unknown
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
304 Posts
Points 4,860
Suggested by Jon Irenicus

Game theory is increasingly getting better*. For example, they model learning effects (rather than assume equilibrium). They still assume neoclassical "rationality" though.

I think research on "market" outcomes with regards to voting are a good example of where game theory is at. The boundaries are still set (laws), but within that framework the models allow for a lot of decentralization/chaos.

* I am basing this post on the game theory I had in college and a friend of mine doing a phd on rational voting (ahum). Maybe there are areas I overlook though...

The older I get, the less I know.
Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,249 Posts
Points 29,610

Hell yes!

Of course, you'll need to study neoclassical economists instead...

"I'm not a fan of Murray Rothbard." -- David D. Friedman

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS