Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

I need a flag

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 125
larsothan Posted: Wed, Sep 8 2010 12:17 PM

An ancap flag, preferably 3' x 5' with all the necessary things for attacting it to a flagpole.  Anyone know where I may purchase one?

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 157
Points 3,880
C replied on Wed, Sep 8 2010 4:02 PM

If you google it, you can find the one that I use for my image.  The artist just goes by the name spires.  I'm sure you could take the image and pay some flag maker to make it for you (which if you did, make two because I would definitely buy one from you).   Other than that I don't know of any ready made flags for sale.  

Anyway, here's what he writes about the symbolism in the flag.  Pretty Sweet!

Anarcho-Capitalist Flag

Here is a rundown of elements:

The split black/color theme is a long time symbol of anarchy, with the color representing the root, or obversely, the intent of anarchy. The line travels upwards and rightwards, meaning economic growth, and a preference for western norms.

The textile/damask pattern ican be seen as symbol of bourgeois prosperity. It was possible after the industrial revolution, for the masses to afford opulent beauty that kings were only able to afford beforehand. It also represents decentralization and the division of labor.

Color gold is a symbol of the gold standard, under which no central authority can rule by means of fiat currency, leading to general peace and prosperity.

Color black represents complete independence, and danger for trespass.

Sea Green is an old color of classical liberalism.

Amaranth is a symbol of the everlasting; in this case, the desire for liberty in the human spirit never dies.

The snake is a symbol of individuality. The phrase "Don't tread on me" comes to mind. The implicit message is that an infringement of my rights will lead to just retribution.

The sun has been seen as a symbol of wisdom and intelligence, and a sunflower growing from gold bars, seems a nice way of expressing how society flourishes from reason, and sound money.

White normally means surrender, but against black, white becomes a symbol for 'only in death do we surrender', 'or live free or die' -- sort of like the pirate's flag.

"Sic semper tyrannis" means "Thus always for tyrants" and is what rebels have historically yelled while killing despots.

The deliberate asymmetry is appropriate because symmetry is a symbol of power generally, and in an anarcho-capitalist society, all power is decentralized.

There is nothing to signify unity or economic class struggle in this flag, or the glory of war or anything signifying state power. The class struggle here is between the thief and the avenged victim; the crook and the honest producer, the politician and the property owner.

Also, one should never have currency signs like "$" to represent capitalism, because the gold standard is universal and transcends national identities and currencies, which are not legitimate, natural market entities.

At least he wasn't a Keynesian!

• | Post Points: 60
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

You can always do what I did, get a Gadsden flag. It has the same colors and theme. Problem is everyone from the armed forces to neo cons to left anarchists use it.

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
Seth King replied on Wed, Jan 26 2011 8:31 PM

You're all in luck because as of today I am selling high-quality, home-made, 100% hemp linen anarcho-capitalist flags. You're going to love them!

http://dailyanarchist.com/2011/01/26/anarcho-capitalist-flags-for-sale/

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 16,185

I had my grandmother make me one for my birthday...

My Blog: http://www.anarchico.net/

Production is 'anarchistic' - Ludwig von Mises

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Wed, Jan 26 2011 9:30 PM

Chris Pacia:

Anyway, here's what he writes about the symbolism in the flag.  Pretty Sweet!

Anarcho-Capitalist Flag

I would appreciate more artwork of this level of intricacy. I always felt modern Ancap flags were either too blan, or to weird. I'm not sure I buy the whole "western" style idea though.

Nice flag.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Wed, Jan 26 2011 9:45 PM

There's no such thing as an ancap flag. Flags are for societies. Do you see democracy flags getting waived?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

If gays can have a flag, we can have a flag.

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Wed, Jan 26 2011 10:43 PM

Don't you find that it's... kinda gay?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350
Aristippus replied on Thu, Jan 27 2011 12:38 AM

Wouldn't an ancap society be a society?

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 370
Points 8,785
Telpeurion replied on Thu, Jan 27 2011 12:53 AM

The most common use for a flag, aside from toilet paper: To visually identify and distinguish between properties and persons.

This is apparently a Man Talk Forum:  No Women Allowed!

Telpeurion's Disliked Person of the Week: David Kramer

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 2,295
mahall replied on Thu, Jan 27 2011 1:06 AM

The most common use for a flag, aside from toilet paper: To visually identify and distinguish between properties and persons.

Would a PDA require a flag?

Seems like innocent novelty in a stateless society to me.

You can't hurry up good times by waiting for them.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 370
Points 8,785

Flags, and other simple markers are the easiest way to, as I said, identify an object or person. Many companies have flags that they fly alongside their nation of origin. This designates to passerby the following:

Who or what the property belongs to

In the case of state flags, what laws the person, or property are following and who purportedly protects them.

What connotated ideas the owner wants to convey (hammer and sickle for example)

...And I am sure many other things. Flags and brands aren't going anywhere soon.

Flags are not just waving cloth, a very identifiable flag is the McDonalds arches.

This is apparently a Man Talk Forum:  No Women Allowed!

Telpeurion's Disliked Person of the Week: David Kramer

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 2,295
mahall replied on Thu, Jan 27 2011 1:49 AM

If we are speaking of Maritime Flags and antiquated standards then sure. But not all property requires a literal flag to distinguish itself. Is a fence a flag?

I would say that the anarcho-capitalist flag in question doesn't compare well to state flags or brands. Since state flags are ceremonial and brands are to communicate/market while an anarcho-capitalist flag is novelty. 

You can't hurry up good times by waiting for them.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Thu, Jan 27 2011 7:00 AM

Wouldn't an ancap society be a society?

It really is the other way around, a society is ancap based on how it establishes relations to other societies.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS