Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Blaming the free market for the egg recalls and fake medical equipment?

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 795
1147196 Posted: Mon, Aug 23 2010 9:56 PM

So, I've been reading a lot from the progressives and statists who fault the free market for allowing contaminated eggs to be sold and for fake medical equipment being sold and harming people:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/21/health/policy/21tubes.html?_r=2

hxxp://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9003562

How would a libertarian respond to the above accusations?

In addition, I'm certain that the statists would claim that without governmental inspection plenty of people would fall ill or die before people realize the faultiness of the products if the free market were allowed to work. How would a libertarian respond to that argument?

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 64
Points 670
Runyan replied on Mon, Aug 23 2010 10:02 PM

Was it the free market or mass government subsidies that led to 'factory farms' and the various food cartels?  Why now, after years of government involvement in food production, does this issue present itself in such a  large of fashion?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 550
Points 8,575

I thought the government was in charge of protecting us from contaminated food.

"People kill each other for prophetic certainties, hardly for falsifiable hypotheses." - Peter Berger
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 8,085
Wibee replied on Tue, Aug 24 2010 5:36 AM

FDA commissioner said they going to focus on more prevention instead of reactionary.  Sad day indeed for freedom

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 753
Points 18,750

"FDA commissioner said they going to focus on more prevention instead of reactionary.  Sad day indeed for freedom"

I read that somewhere, something to the nature of, the FDA needs to be more proactive instead of reactive. lol.

In a country that consumes some 220 million eggs per day we are worried about the 500 million  (less than 1 % of the market of egg consumption) eggs that "may have exposure".  Even a high end infection rate would be %10 of the 500 million eggs (50 million eggs) of which we must subtract those which are cooked at tempertaure of 150 degreees coupled with those who are not ate at all.

So in reality i would venture to say there are 10 eggs that is going to kill 10 of the 310 million Americans

Read until you have something to write...Write until you have nothing to write...when you have nothing to write, read...read until you have something to write...Jeremiah 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 875
Points 14,180
xahrx replied on Tue, Aug 24 2010 7:17 AM

"How would a libertarian respond to the above accusations?" - 1147196

All this happened while the government was charged with preventing it from happening.

"In addition, I'm certain that the statists would claim that without governmental inspection plenty of people would fall ill or die before people realize the faultiness of the products if the free market were allowed to work. How would a libertarian respond to that argument?"

Once more, that's exactly what's happening while the almighty government is already charged with and given the power to 'protect' us.

And what's the fuss about anyway?  Sure, salmonella can be bad if it gets into your blood, or if you're very young or old.  But perspective is something to keep in mind, and in reality all this bellyaching is about a couple thousand people, out of a population of hundreds of millions, with a temporary case of the squirts.

In a free market, people will still get the shits.  The only difference would be that instead of a massive and costly bureacracy protection would be handled by a decentralized group of private citizens using various methods from certification to investigation.

"I was just in the bathroom getting ready to leave the house, if you must know, and a sudden wave of admiration for the cotton swab came over me." - Anonymous
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,600

I'm not going to respond as a libertarian--I'm going to respond as someone that works in the medical device industry (I'm an engineer).

There are unscrupulous people in every industry that are motivated by profit--but you can't outlaw evil people, it's just not possible. The ironic part is that these profits--the margin on some products I've worked on are above 90%--is both caused and enabled by the FDA (affected by the insurance industry but thats a seperate topic).  Were the regulations less strict or non-existant many products would be truly commoditized as they simply are not that unique or complicated to manufacture, and prices would fall dramatically. Additionally, overhead for manufacturers would fall in kind and permit these lower margins while still remaining profitable.

I will say that in the absence of the FDA my company wouldn't start selling products negligently as profit seeking behaviour--the one thing I have been impressed with is that the management here is ethical: the patient comes first. The testing the FDA requires on many devices engenders an attitude of doing the least possible verification activities to get devices approved so "obvious" risks may be overlooked (willingly or not). Though, don't assume that if testing weren't required that it wouldn't be done--often we perform testing as risk mitigation entirely independent of FDA regulations.

So that's my opinion from within a market regulated by the FDA, take it with a grain of salt (or truth if you prefer).

" ‘Bread and Circuses’ is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for which there is no cure. “
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 206
Points 3,855

It's hard to say that it was regulations that failed, since most regulations never worked in the first place.  The first thought of a politician is not whether his plan will actually work, but to stay to the voters that he is doing something

When labor is under the illusion that it actually needs management, the number of managers explodes.  Kind of a paradox, actually:  the more people bureaucrats convince that their regulations are necessary, the more statist zombies are recruited to secure centralized power.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 300
Points 5,325
NewLiberty replied on Wed, Aug 25 2010 10:23 PM

How could the free market ever be at fault when there isn't a free market? That doesn't even make sense.

It's like blaming on the financial crisis on free markets.  Uh, we don't have free markets.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

Communists essentially define "free market" as anything that goes wrong.  That automatically puts you on the defensive if you warrant any blame with a direct response.  You have to alter the terms of the argument around so that you are attacking the state instead of defending the free market, and neutralizing the nirvana fallacy that nothing should ever go wrong.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 8,085
Wibee replied on Sat, Aug 28 2010 9:06 AM

Typical fallacy, just because one is against government inspection does not mean one is against inspections.  I personally would not buy most foods unless it has been tested or the company or person has a favorable reputation.  

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 5,275
djussila replied on Sat, Aug 28 2010 9:57 AM

Thats because in their view government is never wrong. 

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 260
RJ Miller replied on Sat, Aug 28 2010 10:52 PM

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/egg-recall-millions-wright-county-eggs-involved-marler/story?id=11430502

They were voluntarily recalled by business - so that speaks a lot for who is more likely to protect you. Why would a company want to create or let alone allow a product of theirs to kill their own customers?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Mon, Aug 30 2010 12:59 PM

I think a lot of the extreme knee-jerk reactions to these situations is due to the following.  Because people believe in the illusion of certainty (brought to you by the government), they also have zero tolerance for anything that goes against that illusion.  Since the government itself tends to be filled with such people, you have an inevitable ramp-up of legal authority in the attempt to control things to an ever-finer degree.

It's no wonder that strongly religious people see secularists as arrogating to Man the powers of God.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS