Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What kind of music do Austrians listen to?

rated by 0 users
This post has 319 Replies | 41 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

LibertarianCowboy:
I love Chuck Berry, rock n roll god!

What a legend, my only claim to fame is that I have shaken this man's hand.

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 743
Points 11,795

Nielsio:
Like this one better (mindblowing actually):

True true benson's version is also very nice. Although this is what led me to affirmation in the first place 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O0kuoiAm2A

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 152
Points 2,560
John Q replied on Sat, Jan 8 2011 11:11 PM

Can't forget Dwight Yoakam!

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it" - Thomas Jefferson.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sun, Jan 9 2011 3:20 AM

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 89
Points 1,840

I love Radiohead. They're fantasic. Since their lryics are dark, yet ambiguous, I like to take in the songs from an anti-statist perspective - espically "2 + 2 = 5" which has lines like "all hail to the thief!".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waJWRYa7weo

But in reality Thom Yorke is just another uninspired lefty. :/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2003/sep/08/fairtrade.wto6

His arguement is that poor countries have basically been fucked over by imperialistic entities like the IMF and the World Bank (debt slavery) and western Governments (corporate subsidies, intellectual monopoly "rights", tariffs) and this is the fault of "free unfettered trade"... WTF! I just don't get it. Why can't people tell the difference between political-capitalism and the free market...

"No person is so grand or wise or perfect as to be the master of another person." ~ Karl Hess

"look, property is theft, right? Therefore theft is property. Therefore this ship is mine, OK?" ~Zaphod Beeblebrox

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

You've shaken Chuck Berry's hand? *brewing envy*

You know he's still playing!

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 266
Points 4,465

Experiemental rock-Pink Floyd, Radiohead, The Velvet Underground, The Beatles, Rush, Porcupine Tree, Mars Volta (some of their stuff sucks, though)

Classic rock-Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones

Metal/Prog Metal-Tool, Black Sabbath

Hip Hop-Wu-Tang Clan, Various underground groups, MF Doom, Notorious B.I.G., 2Pac, Eminem (before he sold out)

Singer/Songwriter-Bob Dylan, Jeff Buckley, Sufjan Stevens, Elliott Smith

Grunge-Pearl Jam, Nirvana

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 20
Points 340

Some of my favorite artists: Interpol, The Presets, David Fonseca, Tegan and Sara, Modest Mouse, Scissor Sisters, MuteMath, Zoot Woman, Peter Gabriel, Radiohead, plus dozens more. I'm a music addict and I get a couple new albums every month, but I'm still quite picky about what I like.

New additions to my collection: Home Video, Phantom Planet, The Faint, The Chap, Florence and the Machine

I try to give any genre a chance, but anything rap/country/heavy metal has to really wow me if I'm to give it a second listen.

Avatar by me | Contact me if you need artwork or graphic design done for an Austrian/Libertarian/Anarchist purpose.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

^Dude there is so much good hip hop and country out there. You just have avoid all the new mainstream trash.

Go check out some Mos Def, or Rakim. As for country, check out some Charlie Feathers or Gun Club.

I am a music addict as well. My new obsession: Charles Mingus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6d2_dnWMgY

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,255
Points 36,010
William replied on Wed, Jan 12 2011 1:54 AM

Jeff Beck

There is a name that doesn't get tossed out too often.  I grew up on the Yardbirds. Over Under Sideways Down, Shapes of Things, and Rain (by the Beatles) were the 1st 3 songs I ever learned on guitar.

"I am not an ego along with other egos, but the sole ego: I am unique. Hence my wants too are unique, and my deeds; in short, everything about me is unique" Max Stirner
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 152
Points 2,560
John Q replied on Wed, Jan 12 2011 7:51 AM

Yes, you are correct unfortunately. Jeff Beck is a brilliant guitarist extraordinaire who never became a "household name", but whose influence within musical circles is truly legendary and puts him in a very small group of like musicians. Seeing him/hearing him LIVE is an experience one would not soon forget.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it" - Thomas Jefferson.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,600

I feel oddly "conformist" after reading the majority of the answers in this thread.

My musical tastes have been becoming more stagnant as I become older, but recent (i.e. active) bands I've been listening to would include Avenged Sevenfold, Shinedown, Disturbed, Halestorm... I don't really feel elitist about my musical selection as many (no one specific) seem to. Hell, I even listen to the radio!

But on a selective note, I tend to lean towards music that catches my interest in an identifiable way--whether because it's creative timing/composition (Tool, Liquid Tension Experiment) or vocal talent (Well, Tool again, but also Shinedown, Halestorm) or instrument mastry (Andy McKee). Other than that, whatever is making me tap my foot.

" ‘Bread and Circuses’ is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for which there is no cure. “
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

^No worries man, music is subjective just like value. I always like encouraging people to listen to all different types of music. Genres are more like attributes then borders, that's the way I see it.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,600

My present "problem" is finding new music without investing time and intention to do so--i.e. I don't want to scour the internet to find something new, I want a means of finding new [to me] music at minimal time investment.

However... I haven't invested the time to find out if there is already something that will accomplish this cheeky. Is that what Pandora accomplishes? (I haven't been to the site since it's baby days)

" ‘Bread and Circuses’ is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for which there is no cure. “
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

I use wikipedia and allmusic. Allmusic.com is a good source for album reviews and album comparison. Pandora sucks at all this when compared.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Wed, Jan 12 2011 1:42 PM

Last.fm, SoulSeek, and blogs.  That's all you need.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
  • | Post Points: 75
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

His arguement is that poor countries have basically been fucked over by imperialistic entities like the IMF and the World Bank (debt slavery) and western Governments (corporate subsidies, intellectual monopoly "rights", tariffs) and this is the fault of "free unfettered trade"... WTF!

It's funny because the creation of the IMF was spearheaded by Soviet agent Harry Dexter White.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 8,085
Wibee replied on Wed, Jan 12 2011 3:20 PM

Alex's resturant. 

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

These are some of my favourites tunes, from video game soundtracks.

Star Wolves: Intermission Theme

Castlevania: Garibaldi Temple

The Guild: The Perfumer

Dynamite Headdy: I Love Goldie Hawn

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 266
Points 4,465

BiPolarMoment:
But on a selective note, I tend to lean towards music that catches my interest in an identifiable way--whether because it's creative timing/composition (Tool, Liquid Tension Experiment) or vocal talent (Well, Tool again, but also Shinedown, Halestorm) or instrument mastry (Andy McKee). Other than that, whatever is making me tap my foot.

I suggest Mars Volta:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z16-LoZRFVo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPeSbITit5U

Very unique band and probably extremely polarizing.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 15
LinuxGirl replied on Thu, Jan 13 2011 10:50 AM

A bit of everything.

http://www.last.fm/user/jensam05

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 85

I would think there'd be more Rush fans among Austrians:

"You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill..."

Edit:  I just noticed that jay (above) mentioned Rush.  Sorry I missed that originally!  :^)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

Tell me this hip hop song from KRS ONE isn't libertarian (here's a youtube link):

Now here's a likkle truth
Open up your eye
While you're checking out the boom-bap, check the exercise
Take the word "overseer," like a sample
Repeat it very quickly in a crew for example
Overseer
Overseer
Overseer
Overseer
Officer, Officer, Officer, Officer!
Yeah, officer from overseer
You need a little clarity?
Check the similarity!
The overseer rode around the plantation
The officer is off patroling all the nation
The overseer could stop you what you're doing
The officer will pull you over just when he's pursuing
The overseer had the right to get ill
And if you fought back, the overseer had the right to kill
The officer has the right to arrest
And if you fight back they put a hole in your chest!
(Woop!) They both ride horses
After 400 years, I've _got_ no choices!
The police them have a little gun
So when I'm on the streets, I walk around with a bigger one
(Woop-woop!) I hear it all day
Just so they can run the light and be upon their way

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 21
Points 285

reggae, post-punk, jazz fusion, funk, hip-hop, krautrock, idm, drone doom, prog rock

lately, i've really been into the canadian drone band nadja. 

i've also re-discovered the fall, a band i had listened to almost religiously since high school, after neglecting them for some months.

you gotta love a punk/post-punk band that lampoons left-wing collegians and coined the phrase "killer civil servants".

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

I like my rugged 90s hip-hop with a side of Buckethead. I mix in a little Vai, classic rock, and the Beatles as well. 

God I want that Steve Vai Jem.

I'm ordering one this week =)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

Post Punk was definitely without a doubt the best era of punk.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 132
Points 1,890
Wesker1982 replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 10:56 AM

I grew up listening to punk, its still my favorite. My all time favorite band is the Ramones.

Other bands I like: Rancid (1993-2000 era), Operation Ivy, Misfits, Minor Threat, Black Flag, The Specials, The Queers, Screeching Weasel, Choking Victim, Leftover Crack, Star Fucking Hipsters, Propagandhi, old Greenday, Nofx

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 274
Points 5,675
My Buddy replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 3:22 PM

I have very odd music tastes. The main ones are:

Touhou Music (EG. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHFYORrFp8U)

Newgrounds techno music, generally by Cornandbeans or Dimrain47 (EG. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYhgJ3gKKc4&feature=related)

Obscure techno (EG.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVBalxt3NEU)

And, oddly enough, Soviet music (I don't like communism obviously, but my great-grandfather was a communist in Russia and the music passed down, though my Russian is very bad and I can't find the best of it) eg. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7_lF2qZmC0&feature=related

Oh yeah. My music tastes are unusual. Oh well. I also like REM.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 653
Points 13,185

Prateek Sanjay:
When I was in Vienna, all the kids were listening to Beastie Boys.

Austria was a very a metal country, from what I remember when I visited.

Was this humor lost on everyone else but me?

they said we would have an unfair fun advantage

"enough about human rights. what about whale rights?" -moondog
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570
  • Alex's resturant. 

Am I missing something, ot do you mean "Alice's Restaurant Massacree" by Arlo Guthrie?

Not Ranked
Posts 72
Points 990
mouser98 replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 5:40 PM

fancyshirtman wrote the following post at 01-09-2011 4:25 AM:

I love Radiohead. They're fantasic. Since their lryics are dark, yet ambiguous, I like to take in the songs from an anti-statist perspective - espically "2 + 2 = 5" which has lines like "all hail to the thief!".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waJWRYa7weo

But in reality Thom Yorke is just another uninspired lefty. :/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2003/sep/08/fairtrade.wto6

His arguement is that poor countries have basically been fucked over by imperialistic entities like the IMF and the World Bank (debt slavery) and western Governments (corporate subsidies, intellectual monopoly "rights", tariffs) and this is the fault of "free unfettered trade"... WTF! I just don't get it. Why can't people tell the difference between political-capitalism and the free market...

never go to artists for political opinions :)

Not Ranked
Posts 72
Points 990
mouser98 replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 5:41 PM

resist272727 wrote the following post at 01-10-2011 2:04 PM:

"Experiemental rock-Pink Floyd, Radiohead, The Velvet Underground, The Beatles, Rush, Porcupine Tree, Mars Volta (some of their stuff sucks, though)

Classic rock-Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones

Metal/Prog Metal-Tool, Black Sabbath

Hip Hop-Wu-Tang Clan, Various underground groups, MF Doom, Notorious B.I.G., 2Pac, Eminem (before he sold out)

Singer/Songwriter-Bob Dylan, Jeff Buckley, Sufjan Stevens, Elliott Smith

Grunge-Pearl Jam, Nirvana"

i cant get this quoting thing to work right, but anyways this is pretty much me.  i would probably not include Tool and would add the Pixies, Frank Black and the Breeders and would also add Lou Reed and Velvet Underground.  Its funny, i thought i had esoteric tastes but this looks like bubblegum pop compared to what some of you guys listen to.

edit:  oh yeah, add Outkast in the hip hop category

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 10:26 PM

i love music threads. :) an earlier one turned me onto joy division/new order.

if you're looking for a band that blends whiskey town era ryan adams, drive by truckers, and bruce springsteen then check out AMERICAN AQUARIUM!

Big City:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=incFQsEvLiI

California:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EvIuWR8DhA

Road to No Where:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKQpN55i66g

Lover too late:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpzylX-GqnA

These are actually their older songs (2007). But they're also my favorite. :P So I think they're the best to get into them. 

Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine - Elvis Presley

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,600

Though I had heard of Last.fm previously it was not until these two events happened that I bothered to go there: a) you mentioned it b) I had a rather lengthy discussion with a local drummer notably about how to actually find new music other than random chance.

Anyhow, between him and Last.fm I discovered this band/song that I now would like to learn more about:

I can't guarantee it's to the taste of anyone here but I was rather impressed and it was strange that they are also (fairly) local.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,600

Though I had heard of Last.fm previously it was not until these two events happened that I bothered to go there: a) you mentioned it b) I had a rather lengthy discussion with a local drummer notably about how to actually find new music other than random chance.

Anyhow, between him and Last.fm I discovered this band/song that I now would like to learn more about:

I can't guarantee it's to the taste of anyone here but I was rather impressed and it was strange that they are also (fairly) local.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Sat, Jan 22 2011 4:24 PM

Why, yodeling, of course! A bit old school, but doesn't get any more Austrian than that. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

I love yodeling!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEIBmGZxAhg

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 266
Points 4,465

mouser98:
i cant get this quoting thing to work right, but anyways this is pretty much me.  i would probably not include Tool and would add the Pixies, Frank Black and the Breeders and would also add Lou Reed and Velvet Underground.  Its funny, i thought i had esoteric tastes but this looks like bubblegum pop compared to what some of you guys listen to.

edit:  oh yeah, add Outkast in the hip hop category

Yeah my taste in music is pretty much a result of me trying to figure out what the big deal was about all of these legendary bands/artists and I got really into them.  I listen to a lot of other stuff too but those are the bands I would pick if I was going to live on a desert island or something.  Although I forgot The Clash.  The Pixies and OutKast are good but I've never heard of Frank Black.

And to quote someone:

(quote user="USERNAME")Text.(/quote) <--------- This, but use brackets instead of parentheses.

Not Ranked
Posts 72
Points 990
mouser98 replied on Sat, Jan 22 2011 8:45 PM

resist272727:
Yeah my taste in music is pretty much a result of me trying to figure out what the big deal was about all of these legendary bands/artists and I got really into them.  I listen to a lot of other stuff too but those are the bands I would pick if I was going to live on a desert island or something.  Although I forgot The Clash.  The Pixies and OutKast are good but I've never heard of Frank Black.

thanks for the quote help, now the only problem i have is an unexpandable text window that is too small to see all of the text i am typing at one time.  just really clunky stuff here or else i am just not getting the system.... anyways, Frank Black is another pseudonym of Charles Thompson, the lead man for the Pixies.  his most accessible album is his first, Frank Black/Frank Black, I highly recommend it, also, while talking about the Pixies, the Breeders are the band of the bassist of the Pixies, Kim Deal, their first album, Pod, is pretty much pure genius, IMO.  This reply gives me a chance to throw a few more names out :) like Primus and Yes, that have in common fantastic bassists, Public Enemy, whose stuff is very Libertarian to my mind, old Black Sabbath, old Blue Oyster Cult...  i think a lot of my intellectual ascendance to Libertarian thought was through the primal truths that are expressed by these artists in their music.  Like I implied above, I rarely find their conclusions about politics appealing but their perceptions of the injustice and the pathologies of society tend to reinforce and be echoed and make, and keep, one sensitized to the injustices of our society, if that makes sense.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,255
Points 36,010
William replied on Sat, Jan 22 2011 8:57 PM

Kim Deal

Dayton Ohio, represent!

"I am not an ego along with other egos, but the sole ego: I am unique. Hence my wants too are unique, and my deeds; in short, everything about me is unique" Max Stirner
Page 2 of 8 (320 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS