Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Short animation: George Ought to Help

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 83
Points 1,645
bitbutter Posted: Fri, Dec 17 2010 6:30 AM

Hello. Lately I published a short animation that I think readers of mises.org might find intersting. A link to the video's YouTube page follows:

George Ought to Help

• | Post Points: 125
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,289
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Fri, Dec 17 2010 7:46 AM

very good, man ;)

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

(english is not my native language, sorry for grammar.)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570

Yeah I saw this posted over on Reason.tv's rough cuts the other day.  Went straight to my facebook page to share with my friends.  Great job.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Fri, Dec 17 2010 11:58 AM

That's terrific. I'm emailing Jeffrey Tucker now for the Mises blog.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Fri, Dec 17 2010 12:14 PM

bitbutter,

Could you tell me a bit more about yourselves? A websearch for your names (from the video) didn't give me much. I'm Dutch as well.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 796
Points 14,585

Excellent! Bravo!

"I cannot prove, but am prepared to affirm, that if you take care of clarity in reasoning, most good causes will take care of themselves, while some bad ones are taken care of as a matter of course." -Anthony de Jasay

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Fri, Dec 17 2010 11:11 PM

I emailed it to David Kramer and asked him if he could put it on the LRC blog:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/73426.html

Not Ranked
Posts 83
Points 1,645
bitbutter replied on Sat, Dec 18 2010 5:58 AM

Thanks all for the kind words and for sharing the link, much appreciated!

Not Ranked
Posts 83
Points 1,645
bitbutter replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 3:35 AM

Hi all, just a heads up to let you know that I'm crowdfunding the follow-up to George Ought to Help animation. If you'd like to learn more and/or get involved, you can do all that at: http://www.indiegogo.com/Edgar-the-exploiter

Thanks in advance if you feel like joining in and/or helping to spread the word!

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

Just out of curiosity - why indiegogo? It looks that unlike http://www.thepoint.com/, which only charges the individual contributors when the total goal is met (so it's all or nothing), the indiegogo works on a best effort basis - was that a conscious decision?

E.g., I want to contribute, but only if the project flies.

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Not Ranked
Posts 83
Points 1,645
bitbutter replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 5:42 AM

hi abirkmanis,

I understand the concern. In this case the project will go ahead whether or not the funding goal is met (if it's met, it will be completed sooner--before 2012).

I like the 'all-or-nothing' model too, and some projects really need that approach. http://www.kickstarter.com offers this model for project funding, it uses a clever mechanism of deferred tansactions, but requires that project organisers have a US bank account (i don't). I think that http://www.thepoint.com is a great site, but it can be problematic to rely on non-binding promises of payment for a project like Edgar.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 247
Points 4,415

Bitbutter is this your first time here?

Not Ranked
Posts 83
Points 1,645
bitbutter replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 1:37 PM

Hi freeradicals, I'm not sure I understand the question but I've been visiting mises.org for something approaching two years I'd guess.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 247
Points 4,415

I see, I meant the boards, I was curious as to why you only had so few posts. Anyways, nice video! You are reponsible for a several-hour long debate I got into with a lefty friend of mine on facebook after I shared it  :)

Not Ranked
Posts 83
Points 1,645
bitbutter replied on Fri, Feb 25 2011 3:23 AM

Ah yes, that seems to be a common pattern among those who posted it to facebook! Thanks for sharing.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 198
Points 3,100
jay replied on Fri, Feb 25 2011 4:59 PM

Awesome! I shared on Facebook and will be donating. Edgar is scary!

"The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -C.S. Lewis
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 266
Points 4,465

There should be a Ludwig von Mises Institute video contest with a cash prize (large enough to expand interest beyond the base.)  I know the Ayn Rand Institute does it, but I believe LvMI could generate much more creativity.  Videos from people here and elsewhere could spread knowledge of and interest in LvMI, Austrian Economics, anarcho-capitalism, Voluntaryism, and whatever specific ideas those videos may concentrate on.  More videos like "George Ought to Help" and "Fear of the Boom and the Bust" could really get people to understand.

Not Ranked
Posts 83
Points 1,645
bitbutter replied on Wed, Mar 30 2011 9:46 AM

Yes resist, I think that would be a great idea. I'm sure there's a lot of 'latent' talent out there that could be mobilised.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS