Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The Sunset of the State - A great video on the non-aggression principle

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 40
Points 1,145
FreedomainRadio Posted: Thu, Aug 5 2010 1:39 PM

HD video link...

I am the host of Freedomain Radio, the most popular philosophy show on the web, and a Top 10 Finalist in the 2007 Podcast Awards. http://www.freedomainradio.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 836
Points 15,370

Saw it already, good stuff + I like the analogy with epicycles.

"When the King is far the people are happy."  Chinese proverb

For Alexander Zinoviev and the free market there is a shared delight:

"Where there are problems there is life."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,966
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Thu, Aug 5 2010 2:04 PM

It is good.  The only problem is that I believe many who are unfamiliar with NAP will conflate your message with pacifism, which may lead most of them to miss out on the entire point.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 139
Points 2,270

Yes, great video with top notch production values. Perfect analogy. Although, similar to DD5's concern, I think the uninitiated may be kind of put off by the video. I suppose the purpose was to be kind of "shocking", but when telling people that no matter what they do, the State is going to shoot them if the misbehave, sounds sensational and overly-dramatic (even if it is ultimately true).

Keep up the good work, you've been pumping out a lot of content recently.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 785
Points 13,445

Very good video, very good analogy. Its only failing is that theres no point in construction a map of the revolutions of the solar system if there is no center. The same is true of objective morality. However the message is still just as viable when one considers it from utility, and the analogy of the state still works.

"Lo! I am weary of my wisdom, like the bee that hath gathered too much honey; I need hands outstretched to take it." -Thus Spake Zarathustra
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 304
Points 4,860

Orthogonal, I respectfully disagree: The first time I heard an ancap say "all tax is theft" and "only the maffia and the government uses violence when you don't do what they say" I was suprised and laughed it away but the doubt that is planned in your head stays there until it transforms in anti-statism. 

I agree more with DD5's remark that it would be nice to highlight that NAP does not mean "no violence" but "the right amount of violence". You could have easily done this by extending the school yard analogy.

The older I get, the less I know.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS