Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Help us build Atlantis!

This post has 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 80
WIJG21 Posted: Sat, Oct 6 2007 7:44 PM

We need your help and ideas to build this refuge. We need law, electronics and economic expertise. We need you to recommend books. We need homesteaders and settlers, as well as visitors and sympathisers. 

All are welcome to come to the island and experience first hand what peaceful freedom can accomplish. 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 80
WIJG21 replied on Sat, Oct 6 2007 7:48 PM

The constitution of Atlantis has only one law:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
All men are free to think, act and speak as they will. With these conditions:

1. That they respect the life, liberty and property of others.
2. That they assume full responsibility for their actions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
To be a citizen of Atlantis a person must sign the Constitution so that it is a true and binding contract between all citizens.

Citizens can choose who they rely on for the actual application and interpretation of the law: be it independent arbitrators, security or insurance services, justice cooperatives, or any other organisation to which they bind themselves in voluntary contract.
Ultimately the responsibility lies with each individual citizen, no organisation can claim the primary right to justice, only the derived and delegated rights

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 29
Points 570

okay, what's going on here? 

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 80
WIJG21 replied on Sun, Oct 7 2007 10:00 AM

Have a look round the island, you'll find out.

Google Atlantis Venezuela

If you like what you see, tell others you trust about it and help us build it.

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 500
GoRonPaul replied on Sun, Oct 7 2007 11:47 AM

Here is another map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=k&om=1&msa=0&msid=108791441919816171035.00043bda2ad65fda5177d&ll=10.996384,-65.37878&spn=0.025276,0.025749&z=14&source=embed

An idea that I have been considering is buying a cruise ship and declaring that the ship's country of origin is "Libertainia" a brand new country.

How do you ensure that those signing actually understand what they are signing? 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 80
WIJG21 replied on Sun, Oct 7 2007 12:49 PM

If you have the money to buy the boat, you're gonna need a refueling and resupply base. Why not Atlantis?

"How do you ensure that those signing actually understand what they are signing?   "

Instead of having a 20 page contract with 200 clauses in font size 6, make it short and simple, make sure they read it, make sure they have a waiting period to think of all the implications between reading and signing, have a person trusted by both parties as designed arbitrator to any disputes. 

In fact, there is a boat...Have you read about "The World"?

http://www.residensea.com/ 

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 500

Why not establish an interview process that involves: written examination, in person question and answer sessions, and so on?  It is important that both parties involved i.e. you and the person coming voluntarily accept each other.  Private companies could be established that screen visitor and resident applications. 

The constitution uses the word "respect".  Respect must be established before I will enter into a contract with another individual.  Especially a contract that requires respect from both parties.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 796
Points 14,585

I am assuming you will depenbd heavily on foreign trade for your basic goods. If that is the case how do you plan on trading without interference from Venezuela? Or will they not notice all the ships coming and goin from the island? Or are you infact prepared to protect trading vessels with some sort of  private Navy?

"I cannot prove, but am prepared to affirm, that if you take care of clarity in reasoning, most good causes will take care of themselves, while some bad ones are taken care of as a matter of course." -Anthony de Jasay

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 290
EotS replied on Sun, Oct 14 2007 9:35 PM

This brings up a lot of questions.

First, isn't the island Venezuelan property?  If so, I'd imagine you would have quite a task trying to settle the island without a preliminary agreement with the Venezuelan government.  Then, of course, you'd need to settle in payment to take ownership of the property, and in essence, gain permission to secede from Venezuela.

Anyone ever hear of the "New Utopia" project?  Those guys haven't done a thing in 15 years, and they're totally out of touch with reality.  At one time, I remember reading that they were going to build their airport for some ridiculously low price, like $3 million or something.  

The aspiration toward freedom is the most essentially human of all human manifestations. -Eric Hoffer

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS