Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Silly Newb Question

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,850
ladyphoenix Posted: Thu, Oct 28 2010 11:21 AM

I still consider myself a newb, so I'm going to use that as an excuse for asking this question...  How many women post here regularly, if any...?  I don't think I've seen any.

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 76
Points 1,240
ulrichPf replied on Thu, Oct 28 2010 11:44 AM

I know might get in trouble for saying the following, I would guess there are not many females here. When I try to talk economics with my wife or any of her female friend, I never see much enthusiasm on the topic. I am sure there a some females with an interest but in total the males are probably going to be heavily outnumber them, even in Keynsian, Chicago, Marxist etc economic forums.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,005
Points 19,030
fakename replied on Thu, Oct 28 2010 11:53 AM

There are some girls who come here but they rarely stay -infact, I can't remember any for the longest time except Liberte and I'm pretty sure Ladyattis.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Thu, Oct 28 2010 12:06 PM

Silly, there are no girls on the internet, and that isn't how I met my girlfriend.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,850

Nielsio:
Silly, there are no girls on the internet,
I have a friend who would argue the same.

Nielsio:
and that isn't how I met my girlfriend.
Nor is it where I met my husband.  :)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 743
Points 11,795

I've gotten plenty of women interested in economics(just gotta be damn passionate about it)- just not interested enough to read debates on the mises forum. I think its because the women I know find it to be depressing information when it comes to the state of the world so they rather not think about it all the time. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,850

auctionguy10:
I've gotten plenty of women interested in economics(just gotta be damn passionate about it)- just not interested enough to read debates on the mises forum. I think its because the women I know find it to be depressing information when it comes to the state of the world so they rather not think about it all the time.
Isn't that JUST LIKE a WOMAN to be all emotional about something like that!!

Seriously, though...  Wonder if they're not feeling "encouraged" by being exposed to this outlook?  I don't know.  I find that most people are too attached to the way things are to entertain the possibility of radical change.  My favorite quote from a christian friend upon learning I was a prepper, "I'd really just rather not live in that kind of world."  Love her to death, but THAT was more depressing than the idea that such a world might come about (post-apocaliptic).

Maybe I'm a weirdo.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 743
Points 11,795

ladyphoenix:
auctionguy10:
Isn't that JUST LIKE a WOMAN to be all emotional about something like that!!

Seriously, though...  Wonder if they're not feeling "encouraged" by being exposed to this outlook?  I don't know.  I find that most people are too attached to the way things are to entertain the possibility of radical change.  My favorite quote from a christian friend upon learning I was a prepper, "I'd really just rather not live in that kind of world."  Love her to death, but THAT was more depressing than the idea that such a world might come about (post-apocaliptic).

Maybe I'm a weirdo.

Lol nothing wrong with being all emotional about something like that, breathes some life into the world.

Its definitely the feeling of seeing "no hope" with the outlook when it comes to really getting into the subject- I think it goes for people in general not just women. I mean I don't like to think about what the future holds in a negative fashion all the time either(there's also a lot of positive, but for some reason its harder to paint a picture of that kind of world)- and the women I like to spend time with are just extremely present minded and that balance works out for me.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,850

auctionguy10:
Its definitely the feeling of seeing "no hope" with the outlook when it comes to really getting into the subject- I think it goes for people in general not just women. I mean I don't like to think about what the future holds in a negative fashion all the time either(there's also a lot of positive, but for some reason its harder to paint a picture of that kind of world)- and the women I like to spend time with are just extremely present minded and that balance works out for me.
I'm an anarchist married to a guy who wants to be a cop.  The only reason my husband and I get along is because I'm an anarchist atheist and he's an apathetic agnostic.  Where we aren't perfectly in line, he doesn't care enough to put up a fight.  :)  I totally get the balance thing.  We're both super-preppers though, so we have a pretty optimistic outlook on our own survival odds after something horrible. 

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 694
Points 11,400
Joe replied on Tue, Nov 30 2010 10:12 PM

I think one of the community groups should be a Lady Austrians or something  (Misesian Mistresses? Bohm-Bawerkian Bombshells?) laugh

Could certainly benefit from more female Austrians, well males too.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

Brainpolice said that Liberte was using a Korean model photo.  LaddyAttis was born a man.

The sad fact is that females are a tiny proportion of libertarians and Austrians or at least known ones.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

Really, so she wasn't even female? I mean, my profile picture is not me, and is male. So am I. Same logic. LaddyAttis is trans?

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

LaddyAttis is trans?

Yes.  There was a thread about it.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS