Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Myths of the Great Depression.

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
4 Posts
Points 140
Drew posted on Thu, Jan 6 2011 3:43 AM
I'm an economics major over at Eastern Oregon University and I'm developing an outline for a paper critiquing the causes of the great depression. I've followed Murphy's literature as well as Wood's but I'm curious if anyone out there would be willing to review my rough drafts to ensure I'm making all the necessary points. If the reviewer is an actual professor, I'll pay you in jokes.

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
Male
444 Posts
Points 6,230

Why not just post the essay here and have everyone give their input?

And what Woods and Murphy literature/lectures are you speaking of exactly?

My long term project to get every PDF into EPUB: Mises Books

EPUB requests/News: (Semi-)Official Mises.org EPUB Release Topic

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
283 Posts
Points 5,580

If you haven't checked them out yet, see Rothbard's America's Great Depression as well as The Roosevelt Myth by John T. Flynn.  Also, a book I think would be perfect for you to check into is Jim Powell's Roosevelt's Folly because it's short and to the point, and he does a great job showing how Roosevel's policies themselves were a factor in prolonging the Depression.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
132 Posts
Points 2,780

check out this piece by Lawrence Reed.  It's on Walter Williams homepage "Great Myths of the Great Depression"

http://econfaculty.gmu.edu/wew/

Top 500 Contributor
340 Posts
Points 6,230

I haven't read it yet (I actually just picked it up from the library the other day and it's sitting on my coffee table), but I have heard that Burton Folsom's New Deal or Raw Deal is one of best dismantlings of FDR/Depression/New Deal myths out there.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,687 Posts
Points 48,995

Folsom's book is very good.  Also, Milton Friedman and Anna J. Schwartz' A Monetary History of the United States is important (although, you can weigh their opinions on the money supply with those of Austrian economists).

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS