Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

How could Mises.org be improved?

rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 5,275
djussila Posted: Thu, Nov 11 2010 10:30 AM

Are there any ways the Mises.org experience could be better? Do you have any problems with how the website is structured? What could be added, or taken away? 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 166
Points 2,355
Marked replied on Thu, Nov 11 2010 10:56 AM

The UI on the forums could be improved.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 5,580
Lewis S. replied on Thu, Nov 11 2010 10:58 AM

I wish the audio and video lectures were better organized.  As it is now, the daily audio versions of articles are lumped in with lectures, which sometimes makes it a pain to navigate through the archives, especially for Rothbard.  That would be my only suggestion; everything else is great.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 233
Points 4,125
Metus replied on Thu, Nov 11 2010 10:59 AM

A great addition would be a wiki, methinks. Though there are some libertarian wikis out there, mises.org should attract more authors.

Honeste vivere, nemimen laedere, suum cuique tribuere.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 5,275
djussila replied on Thu, Nov 11 2010 11:14 AM

Marked:

The UI on the forums could be improved.

Maybe I'm missing something, but when somebody replies to you in a forum do you automatically get notified? Whenever I post I am constantly checking back to the forums to see if anyone replied to my post.   

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 358
Points 8,245

I wish you could download the individual chapters of audio books without going to that chapter's web page. For example, let's say that chapters 1-10 of a book are listed, as it is now, you must click chapter one, then download that chapter once that chapter's page loads. I think it would be better if you could simply right click on chapter one and download the mp3 file from there, without having to load another page. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Thu, Nov 11 2010 11:41 AM

Metus wrote:

A great addition would be a wiki,

http://wiki.mises.org/

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 792
Points 13,825
JackCuyler replied on Thu, Nov 11 2010 11:45 AM

I would love to see a mobile version of the site, m.mises.org or some such, with the content optimized for the smaller screen.  It would also be great if the forums were Tapatalk compatible. 

faber est suae quisque fortunae

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 233
Points 4,125
Metus replied on Thu, Nov 11 2010 11:56 AM

Jesus Christ, make me see again, for I am blind.

Though that'd be another point, make it more obvious ... off to explore the pages.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 875
Points 14,180
xahrx replied on Thu, Nov 11 2010 11:59 AM

"I wish the audio and video lectures were better organized.  As it is now, the daily audio versions of articles are lumped in with lectures, which sometimes makes it a pain to navigate through the archives, especially for Rothbard.  That would be my only suggestion; everything else is great." - Lewis S.

That would be my wish as well, along with one other thing: public speaking lessons for the presenters.  I love the lectures that are available, but some of them are hard if not impossible to listen to.  I'm sure Joe Salerno is brilliant, but he stutters so damn much he coukld probably give the same lecture in half the time minus the stutters.  And Thomas DiLorenzo has a tendency to start every sentence at FULL VOLUME and then trail off at the end, which has a tendency to put people to sleep.  Some of the other presenters say "um" and "ah" between every word of every sentence for the entire lecture.  When AH someone UM keeps AH saying UM and AH over UM and UM over AH and UM over AH again, it gets noticable and severely annoying.  As a product being put out to the public, the presentation of many of the speakers could be dramatically improved with a simple public speaking class to make them aware of these speech habits.

"I was just in the bathroom getting ready to leave the house, if you must know, and a sudden wave of admiration for the cotton swab came over me." - Anonymous
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Thu, Nov 11 2010 12:03 PM

Metus,

They only just launched it. That's why you didn't know.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

Fix the quoting system.

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 233
Points 4,125
Metus replied on Thu, Nov 11 2010 12:53 PM

When was the wiki launched? Just so I know. How did so many pages get already there?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

Libertyandlife:

Fix the quoting system.

Yep.

Also, when searching for mp3s on a topic, have the results be direct links to the mp3s, so that one can use a download manager such as Download Them All to download them all right from that page.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570

Fix the quoting system.

See, I would have loved to properly quote the above as the top priorty for improving the Mises forums, however I couldn't because...the quoting system is broken.  Fix the quoting system.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Thu, Nov 11 2010 1:25 PM

The Wiki was officially launched today. But it's been live in development for several days.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 249
Points 3,450
hugolp replied on Thu, Nov 11 2010 1:44 PM

Fix the forum in general, but make fixing the quoting system a priority.

Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 335

I think it'd be nice to have more of a focus on current news.  If that's possible.

fultonforcitycouncil.com - Donate to my city council campaign.
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 358
Points 8,245

Make it so that clickable links in a forum post automatically open a new tab/page, it currently sends you from the mises.org forums to whatever page is linked.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 157
Points 3,880
C replied on Mon, Nov 15 2010 5:44 PM

Ok definitely would like mises.org to add a button to post mises daily and blog posts to twitter.  Very similar in fashion to the button on youtube, which shortens the link and allows you to add a comment with it and post directly to twitter.  I tweet a ton on mises daily articles and its a bit cumbersome to have to copy the link, go to bit.ly and shorten it, then open twitter and post there.  Its particularly a pain in the ass to do that on my droid.  

I would bet mises.org would get even more exposure on twitter if you added that functionality.  

At least he wasn't a Keynesian!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

about twittering; that may be the kind of function you can use a 'bookmarklet' for.

I googled and found this (for example, maybe it doesn't work or there are better... i don't twitter myself...)

http://dev.twitter.com/pages/share_bookmarklet

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Nov 15 2010 6:01 PM

Yes. Buy a real, commercial bulletin-board. The home-brew thing is crap. The "new, improved" interface is non-functional (it's months now and we still can't quote). It's not that expensive. DCForums is one of the better ones I've used.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Mon, Nov 15 2010 6:13 PM

The front page does not show the newest videos. The newest video is Introducing the New Mises Wiki while the front page shows the newest video as The New Deal: History, Economics, and Law.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 2,945

So ironic considering the five or so spam threads above this one.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Sun, May 27 2012 10:45 PM

Dustin Jussila:

Are there any ways the Mises.org experience could be better? Do you have any problems with how the website is structured? What could be added, or taken away? 

Seems every other time I post something, the site thinks I'm a spambot and sends me to the captcha check. I wish that wasn't happening.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 233
Points 4,440
Cortes replied on Mon, May 28 2012 2:35 AM

^^^ Holy SHIT this.

I just tried to make a thread and the site went FBI on me. 

It feels like this forum interface is falling apart everywhere.

FFS I'm willing to donate if this site can get something based off ipboard of Vanilla or something functional. This interface seems nice at first view, but damn...

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 35

Well I would suggest llinking it to http://www.disqus.com as then people reply on disqus. You can follow people on it and they can follow you. You have 3 choices of replies: everything (meaning everyone you follow); your comments only; replies to you where you can click on context to see what you said that is getting replied to. And you can do all this on your disqus dashboard, and you can edit on it. All this fancy stuff won't show up but links will be hot. Besides disqus is used on a lot of other sites so you can reply on them without registering  so it makes it easier that people who are registered with disqus already don't have to go through a separate registration process. Much simplet.

People know what they do. They even know why they do what they do. But what they don't know is what they do does. - Michel Foucault
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 256
Points 5,630

The "daily articles" are pretty dry and boring. I hardly read them anymore. Once you read a few, you get the gist and everything seems more of the same.

Page 1 of 1 (28 items) | RSS