Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The Talking Heads

This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student Posted: Mon, Nov 15 2010 1:41 PM

I have been listening to the talking heads a lot lately and i just have to talk about them with someone. 

they are pretty, awesome right?

Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine - Elvis Presley

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Nov 15 2010 2:52 PM

I only have the 77 album, and I generally just listen to the first song and turn it off.  For some reason I always think of Gang of Four when I hear Talking Heads.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Mon, Nov 15 2010 10:45 PM

psycho killer is the best and most popular song on that album. you should find it and give it a shot :) 

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Nov 15 2010 10:53 PM

After another listen I do enjoy the music, I just have to be in the right mood.  Some aspects of it remind me of Devo (I think it's the vocals on some of the songs).

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Mon, Nov 15 2010 11:16 PM

i think thats an abt comparison 

both are sort of founders of the post punk/new wave movement of the early 80's as i understand it

but i typically prefer david byrne's vocal stylings over devos. 

side rant on devo: did you know that johnny rotten tried to join up with devo after he left the sex pistols? and that neil young's "rust never sleeps" album (which relaunched his career) was inspired in part by devo? its surprising how influential they were in the late '70s and early 80s but now the only song they're known for is "whip it". 

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,255
Points 36,010
William replied on Mon, Nov 15 2010 11:29 PM

Devo is one of my all time favorite bands (at least their 1st three albums, the rest is crap).  That whole "new wave" era is probably one of my favorite eras/ scenes in rock musci (Television, Joy Division,Blondie etc).  While I like the Talking Heads a lot, for some random reasons by accident I never listened to them as much as I should have.

If interested, get the album Q: Are We Not  Men A: We Are Devo.  The semi famous song "Gut Feeling" is a million times better than "Whip it".  And off their second album "Duty Now For the Future" the song "The Day My Baby Gave Me A Suprise" sounds like a song that should have been a big commercial hit.

And yes, Psycho Killer is the Bees Knees. 

EDIT: For the record I like David Byrns vocals much better than Devo's.  I like Devo's music better though.

"I am not an ego along with other egos, but the sole ego: I am unique. Hence my wants too are unique, and my deeds; in short, everything about me is unique" Max Stirner
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Mon, Nov 15 2010 11:39 PM

yah, i've been warming up to new wave a lot over the past 4-5 years. i just started listening to joy division recently, another kick ass band that was surprisingly influential but not very well known (at least in the states).

what turned you onto new wave william?

i grew up on a steady diet of country and classic rock with violent fits toward grunge in the 90s. i didn't start listening to new wave/post punk until college when the killers hit the charts in like 2004? they're pretty open about their new wave influences (they took their name from a new order video). 

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,255
Points 36,010
William replied on Mon, Nov 15 2010 11:56 PM

I think I started with grunge, 60's music, and a sprinkle of classic rock (all of which I still like), and I think I always liked the "weirder" albums/songs/bands and when I discovered the Velvet Underground in my senior year of high school it lead  me more down the New Wave path. 

I just started to seriously like country about 3 years ago.  The patrons at my bar are obsessed with David Allen Coe and Waylon Jennings, and I can't blame them.

Trivia:  New Order is the same band as Joy Division after Ian Curtis killed himself.  If your just getting into Joy Division check out the song "Transmission", one of my favs.

"I am not an ego along with other egos, but the sole ego: I am unique. Hence my wants too are unique, and my deeds; in short, everything about me is unique" Max Stirner
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Tue, Nov 16 2010 12:13 AM

wow. just listened to transmission. that is one crazy good song man. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Tue, Nov 16 2010 12:15 AM

If you like Joy Division check out The Chameleons, another 80's UK post punk band.  Early Death In June, Killing Joke, Gang of Four, New Order, Echo & The Bunnymen, etc.  SIouxsie & The Banshees and Bauhaus for more  80's goth/post-punk.

When you actually get into Devo it's some great stuff.  I feel they are  under rated in some aspects, mainly because the songs that are popularized are not their good songs.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Tue, Nov 16 2010 12:17 AM

When it comes to Joy Division, listen to their singles and Unknown Pleasures first, and then finally with the Closer album.  I didn't fully understand the lyrics til I watched the movie called Closer that's about Joy Division, and the personal problems Ian Curtis had, and then you understand how dark and depressing the music really is.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Tue, Nov 16 2010 12:26 AM

Bert, 

Lot of good suggestions there I will have to check out. :) 

i've actually just been listening to unknown pleasures (or at least what i can find on youtube). 

so far i really like the son "she's lost control" the most off this album. 

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Fri, Feb 4 2011 10:19 AM

I was listening to Public Image Ltd today and I was wondering, when you hear their song "poptones" does anyone else hear something akin to Ok Computer era Radiohead? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnBq98uUJE4&feature=feedlik

kinda moody, atmospheric, and a little electronic? 

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,124
Points 37,405
Angurse replied on Fri, Feb 4 2011 10:44 AM

Ha! I've been listening to them too much as well. "Love → Building on Fire" and "No Compassion" are my current favorites.

"I am an aristocrat. I love liberty, I hate equality."
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Fri, Feb 11 2011 10:32 AM

this thread alerted to me joy division and the excellent song "transmission". and i want to introduce it to this killer playmobil stop motion video to the tune.http://www.boingboing.net/2011/02/09/playmobil-stop-motio.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+boingboing/iBag+(Boing+Boing)

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,255
Points 36,010
William replied on Fri, Feb 11 2011 10:41 AM

Wow that was awesome.  Also that PIL song was amazing, it has been a good 5 or 6 years since I heard it.  What an amazing song, I had forgotten about it.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,255
Points 36,010
William replied on Fri, Feb 11 2011 10:56 AM

I just sent that vid to all my band mates (who are all huge joy division fans)

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 166
Points 2,875
Beefheart replied on Fri, Feb 11 2011 11:49 AM

Love this band-- especially Remain in Light, which gets a little slow in the end, but the first four songs are some of the best in the genre. Post-Punk in general is a fairly rich genre-- The Fall, The Birthday Party, Spacemen 3, Bauhaus, The Church, -- as well as lot of great offshoots like dream pop/shoegazing (Cocteau Twins, My Bloody Valentine) and one of my favorite genres (and one that barely went anywhere), no wave, like Glenn Branca, James Chance and the Contortions, early Swans, early Sonic Youth, etc.

My personal Anarcho-Capitalist flag. The symbol in the center stands for "harmony" and "protection"-- I'm hoping to illustrate the bond between order/justice and anarchy.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS