Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Question on copyright on the 'free' books

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 15,105
Anonymous Coward Posted: Sun, Apr 6 2008 9:30 PM

I've been playing around with Google Docs (again, sorry) and online OCR and was wondering what it would take to 'republish' a book under Google Sites on the mises.com account?

So, here's my plan. Run the book or article pdf through the OCR(which is amazingly good BTW), split it into chapters and clean it up a bit (which really only involves changing a "<<PAGE-DIVIDER>>" to a "[p. 1]", adding paragraph breaks and an occasional mis-interpreted word).

Since Google Sites is basically a wiki this could be a collaborative effort but I believe that you need to be a mises.com member to be able to edit.

I've tested it with The Case Against the Fed and one article from the first issue of The Quarterly Journal of Austrian Economics but figured I'd ask before attempting to set up an experimental Google Site so mises.org doesn't have to send a DMCA takedown notice to mises.com if there were copyright issues.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 597
Points 12,920
Staff
SystemAdministrator
jtucker replied on Sun, Apr 6 2008 10:42 PM

On the two you mentioned, there is no problem because "we own the copyright," as they say.

Publisher, Laissez-Faire Books

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS