Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Question about Masters Degree

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990
Libertyandlife Posted: Wed, Sep 8 2010 5:13 PM

I have a quick question. I'm currently pursuing study in business and poli sci for my bachelors. I'm also determined to get a MBA in a few years. Considering the MBA is for business, could I still go for a doctorate in economics, philosophy or poli sci after getting my masters? My idea is either take the MBA and see where that gets me in business or get the MBA and then go for a doctorate, then go into education (college level). This all leaves my future open.

Thanks.

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 157
Points 3,880
C replied on Wed, Sep 8 2010 8:20 PM

That is kind of the path I'm hoping to take.  I have 7 credits left in a MBA after this semester. I would definitely like to do a PhD in economics later in life, hopefully after making some money first. But God only knows how that will work out in this economy. 

At least he wasn't a Keynesian!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Thu, Sep 9 2010 12:16 PM

Sure your plan is fine, the business school where I purchased my MBA from grants PHDs degrees in both business and economics.

My advice is that you CAREFULLY investigate the value of an MBA.  I have one and consider it worthless.  If you want a PHD in economics then get one.  I have doubts about all the job offers MBAs receive versus everyone else.  Also the starting salary numbers are completely misleading.  They include for example people who get the degrees and continue their current jobs.  They also include people who work in family businesses and what not.  And now they do not include people who can't get jobs.  The MBA program I got my degree from listed 105K as the starting salary, I was like huh? 105K with out any performance in this economy?  Not a chance.  The numbers are fudged. 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

First get work experience, then get an MBA later. Unless your Masters is in a science or something like Finance, it is a waste of time. And if you want one in Economics, don't waste time and do it in Maths or Statistics instead.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

Well I'm planning on working in real estate for about 2-3 years after college, then going for the mba. Plus my grades are pretty good, so I'm hoping to snag a really good business school. Is that a bad idea? I mean, work experience (I'll be a real estate broker by the time I enter school again) + an mba, that's probably going to do me good.

I mean my original plan was to get a masters in anything then a doctorate, then go into education. I'm keeping that idea open, but I figured if I get a decent job after the mba, I'll stick with that.

My whole point is, if I get an mba, would I still be able to get a doctorate and teach if I wanted to?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

It's more or less what I am planning to do at this stage.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

So it's possible to teach with an mba and a doctorate?

And with work experience, would an mba be worth it by itself? By the way, I have no clue what I'm going to get my mba in.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Thu, Sep 9 2010 9:07 PM

I wish you the best of luck in real estate.  It is a tough market these days, my girlfriend is a real estate agent.  But there is still a good career you can make for yourself in real estate.  Back to the PHD.  If you want a PHD you will have to commit to it.  It is not something people get as an afterthought.  It takes high degrees of determination and intensity, far more so than getting a MBA and certainly less than starting your own real estate business.

The best education you can give yourself is to run your own business.  Then you are in charge of your own destiny and dependent on your own performance.  The book education you get will not compare to that.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

My dad owns a real estate company, so I reckon I should be fine. If he ever passes, I'll have to take over.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

An MBA would be, yes. A doctorate? That's something to do if you really want to teach. MBAs are for professionals who want more qualifications to add to their CV really. They let you make very good connections, especially at universities like Harvard, and you will study a lot of business case studies etc., but that isn't their primary purpose; the networking is. TBH, I would not bother with a doctorate unless you're hellbent on becoming an academic. There's nothing to stop you from doing a PHD, of course, but like Bogart said, it's not a trivial undertaking.

I would consider something like this too.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

I figure if I do well  as an agent or broker for a while, add an mba, I can take on other better jobs. My career goal is to make at least a 100 grand a year at some point.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS