Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Blueprint for Financial Regulatory Reform

This post has 9 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 12
Points 280
Sailor Posted: Sun, Mar 30 2008 2:50 PM

In the midst of our economic slowdown, the U.S. Treasury Dept has issued what they are calling the "Blueprint for Financial Regulatory Reform". The highlights, as given by an article on Yahoo!'s website, are as follows:

--designate the Fed as the primary regulator for market stability, greatly expanding its ability to examine any financial institution deemed to pose a risk to the stability of the system.

--shift the functions of the Office of Thrift Supervision to the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, although ultimately the plan envisions just one banking regulator.

--merge the Securities and Exchange Commission with the Commodity Futures Trading Commission.

--create a national regulator for insurance companies, which now are largely regulated by the states.

--establish a commission to address the abuses exposed in the current tidal wave of mortgage defaults.

An executive summary of this document obstained by the NY Times can be found here. Soliciting comments.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 849
Points 17,125
Ego replied on Mon, Mar 31 2008 1:07 PM

I like the statists' strategy! Ruin an economy using statist policies, then call for even more statist policies to clean up mess. 

Don't allow leftists to play games with definitions! Some of the libertarian-leaning leftists at this forum will try to redefine "left-wing" back to its original defition (Third Estate, limited government, free-markets, laissez-faire reforms, etc.). Fine! We non-leftists can't stop them from using their own personal definitions; they can use whatever labels they want to describe any concept they want.

However, they have the audacity to then use their personal definition of "left-wing" (remember, the original definition, which is no longer valid) to prove that modern leftists are more libertarian than modern rightists! They will say that libertarianism is "inherently leftist" (again, using the original, no longer valid definition), and use that to insist that we should prefer and side with modern leftists over modern rightists.

Question their motives.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

We need to get more Ron Paul types out there telling the truth.

People - I want you to start writing letters to all of your legislators - your rep, your senators, and yes, your state legislators - and tell them to oppose more regulation and list the reasons why.

Contact with the local LP and the local Paulites and tell them to join in a letter-writing crusade against regulation.

I know it's low-key lobbying, but something must be done, and that can only be done grassroots, with a small "vanguard" (hate to borrow Leninist terms) leading it. 

Not Ranked
Posts 30
Points 720
dvictr replied on Mon, Mar 31 2008 2:55 PM
makes me sick... im about to throw up
I know the value of nothing, and the price of everything
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 783
Points 14,645

I was about to post about this before I noticed someone had already done so. I think this is the beginning of the end of the United States of America. They would not be trying something this radical unless there were serious issues that they believe they "cannot ignore." Of course their "solution" will only make matters worse but they understand there is a problem even if they do not understand how to handle the problem (i.e. by reducing regulations rather than creating more.)

I am an eklektarchist not an anarchist.

Educational Pamphlet Mises Group

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator
Well, the Invisible Hand will strike back when the time comes and it is necessary for the market to correct all the distortions caused by the Fed. Then the US economy will go up in flames, taking the parasites that leech off it with it. It'll be interesting to see what new forms of fascism will arise at this stage. No regulator is so powerful as to flout reality and escape unscathed. I just hope they suffer most for what they've done.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 946
Points 15,410
MacFall replied on Mon, Mar 31 2008 8:03 PM

thecapitalist:

I like the statists' strategy! Ruin an economy using statist policies, then call for even more statist policies to clean up mess. 

Freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength, and your money is doing just peachy as long as its value is controlled by a government-supported counterfeiter.

Pro Christo et Libertate integre!

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 248
Points 3,585
Deist replied on Mon, Mar 31 2008 8:21 PM

Normally I would scoff at the arrogance of the government and be ready to hold on for the bad times ahead but this actually scares me a little. Reason being I have a different prespective since I have three small nieces and one nephew these days. It just make me more and more angry at the ignorance of the politicians and their hubris to think they can just will economic facts away. Just imagine the awesome amounts of potential wealth and opportunity the state ruined before everyone on this forum was born. Now I cannot imagine they will devoid my nieces and nephew of new opportunities just to further their parasitic careers. It is unbelievable.

Everyday I go to the Secertary of State of Massachusetts and you will not believe the amount of poor minorities, immigrants as well as the average joe white guy these government officials ruin by regulating their businesses to the ground (of course mostly small business). On top of that they charge a very high annual extortion fee just to mantain your records so they can know how much and where they can tax every penny out of you, your employees or anything else. I am so sick of this ineffectual status quo. I have no idea where to begin to make a difference. Any ideas?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 175
Points 4,205
ChaseCola replied on Mon, Mar 31 2008 8:58 PM

Yes, vote for the statists and the government will eventually collapse or.........................?

"The plans differ; the planners are all alike"

-Bastiat

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 783
Points 14,645

Deist:
I am so sick of this ineffectual status quo. I have no idea where to begin to make a difference. Any ideas?

I am more and more of the opinion that the best way is to compete with the state. Create institions that can solve problems wihout needing to ask the state for anything. (Is agorism the term for what I mean?) We need to build these institutions NOW without waiting for the state to collapse. Doing so will create a network whereby anachocapitalists and other libertarians can ignore the state as much as humanly possible and the death of the state will not impact such people to the same degree as it will those who are less-aware of what is going on.

I am an eklektarchist not an anarchist.

Educational Pamphlet Mises Group

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS