Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Dollars New Design

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 753
Points 18,750
Jeremiah Dyke Posted: Sat, Sep 18 2010 4:41 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/721294

Read until you have something to write...Write until you have nothing to write...when you have nothing to write, read...read until you have something to write...Jeremiah 

• | Post Points: 155
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 37
Points 820
Bardock replied on Sat, Sep 18 2010 4:56 PM

Take Obama and FDR off the bills and I'll be content. 

Other than that I do like the design. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lteLWtfdbeM&feature=related
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Sat, Sep 18 2010 5:57 PM

i like the idea of not including politicians on most of our bills. plus the colors look kinda cool. 

Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine - Elvis Presley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Sat, Sep 18 2010 6:01 PM

If you want to laugh....

Banned
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 239
Points 4,590
Andrew replied on Sat, Sep 18 2010 6:21 PM

How much more "old and boring" bills do we need to print in order to pay for the making of "new and beautiful" ones?

Democracy is nothing more than replacing bullets with ballots

If Pro is the opposite of Con. What is the opposite of Progress?

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 871
Points 15,025
chloe732 replied on Sat, Sep 18 2010 7:06 PM

Student:
i like the idea of not including politicians on most of our bills.

Why?  Politicians are key to the fiat monetary system.  Why shouldn't they be 'honored' this way? 

I think it is entirely appropriate for Wilson (not shown), FDR, Obama and all the rest of them to appear on the FRN's. Men such as these created and 'saved' the system, we should see their faces on the notes in order to remember who is responsible.

"The market is a process." - Ludwig von Mises, as related by Israel Kirzner.   "Capital formation is a beautiful thing" - Chloe732.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 430
Points 8,145

Indeed, Hamilton's face on the ten dollar bill is quite humorous.

“Remove justice,” St. Augustine asks, “and what are kingdoms but gangs of criminals on a large scale? What are criminal gangs but petty kingdoms?”
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 177
Points 2,860
Naevius replied on Sat, Sep 18 2010 8:06 PM

If they made this change it seems I'd be able to keep pictures of ALL of my most hated nemises in my pocket, to be reminded of them every day... 

Goody.

@Sieben: I'm sorry, is that link an intentional joke? Because I'm having a really hard time taking it seriously if that's what the ACTUAL dollar redesigners are saying as justification.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,687
Points 48,995
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,434
Points 29,210

Why shouldn't they be 'honored' this way?

Hahaha. I was going to make a joke about them being on there because of their free market stances (sarcastic) until I saw that post. I would love to see their faces go down with the dollar bill due to inflation/etc. But not necessary the dollar bill because I would lose all of my money. The symbolism would be exquisite, though.

I guess they think that the dollar will be worth more because it's more colorful.

If they made this change it seems I'd be able to keep pictures of ALL of my most hated nemises in my pocket, to be reminded of them every day...

Wait... am I the only one who carries around pictures of statists in my wallet all day?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 516
Points 7,190
bbnet replied on Sat, Sep 18 2010 10:04 PM

Here's the real future design - soon available in handy 12 roll packs - while a little larger than the old design, the new bills offer increased security, convenience, and a squeezably soft new paper!

new dollar design

We are the soldiers for righteousness
And we are not sent here by the politicians you drink with - L. Dube, rip

• | Post Points: 45
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 391
Points 6,975

On an aesthetic level I like the blue-green design. The others seem too cluttered or more befitting a webpage than currency. It might just be me, but I am of the opinion that the colors used in a certificate should be uniform through out the denominations.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 871
Points 15,025
chloe732 replied on Sat, Sep 18 2010 10:57 PM

@ bbnet:

At least the dollar would once again be a commodity money.  I do like this design the best, except Ben Franklin does not deserve the honor.  The portrait should be that of Ben Bernanke.

new dollar design

"The market is a process." - Ludwig von Mises, as related by Israel Kirzner.   "Capital formation is a beautiful thing" - Chloe732.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 4,220
boniek replied on Sun, Sep 19 2010 4:24 AM

"Your freedom ends where my feelings begin" -- ???
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 424
Points 6,780
Azure replied on Sun, Sep 19 2010 6:26 AM

On an aesthetic level I like the blue-green design. The others seem too cluttered or more befitting a webpage than currency. It might just be me, but I am of the opinion that the colors used in a certificate should be uniform through out the denominations.

From a usability perspective there's a pretty good argument for the "rainbow" currency: The more different they are, the easier it is to tell them apart. You can tell the difference between blue and red far more quickly and more surely than you can tell the difference between Washington and Lincoln's faces.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 154
Points 3,150
GooPC replied on Sun, Sep 19 2010 7:54 AM

They should be focusing on designing higher denominations. No one is going to use these small bills in a few years during hyperinflation. What will the $10 billion note look like?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 424
Points 6,780
Azure replied on Sun, Sep 19 2010 8:36 AM

They should be focusing on designing higher denominations. No one is going to use these small bills in a few years during hyperinflation. What will the $10 billion note look like?

Just make the printing press's computer scan google images for internet memes and continually make bigger denominations with whatever it finds.

I look forward to the 10^10^10 bill with Hitler on it.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 177
Points 2,860
Naevius replied on Sun, Sep 19 2010 3:19 PM

Wait... am I the only one who carries around pictures of statists in my wallet all day?

Statists? What? I'm talking about that thrice-damned eagle on the fifty. That jerk haunts me everywhere I go, plotting new ways to make my life a bit more miserable. I have a sneaking suspicion he's in league with my other nemisis, Jetpack Hitler. 

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,090

boniek:

This.  

I do like the vertical concept of the bills though.  Something I would've done.  

The FDR and Obama designs will not last though; at some point someone will change those.  They should really just keep all the bills politically figure-less for simplicity sake, or allow one of the bills to rotate a certain president's campaign logo to whomever is in office (allowing temporal acknowledgement to designations of offfice).  

I'm speaking from a design perspective, of course, not a politically favourable one :)

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, Sep 19 2010 5:34 PM

When you look at the genius of some of these graphic designs compared to the drab, pseudo-utilitarian ugliness of the Dept. of Treasury's designs, you realize that this Dollar Redesign project only serves to make our point. What is needed is currency competition. Unfortunately, I doubt anyone at the Dollar Redesign project could actually fit that thought inside their otherwise very creative heads.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 7
Points 170
south replied on Sun, Sep 19 2010 7:42 PM

One point about radically redesigning the currency -- the unfamiliarity reduces the public's reverence, helping them understand that the pieces of paper in their wallets have no value beyond that bestowed on them by the govt.

The effect is also subconscious, which is why redesigns to the US dollar are always subtle. If dollars were suddenly printed in psychedelic colors, the value would drop. There'd be big problems with counterfeiting too, but that's another story.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 170
Growth replied on Sun, Sep 19 2010 9:12 PM

Perhaps we should produce a currency that reacts with air and spontaneously ignites.

That would solve the inflation problem.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 5,275
djussila replied on Sun, Sep 19 2010 10:15 PM

Crazy thought, how about an "invisible paper" currency? The government could tax us all they want, spend all they want, and everybody else could trade in popular mediums of exchanges like gold.  

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 7
Points 170
south replied on Mon, Sep 20 2010 1:13 AM

Zimbabwe did print theirs with expiry dates for a while.

Page 1 of 1 (24 items) | RSS