Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Bernanke claims he is not printing money.

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 22 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
130 Posts
Points 3,015
cr113 posted on Tue, Dec 7 2010 3:12 PM

On 60 minutes last weekend Bernanke claimed the fed is not printing money when they purchase treasuries. He said that no new money is added to circulation.

Is this true? I always assumed that when the fed buys something it writes a check to the seller. Doesn't the seller now have "money" that didn't previously exist? And couldn't the seller decide to cash the check if he wanted to and have it converted to physical paper currency?

• | Post Points: 125

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
2,028 Posts
Points 51,580

Bernake and the Federal Reserve don't have the power to print money.  The US treasury prints money.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
2,966 Posts
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Tue, Dec 7 2010 3:51 PM

cr113:
I always assumed that when the fed buys something it writes a check to the seller. Doesn't the seller now have "money" that didn't previously exist? And couldn't the seller decide to cash the check if he wanted to and have it converted to physical paper currency?

What you assumed was correct.  Continue to assume it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845

He said this once before, essentially claiming that they are not increasing M0 (cash in circulation), which is just a strawman. In the 60 minutes episode, he flatly and simply lies when he says they are not increasing the monetary base. I'm amazed that he can state a fairly straightforward falsehood like that, on television, unchallenged. Oh, well, it's good to be the King.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 75 Contributor
1,434 Posts
Points 29,210

Bernake and the Federal Reserve don't have the power to print money.  The US treasury prints money.

...? what?

Top 500 Contributor
130 Posts
Points 3,015
cr113 replied on Tue, Dec 7 2010 4:30 PM

I have another question on this subject.

Suppose the fed buys an asset like a million dollar house for example. The fed "prints" 1 million and gives it to the home owner. Now there is 1 million more dollars added to the monetary base. In this case I can see how the fed could potentially remove that 1 million from the monetary base. They can resell the house to someone and "burn" the million they get back (assuming they can still get a million).

But what about when the fed buys it's own debt? Let's suppose they buy 1 million in treasuries. The fed prints 1 million and gives it to the owner (?). Just like with the house purchase. Now the fed owns a piece of paper that promises to pay maybe 1.2 million. If the fed tries to remove that million by selling the 1.2 t-note it will only be temporary because that t-note is a promise to pay 1.2 million dollars! So the net result eventually when the t-note matures is for the monetary base to increase by 1.2 million! Am I correct?

Top 100 Contributor
814 Posts
Points 16,290

Brian: The Fed orders cash from the Bureau of Printing and Engraving.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
266 Posts
Points 4,040

Tangent: You noticed how his lip quivered and he seemed really nervous through that interview?

Top 25 Contributor
4,532 Posts
Points 84,495

A federal reserve note is just one of many forms of Fed credit. Every issue of Fed credit is, broadly speaking, "printing money". Whether it's printed on paper or on a computer, or just agreed over a handshake, makes no difference.

Top 75 Contributor
1,434 Posts
Points 29,210

Brian: The Fed orders cash from the Bureau of Printing and Engraving.

Okay, maybe I'm confused. So the Federal Reserve orders the Bureau to print money for the FedRes for free. And then they lend it to the U.S. Treasury with interest? I always assumed the Federal Reserve printed the money. But basically the U.S. Treasury could just order the Bureau to print it money for free when it needs it without interest?

EDIT: The interview, for anyone who hasn't seen.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845

Tangent: You noticed how his lip quivered and he seemed really nervous through that interview?

Yeah, I did! WTF was up with that??!?

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Male
470 Posts
Points 7,025
Vitor replied on Tue, Dec 7 2010 10:17 PM

Yup, his lips were very asymmetrical, like he has being smoking a pipe for decades, and given his words and actions, it's some heavy shit he smokes.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
266 Posts
Points 4,040

To Clayton and Vitor....

Bernanke smokes rocks?

Waiting for someone with photoshop skills to whiten Bernanks lips and give him a red beanie.

Top 500 Contributor
130 Posts
Points 3,015
cr113 replied on Wed, Dec 8 2010 9:10 AM

Stranger: "A federal reserve note is just one of many forms of Fed credit. Every issue of Fed credit is, broadly speaking, "printing money". Whether it's printed on paper or on a computer, or just agreed over a handshake, makes no difference."

Plus the fact that you could get the credit converted to cash at any time if you preferred.

Top 150 Contributor
618 Posts
Points 10,170

Okay, maybe I'm confused. So the Federal Reserve orders the Bureau to print money for the FedRes for free. And then they lend it to the U.S. Treasury with interest? I always assumed the Federal Reserve printed the money. But basically the U.S. Treasury could just order the Bureau to print it money for free when it needs it without interest?

For the most part when people are talking about the fed "printing" money they are not referring to physical cash.  They are referring to accounting entries on the feds balance sheet.  The following is an example:

1. Assets = Liabilities + Equity
  US Gov. Debt Comm Bank Debt   US Gov Deposits Com. Bank Deposit   Fed Equity Acct.
Begin $1,000,000,000 $1,000,000,000   $500,000,000 $1,000,000,000   $500,000,000

Before the purchase of the bonds you can see that the total money supply is 1.5 billion (the amount of money that the depositors at the Fed have access to).

2. Assets = Liabilities + Equity
  US Gov. Debt Comm Bank Debt   US Gov Deposits Comm Bank Deposit   Fed Equity Acct.
Begin $1,000,000,000 $1,000,000,000   $500,000,000 $1,000,000,000   $500,000,000
  $600,000,000       $600,000,000    
End $1,600,000,000 $1,000,000,000   $500,000,000 $1,600,000,000   $500,000,000

When the Fed purchases the bonds it simply makes ledger entries increasing its asset accounts and increasing its liability accounts.

3. Assets = Liabilities + Equity
  US Gov. Debt Comm Bank Debt   US Gov Deposits Comm Bank Deposit   Fed Equity Acct.
End $1,600,000,000 $1,000,000,000   $500,000,000 $1,600,000,000   $500,000,000

After the bonds are purchased the depositors now have access to $2.1 billion  (US Gov $500 million and Comm Banks $1.6 billion).   The money supply has just been increased by $600 million.

The fed is not shipping physical cash all around the country.  It is only increasing the amounts available to the various banks that deposit with the fed.  The money in those accounts is accessed electronically.  Its the same way it works when you write a check from your bank that gets deposited into another.  The banks simply check with each other then change the balances in the two accounts.  They don't send money back and forth between the two.  It is all accounting.

Really the only thing that the treasury does is replace worn out currency.  If the FED wanted to increase the volume of currency in circulation... I'm not really sure how that would work.  I would assume that the FED would purchase the currency from the Treasury by issuing a check drawn on itself which the treasury would then deposit in thier accounts at the fed.  So the Fed would basically be increasing their assets (physical currency held in vaults) and then increasing its liabilities (US Government Deposits) on the other side of the balance sheet.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS