Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What's your opinion on the Westboro Baptist Church protests?

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 358
Points 8,245
Scrooge McDuck Posted: Fri, Nov 19 2010 1:46 AM

I'm an atheist, but I have come to sympathize with these people. Not their message, but their courage in nonviolently spreading it and what they think is right. I began thinking this way after all of the violence  placed and wished upon them from others. I kind of think of them as heroes. As an an-cap, I can easily see my opinions met with similar violence, and I'm not sure I would have the heart to keep at it like they do. Your thoughts?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Nov 19 2010 8:05 AM

When I stayed at my friends in Topeka, KS I missed out on watching these fools protesting.  I don't see them as being heroes of any sort.  Fred Phelps (and from what I understand members of his family) are lawyers so they know loopholes in the law to get away with picketing funerals and other events without taking heat.  Oddly enough this guy has ran for governor and mayor with the Democrat party.  Honestly, the guy is fucking nuts.  My friend told me they seem to be on the street protesting more often than being in church, and that they all bought houses on the same block to make their own gated community.  What I didn't understand in Topeka was that I had never seen more liqour stores, smoke shops, and sketchy looking neighborhoods than there, and that's where the WBC decides to protest everything, in the heart of "sin" (or at least where they breed).

Lawsuit against WBC

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 198
Points 3,100
jay replied on Fri, Nov 19 2010 10:06 AM

It's basically a big scam. Phelps (a lawyer himself) racks up millions of dollars though court cases if WBC is denied permits to protest or if they are physically attacked during protests.

Besides that, there's nothing inherent in Calvinism, WBC's theology, that is explicitly anti-war. I doubt if they really are.

"The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -C.S. Lewis
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 875
Points 14,180
xahrx replied on Fri, Nov 19 2010 10:13 AM

I can't stand them because they seem like a bunch of classless pricks to me.  I have plenty of opinions that piss a lot of people off, out of general respect I tend to keep them to myself in situations where such people are already under a giant pile of shit, like at their kids' fucking funeral.  I sure as hell have opinions about the military and how it's being used that would frazzle such people, I'd be an asshole if I decided to voice those opinions at such an event.

"I was just in the bathroom getting ready to leave the house, if you must know, and a sudden wave of admiration for the cotton swab came over me." - Anonymous
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

Fred Phelps was a famous civil rights lawyer who brought up lawsuits to ensure complete and vigourous implementation of the Civil Rights Act in the workplace across his country. Used to be loved among non-Southern Democrats for his work.

We could have considered America's Civil Rights Act of 1964 to be based on sincere conviction had there not been the clear proof that there are men like Phelps who simply found opportunity and exploitation in it...as did many American lawyers and politicians.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 618
Points 10,170
Southern replied on Fri, Nov 19 2010 10:44 AM

Truly despicable people in my opinion.  They use public property and legal loopholes in order to inflict emotional pain on those who have just lost a loved one. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 875
Points 14,180
xahrx replied on Fri, Nov 19 2010 10:50 AM

"Truly despicable people in my opinion.  They use public property and legal loopholes in order to inflict emotional pain on those who have just lost a loved one."

The public property and legal loopholes I could care less about, but right on the money on the latter.  Someone just loses a son, a daughter, a husband or wife, and they come in and decide that is the time ot make their opinions known in the least respectful way possible.  Nonviolent means of doing such things are ethical, but Christ it takes a low son of a bitch to treat another human being like that.

"I was just in the bathroom getting ready to leave the house, if you must know, and a sudden wave of admiration for the cotton swab came over me." - Anonymous
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,037
Points 17,975
John Ess replied on Fri, Nov 19 2010 11:46 AM

"Besides that, there's nothing inherent in Calvinism, WBC's theology, that is explicitly anti-war."

I thought Calvinism was also about predestination.  In which case I don't see the point in them criticizing other people.  Since no one can help what they do anyway.  God already chose the people for heaven and hell.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 349
Points 5,915
Mtn Dew replied on Fri, Nov 19 2010 11:47 AM

They're scum. Just because one has a right to do something doesn't mean they should.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 618
Points 10,170
Southern replied on Fri, Nov 19 2010 12:09 PM

The public property and legal loopholes I could care less about, but right on the money on the latter.

I guess I was taking a little jab at the government.  If they couldnt hide behind public property and the laws to assemble to protest there they couldnt do what they do.  In a world where there is no such thing as public property these people would not be able to go around making these sociopathic protests.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 358
Points 8,245

On second thought, I think you guys are right. It seems like much of what they do is done just for attention.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 443
Points 9,245

The WBC is absolutely batshit insane. Recently at a funeral protest, the tires on their cars were slashed, and no locals shops would repair them. The power of ostracization at its finest.

Man I hate religious fundies.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 198
Points 3,100
jay replied on Fri, Nov 19 2010 2:10 PM

"I thought Calvinism was also about predestination.  In which case I don't see the point in them criticizing other people.  Since no one can help what they do anyway.  God already chose the people for heaven and hell."

Yes and no. I don't want to get off topic here with a big theological post -- it's hard to explain and there's differing views on the role of God's sovereignty vs man's choice in the salvific process.

But if there's free money via the court system, some people won't care if you're predestined or not.

"The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -C.S. Lewis
Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS