Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

empirical verification of business cycle

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 125
elcrack11 posted on Tue, Nov 16 2010 3:31 PM

Hello,

I am writing thesis about Financial Crisis from the viewpoint of the Austrian Business Cycle Theory. My main proposition is that last crisis can be explained by using ABCT. I am aware that Austrian School doesn't accept empirical verification of theory. Using indexes like Gross Domestic Product is not a good idea. And I haven't got a clue how to show the lengthening of the producture structure in US economy. One of subsections of de Soto Money, bank credit and economic cycle is Empirical evidence for the theory of the cycle. Do you know any other works about this topic - Empirical evidence for the theory of the cycle? I really appreciate your help and any suggestions.

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
276 Posts
Points 4,320

here's a couple that may be helpful:

Robert Higgs Anatomy of the Current Recession

Robert Higgs mises blog

come to think of it, check out Murray Rothbard's The Great Depression

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,124 Posts
Points 37,405

http://www.ubirataniorio.org/emp.pdf

https://mises.org/journals/qjae/pdf/qjae9_2_4.pdf

Helpful?

"I am an aristocrat. I love liberty, I hate equality."
Top 500 Contributor
Male
199 Posts
Points 3,930

Final Sales of Domestic Product began increasing above trend from 2003 to 2006. That would normally indicate loose money, but it may have just corrected for previous falls below trend. Moreover, the rise in Final Sales does not seem significant enough to account for the housing bubble. Perhaps loose monetary policy exacerbated the situation, but other factors may have been more important.

A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 125

Thank you for all sugestions. I agree with Modus Tollens that other factors can be more important and I can paint myself into a corner. Maybe I change the topic and write about crisis in which it is clearer that it was caused by monetary policy. For example Japan crisis in 90' should be easier to explain by ABCT.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
300 Posts
Points 5,325

Bob Murphy: Putting ABCT to the Test

http://mises.org/daily/4682

Top 500 Contributor
249 Posts
Points 3,450
hugolp replied on Wed, Nov 17 2010 8:34 AM

I think you will like this: http://www.gmu.edu/depts/rae/archives/VOL14_4_2001/5_keeler.pdf

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 40
wadams replied on Sat, Nov 20 2010 5:41 AM

I agree with NewLiberty.

Murphy's idea using the percent change in employees in the different stages of production is a quick way to look at where resources are being directed.  

Murphy's graph in his article shows the construction sector bust.  For your purposes, I would extend the series to show the build up in construction (blue line) without a corresponding decline in retail (purple line).  This is a period of over-consumption and over-(mal-) investment.

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 40
wadams replied on Sat, Nov 20 2010 5:48 AM

One thing that I should add:  The ABCT is a real economy theory.  The financial crisis (credit crunch, financial institution turmoil) was a symptom of the real economic crisis (mis-allocation of resources).

Top 500 Contributor
304 Posts
Points 5,160

A point to make is that there is no such thing as empirical evidence or verification for a praxeological theories. Some of our assumptions in describing economics (the existence of multiple people and money) are empirical claims, but even there, the arguments derived from these are not.

What historical data can be used for is to be analyzed from the perspective of theory, or used as an illustration thereof.

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 125

I am aware of austrian methodology. However, in my university where keynesian economics dominates my thesis have to be based on statistic data and touch on real economy. I insist on writing about business cycle, but I can't just introduce theory and that's it. My thesis supervisor doesn't accept this. So I would write about Japan crisis in '90 according to ABCT.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS