Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Beer

rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 268
Points 5,220
SirThinkALot Posted: Sun, Nov 28 2010 1:32 PM

Three cheers for that most ancient and delicious of beverages.  I dunno about the rest of you but to me theres very little more enjoyable than a good cold brew. 

But whats everybody's favorite kind/brand of beer?  I'm fond of Harp's and Moosehead myself, although occasionally I'll have Newcastle for something different.  Seems a lot of the time I end up drinking MGD because its cheap(but still pretty good)....

OBJECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you preface everything you say with the phrase 'studies have shown...' people will believe anything you say no matter how ridiculous. Studies have shown this works 87.64% of the time.
  • | Post Points: 170
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,434
Points 29,210

Hahaha, I don't know why this thread is here but I like it. If it continues, what's the best-tasting beer for beginners? I've only tried like two kinds of beers before and they tasted terrible. I'll be ordering Dr. Peppers with dinner until I'm 100 years old.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 5,275
djussila replied on Sun, Nov 28 2010 1:48 PM

If I'm feeling cheap Ill get Lucky Lager, which is pretty good considering the price. Otherwise I really like Red Stripe. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570

So far everyone in this thread is drinking terrible beer!

Victory Brewing Company:

• Yakima Glory (formerly Yakima Twilight before trademark disputes)
  • Hop Wollop
  • Scarlet Fire (thier rauchbier)
  • Prima Pils

Great Lakes Brewing Company:

• Edmund Fitzgerald porter
  • Elliot Ness Lager

Smuttynose:

• Robust Porter
  • Bestest Kind IPA
  • Shoals pale ale

Troeg's

• Trogenator Dopplebock
  • Java Head Stout
  • Sunshine Pils

Others:

Bell's - Two Hearted Ale

Weyerbacher - Heresy (bourbon barrel aged imperial stout)

Lagunitas - Little Sumpin' Sumpin'

That's just a few.  Really it's hard to say because there's so much new stuff coming out all the time.  Half of my "favorite" beers are one-off creations by some of the local breweries that are made once and then often never again.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 268
Points 5,220

Hahaha, I don't know why this thread is here but I like it.

I felt like posting it, no particular reason.

If it continues, what's the best-tasting beer for beginners? I've only tried like two kinds of beers before and they tasted terrible.

Truth be told some people just dont have the right kind of 'taste' for beer.  My mom's that way, just cant stand the stuff(that isnt a bad thing mind you).  But out of curosity, what kind was it you tried?  Most mass-produced beers are pretty terrible, especially in the US for some reason, the only one I can really stand to drink is MGD....

OBJECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you preface everything you say with the phrase 'studies have shown...' people will believe anything you say no matter how ridiculous. Studies have shown this works 87.64% of the time.
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570

Beginners to beer drinking should probably shy away from anything that is heavily hopped until you get the hang of things.  That means staying away from India Pale Ales (IPAs), Russian Imperial Stouts, and some pale ales and pilsners.  These are usually fairly bitter, which is what usually puts people off of beers.

To start, look for lagers, wheat/wit/weiss beers, belgian tripels or dubbels, porters (not imperial), oktoberfests, and potentially barelywines and fruited wheat beers.  ESBs (extra special bitter, don't worry the "bitter" is kind of an anarchonism) might also be worth a look.

If you're in the US, some mass-market beers you shold look into to get started would be Yuengling's Lager, Blue Moon, Hoegardden, Sam Adam's Boston Lager (and most of SA's lineup), Newcastle Brown Ale, and Guinness.  For more "big craft breweries", look into Samuel Smith or Sierra Nevada, which are both fairly prolific.

The above listed beers/breweries are by no means the best, or even in the top 10, but that should give you a good target list to get you started if you're only used to Bud/Miller/Coors.  Once you get used to your basic stuff, then start looking for whatever craft breweries and/or brewpubs are available in your area, and never turn back!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,434
Points 29,210

But out of curosity, what kind was it you tried?

I think they were two normal ones like Bud Light and Coors Light or something like that.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 202
Points 2,620
mwalsh replied on Sun, Nov 28 2010 6:28 PM

This interests me as well- where I am, and assuming its off campus, all I'd be able to get is

1) only light versions of:

2) Bud/Coors/Michelob, or PBR?Blue Moon/Yuengling

i know thats all they will drink where I am- but then again, I'm in FL.

Now I haven't drunk any, but I have cooked with it (my Irish ancestors roll at this, but) and I've used Guiness or Killian Red- I've tried Michelob Ultra to cook- but I found it tasted, after cooked, horrible- minimal flavor, etc

"To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." - Unknown
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sun, Nov 28 2010 9:44 PM

Brian, most beer is shit, whatever you can buy at a grocery store at least.  An extremely cold PBR or a Yuengling is tolerable.  I've also noticed that a can will taste different than a bottle.  If there's beer offered to me, I'll drink it.  I won't turn down free beer.  I won't go out my way to buy it, though.

I drink Hornsby's and Woodchuck cider (lately more Hornsby's than Woodchuck).  If you're a "beginner" then try either of the two, they're delicious.  Cheap wine and vodka is also a regular as well as cider.

Another thing if you don't like the taste of beer try those delicious Smirnoff drinks like the Mango flavor.  I'll hear people bash that type of stuff, but it taste good, so whatever.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 130
Points 1,585
G8R HED replied on Mon, Nov 29 2010 6:49 AM

Guinness!  It's Good For You!  ;)

"Oh, I wish I could pray the way this dog looks at the meat" - Martin Luther

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570

Beer tastes different in cans as opposed to bottles because the can's protect the beer from being light-struck or "skunked".  The UV rays will degrade the hop flavors.  Cans are actually superior to glass bottles, they protect against light and seal better, and all modern cans have inner coatings so that the beer doesn't pick up an aluminum taste.  Cost, familiarity, and social stigma that cans are "cheap" are basically what keeps most craft brewers using bottles.

As for the Smirnoff stuff, that's not beer, it's cheap malt liquor that's been loaded with sugar and artificial fruit flavoring, heh.  If your objective is to get drunk, then just make cocktails.  They're far cheaper and you can impress the ladies/gents with your bartending skills.  If your objective is, however, to enjoy a tastey adult beverage, then quality beer is an excellent choice.

I get the feeling that the posters here caliming "most beers are shit" are still in college and drinking crap beer.  If beers were cheeses you're drinking the equivilant of Kraft Singles.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 202
Points 2,620
mwalsh replied on Mon, Nov 29 2010 8:28 AM

"I get the feeling that the posters here caliming "most beers are shit" are still in college and drinking crap beer.  If beers were cheeses you're drinking the equivilant of Kraft Singles."

I agree- I know there are ones out there that are good, but all the people who I talk too say beer=bad beacuse they not only dirnk the bad beers, but the light versions to boot.

"To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." - Unknown
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 247
Points 4,415

My all-time favorite beer is Bj's Piranha Pale Ale. I also like Red Rocket. I love hoppy beer!

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Nov 29 2010 10:55 AM

As for the Smirnoff stuff, that's not beer, it's cheap malt liquor that's been loaded with sugar and artificial fruit flavoring, heh.  If your objective is to get drunk, then just make cocktails.  They're far cheaper and you can impress the ladies/gents with your bartending skills.  If your objective is, however, to enjoy a tastey adult beverage, then quality beer is an excellent choice.

I get the feeling that the posters here caliming "most beers are shit" are still in college and drinking crap beer.  If beers were cheeses you're drinking the equivilant of Kraft Singles.

Regardless, Smirnoff taste good.  Some have complained about getting sick from the amount of sugar, but I've had no problem.  As for someone who probably doesn't know how to make cocktails it's probably a step up instead of them screwing everything up while trying to impress someone (but I guess if you want to know start now).  If we're talking about mixed drinks I feel that's a different topic entirely!

I personally don't care for beer.  I have friends that drink it.  I have some that buy shit, and I have some that buy the best they can, and neither have interested me.  I've put more time into wine than beer selection, and now my friend and I have gone out our way to try a new wine every week (or two or three wines).

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,600

LogisticEarth

I like your style.. I think I've had about half your list. I lived briefly in PA and I believe I've had everything Victory had to offer at the time, but Scarlet Fire (while good) was never the same after someone mentioned it tasted like bacon--and well, sort of. smiley

Yakima Twilight was one of my favorites as was all their Belgian Wits (Mad King for one).

Now even though I'm back in Florida I've found that the local liquor stores for some reason have Prima Pils, Hop Devil and Golden Monkey to my great surprise. I think I might pick up some Golden monkey on my way home after finding this list.

Speaking of one-offs, for october 10th the local brewery (Swamp Head) did a one-off brew named "10-10-10" though it should have been called "10-10-10-10" seeing as that last one was the ABV%. It was really good, and I got literally the last pint in town (but only one no).

" ‘Bread and Circuses’ is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for which there is no cure. “
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 337
Points 7,660

Favourite beers; Feldschlossen, Super Bock and Bernard 

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 12:03 PM

Thought about making a new thread for this, but this already exist.  My preference of drink has changed these past 2 years, and I like to add something I had last night.  I assume it's from Victory brewing company, a 9.5% ale called Golden Monkey.  Cost $10 for a six pack, and was well damn worth it.  Something I couldn't figure out that my friend brought up is that it had either ginger or nutmeg in it, but with that percentage I didn't really care.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,600

assume it's from Victory brewing company, a 9.5% ale called Golden Monkey.  Cost $10 for a six pack, and was well damn worth it.

Ho!

I lived in the vicinity of Victory Brewery for 2 years and I admit I have an affinity for a few of their brews now. Fortunately for me they stock them here in Florida--I actually have a six-pack of Golden Monkey in my fridge--very "spice"y as you implied but I can't help you with the spice itself. I like the belgian wits they do too ("Mad King" and "Whirlwind" among others).

Victory sits with me as a [ironic] "ne'er do well" local brewery much like Dogfish Head, Swamphead and Cigar City.

Good on you I suppose.

" ‘Bread and Circuses’ is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for which there is no cure. “
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

I'm way more into liquor, and not much of a beer drinker, so nothing fancy and I'm fairly pragmatic / utilitarian with my chocie but:

Coors (regular Coors, not light)

Point

After that Japanese / Chinese Lagers

other than that I tend to like Wheat beers

oh and a good Newcastle, Guiness, or Harps every once in awhile

Cheap beers:

Pabst an High Life are both pretty good; though they can leave a bit of a hangover.

Either way after a really hard physical day of work - drinking some draft wheat beer is very therapeutic for me  - nothing else quite makes the mark for me.  There may be medical reasons for this phenmona, I suggest everyone try this after intense physical activity.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 3:34 PM

I tend to shift from beer weeks to liqour weeks.  As far as the cheap stuff goes I'll stick with PBR, Mickey's, and High Life.  When I have the money I venture off into microbrews.  The past 3 being Golden Monkey, Legend (7.9% from Richmond, VA), and Wild Blue (8%).  Not sure how I feel about Wild Blue, I think it's something I have to be in the mood for (which probably won't be often).  As far as liqour goes I generally just drink Evan Williams whiskey.  If I'm at a show/bar I can't resist ordering blue motorcycles.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

I only had Evan Williams once or twice - I don't think it's very common in my area (great lakes).  I'm sure it's fine - it is very hard for me to find any type of whisky (being bourbon, rye, tenesse, or scotch) that I flat out dislike; but I can't remember anything about the taste for the life of me.

Mickey's I don't like; I also think it has some of the nastiest hangovers (other than maybe Genesee cream ale).

A blue motocycle is virtually identical to a long island ice tea (caracao and triple sec are about the same thing) - this is either very potent and dangerous drink, or you're going to get a bar that knows how to rip off people (there are "fake" ways to make these things) if they are charging over 6 bucks.

lol,  As an ex bar owner / bar tende anyone who ordered Long Islands I tended to keep two eyes on (as did most bar tenders).  On my side of the bar it usually signaled young and inexperienced people who may have fake ID's or start fights. 

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 3:58 PM

I generally will buy William's honey whiskey, and sometimes I'll try different brands, but Evan Williams turned into "the brand" of my group of whiskey drinking friends.

I won't disagree on Mickey's hangovers, I generally won't drink more than a six pack of it, but as far as cheap beer goes I'll settle.

I'll ask the bartender the price and if they "make them good" before I order, and watch them as they do.  A week ago I was at a show and ordered 2 blue motorcycles, needless to say I was shit faced for $14.  (With beer and cider ranging around a $5 mark I think it's more economical for me to get drunk off blue motorcycles - which 2 will do the job.)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

best way to gauge those things:

If they have a premix and you are paying 7 bucks - you are getting ripped off.  If not, they actually arent bad bargain ways to get shit faced whlie sipping on a drink that is palatable.

If they are actually pulling out all the liquors an making them you're probably fine.

The busier and younger the bar (or the more "clubby")/ the bigger your chance of getting ripped off.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 9:57 PM

I haven't had one that's premixed, I watch them mix the liqour on the spot (and it has been a lot of liqour for any blue motorcycle I've had).  Only places I've ordered them from have been more along the lines of pubs with live music and/or small venues, I'd be hesitant to be ordering liqour from clubs (watered down rum and coke? no thank you.)

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

On a very slight chance that any of you guys happens to travel to Latvia, here is a comprehensive guide to Latvian beers http://labsalus.lv/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/beer-guide-a4v3.pdf :)

I wish someone did something similar for German/Czech/British/Benelux (oh, and American/Australian) beers.

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 478
Points 10,295

I thought this thread was on Thomas Jefferson. (He once said that beer was the evidence that G-d wants us to be happy.)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 145
Points 3,690

Most of you guys are drinking garbage. :P I would recommend the following:

Stouts: Mikkeller Black Hole Stout (any variety), Bell's Expedition Stout, Bell's Kalamazoo Stout, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Victory Storm King Stout, Left-Hand Milk Stout with Nitrogen. Some trendy picks include: Guinness, Murphy's, O'Hara's, Beamish. 

Brown Ales: Rogue Hazlenut Brown Nector, Brown Dog Ale (don't remember the brewer), Lagunitas Brown Shugga Ale.

Anything by Dogfish Head: 120 Minute IPA, Midas Touch, Apricot (forgot the exact name). 

Anything by Bell's Brewery: Two Hearted Ale, Great Lakes Lager, Oberon. 

Innis and Gunn Scotch Ale is terrific. 

Agh...so many more!!!

Of course, all of this depends on the circumstances and what food you're pairing it with. My all-time favorite is Kuhnhen Raspberry Eisbock. An absolutely incredible work of art. Pair this with a fine chocolate dessert and life gets no better. The free market is amazing. If they ever socialize beer-making, then I will really lose it!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 5:30 PM

FunkedUp the only beer I can recollect seeing around here in your list (besides Guiness) is Dogfish Head, but I am on the east coast.

If they ever socialize beer-making, then I will really lose it!!!

Have you watched Beer Wars?

Page 1 of 1 (28 items) | RSS