Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Suggestions for Dealing with Trolls?

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 871
Points 15,025
chloe732 Posted: Thu, Aug 19 2010 10:10 PM

Is ignoring the troll the only thing one can do?  Any other suggestions?

"The market is a process." - Ludwig von Mises, as related by Israel Kirzner.   "Capital formation is a beautiful thing" - Chloe732.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 443
Points 9,245

Suggestions for Dealing with Trolls?

Don't.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

chloe732:
Is ignoring the troll the only thing one can do?  Any other suggestions?

Yes.  Ignoring is good.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 0
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Thu, Aug 19 2010 10:16 PM

the better question is how to identify a troll (that is how to distinguish trolls from people that just disagree with you)

Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine - Elvis Presley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Thu, Aug 19 2010 10:21 PM

chloe732:

Any other suggestions [for dealing with trolls]?

Just pretend that whoever you think is a troll actually isn't a troll.

If I wrote it more than a few weeks ago, I probably hate it by now.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,899
Points 37,230

Dont pretend. IF it is apparent to you that it is a troll, it's not. Real trolls are not just angry dissidents.  They are just there to spread the seed of doubt.

In States a fresh law is looked upon as a remedy for evil. Instead of themselves altering what is bad, people begin by demanding a law to alter it. ... In short, a law everywhere and for everything!

~Peter Kropotkin

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 383
Points 8,775
Sukrit replied on Thu, Aug 19 2010 10:40 PM

How would one deal with pro-war arrogant Australian trolls?

http://blog.libertarian.org.au/2010/08/18/only-26-libertarians-in-australia/

The Australian "libertarian" troll is a very specific type of warmongering troll.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Keep agitating Sukrit, you're doing good work, and those losers can't do more than troll you.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Fri, Aug 20 2010 2:24 AM

I am moderator on another (science) forum. Lately I have become too soft-hearted with trolls and my webmaster scolded me... frown and rightly so.

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 383
Points 8,775
Sukrit replied on Fri, Aug 20 2010 2:30 AM

Thanks for the back-up liberty student. I used to spend a lot of time debating with them in the past, trying to persuade them, but I've just given up and am focusing on reaching new people and writing articles/papers etc. making my case.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 4,220
boniek replied on Fri, Aug 20 2010 5:54 AM

How can one even be serious about calling himself libertarian and being pro-war? Isn't this in fundamental contradiction with NAP?

"Your freedom ends where my feelings begin" -- ???
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

boniek:

How can one even be serious about calling himself libertarian and being pro-war? Isn't this in fundamental contradiction with NAP?

It's just like William Buckley calling himself a libertarian. It's a falsehood. They are the remnant of the Fusionist movement..

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Fri, Aug 20 2010 8:09 AM

"the better question is how to identify a troll (that is how to distinguish trolls from people that just disagree with you)"

Intellectual honesty.

How can that be ascertained? A variety of ways. At RPF I would ask those who were arguing against anarcho-capitalist / voluntarism (those with the hell bent attitude), "what books have you read on the subject?". Naturally, an honest "I have not read any books on the subject", doesn't mean their arguments are non existent or suddenly invalid. But their inability to answer that question & in fact, completely avoid it, over and over and over again... was amusing, but also instructive for others (lurkers).

I'd use them as a sounding board, so the viewers can see the opposition get dismantled. If though you can reason with people, if they are intellectually honest and open to persuasion by all means the "soft" approach should be taken. Non adversarial. Socratic method.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,249
Points 29,610

boniek, not every libertarian endorses the NAP as a deontic artifact snatched from the magical realm of moral realism.

I much more strongly agree with Hayek's conception of morality as a product of gene-culture coevolution, a creation that embodies a rationality beyond the reach of human reason.

"I'm not a fan of Murray Rothbard." -- David D. Friedman

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 383
Points 8,775
Sukrit replied on Fri, Aug 20 2010 9:07 AM

Milton Friedman didn't endorse the strict non-aggression principle but he also classified himself as an "anti-interventionist" on foreign policy (though not as much as Rothbard). Johan Norberg wrote a paper about it.

The pro-war so-called "libertarians" have no case whatsoever.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Fri, Aug 20 2010 9:11 AM

Neoclassical:

I much more strongly agree with Hayek's conception of morality as a product of gene-culture coevolution, a creation that embodies a rationality beyond the reach of human reason.

Can you elaborate?

If I wrote it more than a few weeks ago, I probably hate it by now.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 4,220
boniek replied on Fri, Aug 20 2010 10:33 AM

What about NAP as voluntary contractual obligation? Without that obligation one is not libertarian. I was under impression that NAP (as moral or contractual rule) defines this movement and without it this movement doesn't exist. Correct me if I'm wrong.

"I much more strongly agree with Hayek's conception of morality as a product of gene-culture coevolution, a creation that embodies a rationality beyond the reach of human reason."

I don't understand what you mean here.

"Your freedom ends where my feelings begin" -- ???
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,113
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Fri, Aug 20 2010 10:52 AM

the better question is how to identify a troll (that is how to distinguish trolls from people that just disagree with you)

When someone continuously repeats the same position without providing actual theoretical support while simultaneously ignoring the rebuttals of others. When their entire argument basically becomes "you're just too ideological."

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 871
Points 15,025
chloe732 replied on Wed, Oct 20 2010 10:46 PM

This is how to deal with trolls:   Freedom is Slavery

"The market is a process." - Ludwig von Mises, as related by Israel Kirzner.   "Capital formation is a beautiful thing" - Chloe732.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS