Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Strawman of Austrians

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,966
Points 53,250
DD5 Posted: Wed, Aug 4 2010 9:02 AM

"Most disappointing fact I've learned from this forum: Austrians hate that they are neglected by mainstream economics, but they have little to no understanding of mainstream economics. "

You've already exposed your sheer ignorance in Austrian theory, and particularly Capital theory in the other thread.  This ignorance has been actually summed up by you very nicely with your 3 (numbered 1, 2, 3)  questions in one of your recent posts in the other thread.  

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,249
Points 29,610

DD5:
You've already exposed your sheer ignorance in Austrian theory, and particularly Capital theory in the other thread.  This ignorance has been actually summed up by you very nicely with your 3 (numbered 1, 2, 3)  questions in one of your recent posts in the other thread.

Ignorance? Or disbelief? Those are two different things.

I would recommend you and your ABCT posse go and read Robert Lucas. He won a Nobel prize--that doesn't mean he's right, but it does mean he's someone you should explore.

"I'm not a fan of Murray Rothbard." -- David D. Friedman

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

I wouldn't disagree with you, except for the stubborn hostility to alternative economic viewpoints. It's either Austrian or it's wrong. No need to look into it.

By actively engaging you in debate, instead of dismissing you, a large number of posters here are looking into it.  And a number of them have expressed how much they appreciate the opportunity to have a stimulating debate with a knowledgeable person from another school of thought.  Why are you providing such a stark contrast to them by being so ungracious here?

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,249
Points 29,610

'Cause I'm a dick? wink

"I'm not a fan of Murray Rothbard." -- David D. Friedman

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Neoclassical:
'Cause I'm a dick? wink

And that's certainly not welcome here.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,966
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Wed, Aug 4 2010 12:55 PM

"Ignorance? Or disbelief? Those are two different things."

Yes they are different but in your case it's ignorance.  The implicit assumptions behind the questions make no sense if one is familiar with capital theory and ABCT in depth.  If there was full understanding of ABCT and only disbelief on your part, those questions would not have been asked in this way.

Now there's nothing wrong with being unfamiliar with the material, however, you are trying to pass along as some expert who is offering valid criticism of what you are an expert in.  That won't work here.  And frankly, it's annoying and dishonest.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

DD5:
And frankly, it's annoying and dishonest.

Then ignore it rather than feed it.

@everyone, this thread is about David Friedman, not the same bickering that is ongoing in other discussions. Please stay on topic and start new threads for personal debates.

Thread was split from David Friedman??Austrian discussion.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,899
Points 37,230

It is easy for the good posters to get lost in the intellectual equivalnet of "L2P noob sauce. fail more"

Many people on these forums are more than willing to explain there position civilly (though I have not seen much willingness to acknowledge ever being wrong).  But some of them are still sophomoric, with a senior's vocabulary.

In States a fresh law is looked upon as a remedy for evil. Instead of themselves altering what is bad, people begin by demanding a law to alter it. ... In short, a law everywhere and for everything!

~Peter Kropotkin

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I will admit to being wrong twice before.  However, I won't acknowledge what I was wrong about.  cheeky

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,899
Points 37,230

I thought I was wrong

But I was wrong

~ keller Williams

In States a fresh law is looked upon as a remedy for evil. Instead of themselves altering what is bad, people begin by demanding a law to alter it. ... In short, a law everywhere and for everything!

~Peter Kropotkin

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS