Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** January 2011 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 58 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,434
Points 29,210
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Huzzah! http://www.youtube.com/user/LoyolaEconClub

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,434
Points 29,210

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Tue, Jan 25 2011 8:54 AM

Brian Anderson:

Why did you post this? He doesn't back up any of his claims.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Tue, Jan 25 2011 8:55 AM

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,434
Points 29,210

Nielsio:

Brian Anderson:

Why did you post this? He doesn't back up any of his claims.

I'm not supporting what he said. I just wanted to see if there were any refutations that came up.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

Brian Anderson:
I'm not supporting what he said. I just wanted to see if there were any refutations that came up.

Van Jones has some points, but he only looks at the bad effects, and not at the ways plastic enhances the lives of the poor. It is a cheap, strong and durable material without which many modern amenities wouldn't be possible. How many poor people could afford indoor plumbing if it wasn't for inexpensive plastic pipes? Plastic especially benefits the poor because they are the ones for which greater abundance makes the greatest difference. And it equalizes standards of living because it makes new technology affordable for everyone are not just toys of the rich.

This dislike of plastic is not really rational but has more to do with the feeling that it is "unnatural". It seems certain people are in the process of establishing kosher laws of what resourses humanity can use, based on the emotional gut reaction they have about them. You know, wind energy is good, the government should subsidize that, but plastic and nuclear energy is bad, let's ban that.

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Tue, Jan 25 2011 12:17 PM

Brian Anderson:

I watched about half of the clip:

He claims plastics are poisonous in use -> doesn't offer any evidence

He claims plastics are burned which causes dangerous chemicals to be released -> doesn't offer evidence that this happens -> doesn't show why this alleged problem is tied to the plastics itself. Why can't we just bury it? Why do they burn it? What about government not enforcing private property laws against this? Why would this only harm poor people?

He claims oil causes global warming -> doesn't offer anything to the issue

He claims poor people don't have choices and have to go for plastics -> Seems like plastics are good then. Esp. considering he doesn't offer any evidence why it's poisonous.

Plus, he had stupid jokes.

Grade: F

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,434
Points 29,210

It is a cheap, strong and durable material without which many modern amenities wouldn't be possible. How many poor people could afford indoor plumbing if it wasn't for inexpensive plastic pipes? Plastic especially benefits the poor because they are the ones for which greater abundance makes the greatest difference. And it equalizes standards of living because it makes new technology affordable for everyone are not just toys of the rich.

Awesome. See, I don't think like that right away for some reason. It always takes someone to give me a starting point and then I can branch out. Thank you.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Tue, Jan 25 2011 7:33 PM

Lisa van Damme, founder of the Montessori-based Van Damme Academy, and contributor to many Objectivist publications, destroys the cult of excellence (Amy Chua):

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Tue, Jan 25 2011 7:44 PM

Pt2 - response to critics

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Tue, Jan 25 2011 7:48 PM

Winner of Ayn Rand Institute's Atlas Shrugged Video Contest:

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Wed, Jan 26 2011 4:43 PM

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405
The irony is that he is talking about divergent thinking, but he is completely caught up in the paradigm that schooling is the concern of the collective. Notice how he says societies educate their children, as if children are owned by society. That is the problem in the first place, the assumption that education is to be administered by the state. You can reform state education, but you can never make it work. It is time for people to realize that the free enterprise system won. Why do they believe that free enterprise can deliver cars and computers better than the government, but somehow schooling and health care are an exception?
"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

Penn and Teller remind us why Libertarianism is awesome

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,434
Points 29,210

Aw yeah, look at anarchy gettin' all mainstream.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Sat, Jan 29 2011 6:41 AM

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Sat, Jan 29 2011 9:36 PM

Page 2 of 2 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS