Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

19th century panics

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
29 Posts
Points 1,060
WallStreetAce posted on Wed, Sep 8 2010 12:35 AM

Hi all,

I'm doing research for my senior thesis and need information on the panics/depressions of the 19th century. So my question is, where would I get reliable information on those panics (preferably in books)? I know Rothbard's history of money and banking is a good source, but I am going to need more than one if my thesis is going to be credible.

Thanks

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Not Ranked
Male
98 Posts
Points 1,680
Curtis replied on Wed, Sep 8 2010 12:43 AM

Although I don't fully agree with his monetarist analysis, Milton Friedman's "A Monetary History of the United States" would probably make a good reference for some aspects of your research. 
I'd also try doing a lot of keyword searches on this site as I know there is a fairly extensive literature on the subject.

Visit Us For Your Daily Market Madness Recaps! Market Madness -- http://financeandopportunity.blogspot.com/
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
177 Posts
Points 2,285
DougM replied on Thu, Sep 9 2010 9:57 AM

The Secret Life of Real Estate has several chapters on 19th century panics, along with several suggested sources for further reading. I don't agree with the author's conclusions but the facts appear to be accurate.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
268 Posts
Points 5,220

I dont know if he's written anything on it, but Thomas Woods has a video where hes talking about 19th century panics.  Its on Youtube, but I forget the name of it sadly...

OBJECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you preface everything you say with the phrase 'studies have shown...' people will believe anything you say no matter how ridiculous. Studies have shown this works 87.64% of the time.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,249 Posts
Points 29,610

Monetary Policy in the United States: An Intellectual and Institutional History by Richard H. Timberlake.

"I'm not a fan of Murray Rothbard." -- David D. Friedman

Top 200 Contributor
Male
433 Posts
Points 6,720

Some resources can be found here, in general Rothbard is probably your best guide.

Also, check a summary on the panic of 1819.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
122 Posts
Points 1,895
MB replied on Tue, Sep 14 2010 9:16 AM

What about de Soto's Money, Bank Credit and Economic Cycles?

or Doug French's Early Speculative Bubbles?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
433 Posts
Points 6,720

de Soto is a good hit, the Early Speculative Bubbles are a bit too early for the question.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS