Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Lincoln on black colonization

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Male
260 Posts
Points 6,815
Individualist posted on Tue, Aug 17 2010 1:41 PM

What was Abraham Lincoln's full plan for black colonization? Did he plan it to be voluntary or not? Why does Thomas DiLorenzo call it "deportation"?

DiLorenzo says Lincoln used the word "deportation" himself, but also seems to recognize that this could mean voluntarily.

"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."  - H. L. Mencken

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,055 Posts
Points 41,895

Lincoln tried to convince the African community leaders to convince all Africans to go back to Africa.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
194 Posts
Points 3,900
Gipper replied on Tue, Aug 17 2010 6:30 PM

I'm also 100% certain that Lincoln stated that Black should be free, but not in the United States and they should be able to colonize in Haiti and Africa, or something of that nature.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
49 Posts
Points 675

Second Annual Message of the President of the United States,
December 1, 1862:
"Applications have been made to me by many free Americans of African descent to favor their emigration, with a view to such colonization as was contemplated in recent acts of Congress. Other parties, at home and abroad --some from interested motives, others upon patriotic considerations, and still others influenced by philanthropic sentiments-- have suggested similar measures, while, on the other hand, several of the Spanish American Republics have protested against the sending of such colonies to their respective territories. Under these circumstances I have declined to move any such colony to any state without first obtaining the consent of its government, with an agreement on its part to receive and protect such emigrants in all the rights of freemen; and I have at the same time offered to the several States situated within the Tropics, or having colonies there, to negotiate with them, subject to the advice and consent of the Senate, to favor the voluntary emigration of persons of that class to their respective territories, upon conditions which shall be equal, just, and humane. Liberia and Hayti are as yet the only countries to which colonists of African descent from here could go with certainty of being received and adopted as citizens; and I regret to say such persons contemplating colonization do not seem so willing to migrate to those countries as to some others, nor so willing as I think their interest demands. I believe, however, opinion among them in this respect is improving, and that ere long there will be an augmented and considerable migration to both these countries from the United States."

"I can not make it better known than it already is that I strongly favor colonization"

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS