Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

1950s tax rates

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
349 Posts
Points 5,915
Mtn Dew posted on Wed, Oct 27 2010 11:14 AM

So the tax rates in the 1950s were very high, especially for the richest folks. Were there more deductions back then? If not, how come in 1955 federal spending was 14% of GDP whereas today it's over 25%? Even including all government in 1955 spending was only about 25% compared to today's rate of 44%. If tax rates were so high, how come spending as a percent of GFP was almost half?

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
134 Posts
Points 2,260

Printing presses.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
349 Posts
Points 5,915
Mtn Dew replied on Wed, Oct 27 2010 12:11 PM

Not a good response, anyone else?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
618 Posts
Points 10,170
Southern replied on Wed, Oct 27 2010 12:25 PM

I would think that debt has to be a major component.  The borrowing would allow the government to spend more without haveing as high of a tax rate.

Top 10 Contributor
7,105 Posts
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 500 Contributor
349 Posts
Points 5,915

So we got a high tax rate, low deficit, but also lower spending vs. a lowered tax rate, high deficit and higher spending.

The question remains were there many deductions? With such a high rate at the top i would think growth would have been stunted even with Europe in ruins, but it really wasn't.

Top 10 Contributor
7,105 Posts
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I forgot :

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 10 Contributor
7,105 Posts
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

The graphs I made off the websites exclude state and local, so just federal

http://www.usgovernmentrevenue.com/

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com

Not Ranked
Male
80 Posts
Points 1,530

They weren't high, check the tax revenue. Secondly the government's operation is now funded by the selling of bonds.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,687 Posts
Points 48,995

Take into consideration that the size of the economy has nearly doubled per capita (well, 1.5x or so).

Top 75 Contributor
1,434 Posts
Points 29,210

They weren't high, check the tax revenue.

Didn't FDR/Truman/Eisenhower have the top tax bracket at like 90%?

During the war he pushed for even higher income tax rates for individuals (reaching a marginal tax rate of 91%) and corporations and a cap on high salaries for executives. (From Wikipedia because I can't find an old graph where I got the information from originally.)

Not Ranked
Male
80 Posts
Points 1,530

Yes, FDR actually tried to tax the top bracket 100%, but that's beside the point.

Top 75 Contributor
1,434 Posts
Points 29,210

Yes, FDR actually tried to tax the top bracket 100%, but that's beside the point.

1. You said they weren't high. How is that beside the point?

2. Do you have any sources that he wanted to make it 100%? I would assume that it's true, but I like sources.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,055 Posts
Points 41,895

Taxes have little relation to spending % of GDP everywhere due to the ability to borrow.

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS