Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Help Wanted: Making Country Pages

rated by 0 users
This post has 26 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 433
Points 6,720
Peter Sidor Posted: Wed, Sep 22 2010 5:42 AM

What I want to create is a set of encyclopedic wiki pages on each country, with useful information for the student of Austrian Economics. A large part can be generated automatically - basic description, some features, stats - but that is all window dressing. The really interesting stuff will be links to other resources, notes and whole articles on whatever is useful to know about a country. I have created an initial set of countries for demonstration (Albania, Canada, Czech Republic, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Mexico, Slovakia, United Kingdom, United States) and added some material to Iceland - and will add to more countries as time allows. Next week I'll generate the remaining countries and will continue to extend them.

There is of course no chance for me to even come close to finishing this in any meaningful way, so here's where I'm looking for your help. Besides feedback, I am mainly interested in the following topics:

• major inflations
  • major panics, recessions and economical crises
  • government defaults, price controls, nationalizations and other important economy-impacting events
  • current monetary conditions (what is a given currency based on, etc.)
  • key historical episodes (possibly with alternative explanatons)

There is much knowledge out there, but it is often hard to find. So, let's make something like a Wikipedia page with a focus on the economical material. :)

If anyone is interested in a specific country (or even comes from one) and has useful, respectable resources, please add them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 233
Points 4,125
Metus replied on Wed, Sep 22 2010 6:58 AM

Seeing this Wiki, I have a question: Why does the LvMI not host a Wiki for the Austrian School and libertarianism? Sure would be useful to use the power of the intellectual masses around here.

I noted your project and will contribute a bit to the Germany page in the near future.

Honeste vivere, nemimen laedere, suum cuique tribuere.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 523
Points 8,850
Solredime replied on Wed, Sep 22 2010 7:08 AM

I think this is an excellent idea! I already like some of the information there, especially those handy little tables on debt ratios and revenues/expenses. It's fun to look at how constant or falling gov. revenues have been in the U.S. despite what are probably rising taxes. If I have some time, I'll try to add some information on countries I've lived in,

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 433
Points 6,720

Seeing this Wiki, I have a question: Why does the LvMI not host a Wiki for the Austrian School and libertarianism? Sure would be useful to use the power of the intellectual masses around here.

Actually, there is a wiki on the LvMI pages, but it has several issues I couldn't work around. It also seemed to be set up in the wrong way, but the choice was to complain, or do my own thing and demonstrate that it can be done differently. Which is being worked on. :)

I noted your project and will contribute a bit to the Germany page in the near future.

Thanks! Every little bit helps!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 233
Points 4,125
Metus replied on Wed, Sep 22 2010 7:20 AM

Peter Sidor:
Actually, there is a wiki on the LvMI pages, but it has several issues I couldn't work around. It also seemed to be set up in the wrong way, but the choice was to complain, or do my own thing and demonstrate that it can be done differently. Which is being worked on. :)

Hm, what a pity that the software of this site does not work that well like more mainstream products. But that is why there is competition and we advocate it: So that there are incentives for others to do it better. The only other libertarian wiki i know of is the one at vforvoluntary.com.

Peter Sidor:
Thanks! Every little bit helps!

You're welcome.

Honeste vivere, nemimen laedere, suum cuique tribuere.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 433
Points 6,720

"The only other libertarian wiki i know of is the one at vforvoluntary.com."

There is also Libertapedia, although it is more political and organizes its content differently. The Libertarian FAQ in turn seems rather sleepy. (Okay, plus LibertarianGuide, but that is more of a link farm made by Stephen Kinsella.) So there. :)

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 433
Points 6,720

BUMP!

I've added quite a bit on Greece (some ancient history, corruption and lots on the current crisis) and a little here and there. More details are always welcome; any ideas to the whole concept before I start mass-generating countries?

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 433
Points 6,720

And a final BUMP!

All countries have been generated, they will be expanded as time allows. Thanks for words of support.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 867
Points 17,790

Great idea, guys! I hope this project continues to expand. Thanks for your work!

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Wed, Oct 6 2010 1:49 AM

Just read the thread. I’ll try to expand the article on Albania with some public statistics or whatever else I can find for a reputable source. Great idea!

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 433
Points 6,720

Just read the thread. I’ll try to expand the article on Albania with some public statistics or whatever else I can find for a reputable source. Great idea!

There's a lot of countries I have trouble finding good resources for - thanks, Merlin!

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

I could add some data on Latvia...

A minor question - if I add monetary aggregates (M0-M3) statistics by year, should I create a separate table, or add rows to existing statistics?

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 433
Points 6,720

Hmmm... as long as the data is sourced I don't particularly care. Whatever looks better is okay - four rows are fine, make a separate table if it's a larger data set or over a longer period. Your help is welcome!

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 433
Points 6,720

Okay, I'm basically finished with the countries. More additions are of course unavoidable - and heartily welcome! (I'm looking specifically at those who made some promises in this thread. :) )

Thanks to all for the words of support!

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Thu, Nov 4 2010 2:40 AM

Absolutely right. I just forgot about this.

Since we’re here, would it be right to crate a whole new table containing data purely from the Albanian Statistical Institute, instead of filling in the blanks in the existing table? So people will not get confused about inflation from a year being from, say, the IMF and for the next year being form the Albanian INSTAT (source credibility also plays a role here). What do you think?  

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 433
Points 6,720

If the table is not too large, you could keep the numbers together on different lines, with proper sourcing. But in general, yes, it's better to keep them separate.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 226
Points 3,270

This is an excellent idea! Don't know if I can add anything useful but I'll take a look and see :)

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Sat, Nov 6 2010 11:08 AM

Finally I’ve managed to throw the data in. Please take a look at the Albania article and let me know what you’d like me to change.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 433
Points 6,720

"Finally I’ve managed to throw the data in. Please take a look at the Albania article and let me know what you’d like me to change."

Do you have the specific links from where you pulled the data?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Sun, Nov 7 2010 3:31 PM

I do, but I had to put the table together from 4 different tables per site. I’d need some 10 link to provide all sources. But if you think that would be fine, I can source all the table. Let me know. 

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 433
Points 6,720

Can you just send them to me? I can put them together and make nice reference tags (and migrate them to the new wiki as well).

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Sat, Nov 20 2010 6:10 AM

Peter, how did the general introductory texts for the various countries come together? Something you wrote, or was it taken from someplace?

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 433
Points 6,720

Check the reference. The introductions for countries came, of all places, from the CIA Factbook. It is

1. Possibly the best place to get a somewhat respectable summary for all countries in the world, and
  2. A source of delicious irony for a libertarian wiki. :)

While one can argue with it in some places, the summaries are pretty solid overall, with a strong focus on the political situation and some economics as well. Of course, nothing prevents people from rewriting them and make up for any defects of the original source.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Sat, Nov 20 2010 8:40 AM

To me personally they are off-puting. Take a look at the introduction for Serbia. 2/3rds of it are about something called "MILOSEVIC". Milošević was a person, not an acronmy, he does not need to be put in all-caps.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 433
Points 6,720

That is sadly a part of the original resource, capitalisation of key names. I have fixed as much; do you have an idea how to shorten down the introduction without concentrating too much on one person? (Rewriting would be of course better, but I lack resources on Serbia.)

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 433
Points 6,720

I couldn't help to notice that Serbia's summary was rewritten, and it looks much better now! If it was you, thanks!

In related news, there is now also a stub to collect information for former Yugoslavia. More resources are welcome!

• | Post Points: 0
Page 1 of 1 (27 items) | RSS