Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Economic history of Mexico

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
158 Posts
Points 3,965
the5thresistance posted on Fri, Nov 19 2010 4:30 PM

anyone got links to pdp or literature that has a free market perspective of mexican economic history

much thanks

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
Male
433 Posts
Points 6,720

I admit to lack the resources you ask for, but if anyone gets hold of some, there is a place to keep them: Mexico. Thanks in advance!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
38 Posts
Points 825

bump. been looking for the exact same thing.

any links guys? spanish links are fine with me

Top 200 Contributor
Male
390 Posts
Points 7,705

Try emailing Prof. Colin Lewis (c.m.lewis@lse.ac.uk) who specializes in Latin American Economic History from the LSE. He hasn't been teaching the course this year, but he might still offer some advise. Goodluck!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
1,485 Posts
Points 22,155

This is blog from the UNAM course with biography, lectures etc: http://historiaeconomicademexicoi.blogspot.it/

There's a very good series about Mexican economy written by various authors (Esparanza, Fujigaki, Malvido etc) and published by Oceano del Norte under the simple title Historia Economica de Mexico. Each volume tackles a different issue: agriculture, mining etc.

A recent, highly praised book is Historia Economica General de Mexico edited by Sandra Kuntz-Fickel. I ahven't had the occasion of reading it yet though.

Few Austrians know it but Ludwig Von Mises himself was actually asked by the Mexican government for economic advice. I know something was written about it but cannot find the references right now...

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Not Ranked
38 Posts
Points 825

thanks for the list, by any chance any of those books from an austrian economist perspective?

Top 75 Contributor
1,485 Posts
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 11:02 AM

They are not written by Austrians if that's what you mean. Sadly I am not aware of any economical history of Mexico written from an Austrian prospective.

I have tried searching Mises Hispano and other Spanish language Austrian Economics sites but to no avail. Sorry.

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Top 500 Contributor
Male
233 Posts
Points 4,440
Cortes replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 10:58 PM

I was reading Wikipedia and game across this passage:

In December 1994, a month after Salinas was succeeded by Ernesto Zedillo, the Mexican economy collapsed, with a rapid rescue packaged authorized by U.S. President Bill Clinton and major macroeconomic reforms started by president Zedillo, the economy rapidly recovered and growth peaked at almost 7% by the end of 1999.[69]

Very interesting. Doubt the OP is still around, but I've found this and this, though. 

Top 500 Contributor
285 Posts
Points 4,140

the5thresistance:
anyone got links to pdp or literature that has a free market perspective of mexican economic history

much thanks

I'd be interested too.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS