Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What kind of music do Austrians listen to?

rated by 0 users
This post has 319 Replies | 41 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 286
Points 4,665
skylien replied on Fri, Dec 30 2011 3:41 AM

A very nice fan video about the awesome song of Tool: Lateralus. It explains the structure of the song which appears to be based on the Fibonacci sequence:

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes, qui custodes custodient? Was that right for 'Who watches the watcher who watches the watchmen?' ? Probably not. Still...your move, my lord." Mr Vimes in THUD!
  • | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 70
Points 1,205

Thank you for letting me know and trying. I don't want to sway the direction of the thread, but if you are interested you can type in commonsenselako in the youtube search or here is the link again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYlgoJcL5M0 I'm sorry Wheyleous, if the Iowa wasn't on January 3rd I wouldn't be making a big deal about it, but I will always answer the question of the thread first, to the best of my ability before I put in my link.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Dec 30 2011 6:57 AM

Is my one sentence really such an eyesore?

At this point, yeah.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Fri, Dec 30 2011 11:14 AM

It's not the monetary gain that's bad. Making money is fine.

I appreciate any new person coming here and I do not want to drive you off by any means, but as with every community, there is a set of rules we'd like to stick to, and that includes generally staying on topic and especially not making an unrelated post in a thread just to promote yourself.

I recommend starting a new thread so that you can receive more complete feedback on your videos.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 70
Points 1,205

Wow, the Keynesian forum was much more hospitable. They just kept giving me money hoping I'd go away. I understand every forum has their own standards and now that I understand this forum's standards, I will not post video links after I answer a question and rather will start a new thread. I will contribute to other threads and start my own thread later in the evening, when I get out of work, asking for creative advice and points I should make in my next video. I don't mean this sarcastically, but that is okay right? I will not post anything more on this thread and I appologize to Bert and Wheylous. O... and just to positively contribute to this thread one last time, I think Broadway showtunes are fantastic and I like bread. I'm just joking. 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Fri, Dec 30 2011 1:00 PM

I took special care to try to not offend or alienate:

I appreciate any new person coming here and I do not want to drive you off by any means

Yes, what you say is fine. No need to apologize. Just part of the path to settling into these forums.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920

Some really good chill out beats
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Fri, Jan 6 2012 9:57 AM

@The Finest ; I like.

I made this mixtape - best of 2011.. for stuff of a similar vibe, chill'd.

http://soundcloud.com/conza88/a-special-blend-of-2011

Let me know what you think.. track list and free download after the jump. smileyyes

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest replied on Fri, Jan 6 2012 11:00 AM

@conza: Glad you liked them. I especially recommend that more people check out Tokimonsta. You can't go wrong when her beats are as great as her looks.

Listening to your mixtape right now, and  I suddenly realize I have to check out Neon Indians last release

Might as well post this, kid has a lot of potential being so young

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Wed, Jan 11 2012 10:31 PM

Can't get this one out of my head

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 440
Mens Rea replied on Wed, Jan 11 2012 10:42 PM

Personally, I like that deep, groovey, tech house.

If on a laptop I recommend using headphones otherwise you wont hear the grooves :)

Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 660
Elric replied on Wed, Jan 11 2012 11:54 PM

I like the guitar

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Jan 13 2012 12:24 AM

Jargon, there's live footage of Dance of the Knights where the term "mad conductor" is actually fitting to the video.

Lately for me I've been getting more into Jay Munly and Slim Cessna's Auto Club (a band Munly also plays in).

Not really sure what to classify this, seems the terms "alt-country" and "Gothic Americana" get thrown around towards this.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Fri, Jan 13 2012 12:28 AM

Bert:

Jargon, there's live footage of Dance of the Knights where the term "mad conductor" is actually fitting to the video.

Link please ! 

long live the russians

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Jan 13 2012 12:36 AM

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 29
Points 850
aderwent replied on Sun, Jan 15 2012 5:51 AM

led zeppelin and the rolling stones are my 1a, 1b favorite bands. everyone else are in a lower class. but my itunes most played says this (i redid my whole library about 3 months ago, so keep that in mind):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IttLxthqM7U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtFrGCJrnKc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F46gk0wpFto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vlPDOX7i5I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9SatFGAenU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4azW-ICtju8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcqwOAaKZRk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lLZlaNn-bo

enjoy.

btw, how do you get the video to embed in your post?

the loneliest individuals I see are surrounded by others
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 645
Points 9,865
James replied on Sun, Jan 15 2012 8:00 AM

I listen to anti-NWO songs by Maiden and Megadeth every morning while I read Zero Hedge and drink my coffee.

The rest of you guys are all hippies. ;) 

Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 70
LirvA replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 9:41 AM

Hendrix, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Pixies, Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield, The jesus Lizard, Smoosh, The Beatles, Nine Inch Nails, Alice in Chains, to name a few ...

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 70
LirvA replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 9:45 AM

Smoooooooooooooooooooooosh

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 70
LirvA replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 9:51 AM

pixies rule

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 70
LirvA replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 9:53 AM

the jesus lizard GOAT

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 70
LirvA replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 9:58 AM

Nick Cave

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 70
LirvA replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 10:02 AM

Frank Zappa

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 70
LirvA replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 10:15 AM

they're so fucking sick

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 70
LirvA replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 10:25 AM

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 304
Points 4,800
cporter replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 10:32 AM

aderwent:
btw, how do you get the video to embed in your post?

Ask and ye shall receive: http://mises.org/Community/members/cporter/default.aspx

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Thu, Jan 26 2012 2:57 AM

Now begins my excavation of extremely underrated 70's bands.

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 470

Is that the Bedemon that later became Pentagram?

Anyway, for me, it's mostly bands like Kamelot, Lost Horizon, Virgin Steele, etc. Metal, especially of the power variant, though I also like other subgenres.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Thu, Jan 26 2012 7:10 PM

Not sure, never got much into Pentagram, but it's been a while since I listened to them.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sat, Jan 28 2012 1:59 AM
Since the religion/god debate has been going on guess I'll post this. Probably the best Christian music I've ever heard. (The two members were formally in the stoner metal band Sleep.)
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 435

What is the law?

No spill blood!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkle8oadJJg

Insanity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSuvPuQM7qc

Gratitude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nzlbR2ZuU0&feature=related

And to round it out,

Little Black Submarines  - The Black Keys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=490s689kvpo

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Wed, Feb 8 2012 2:09 PM

Land & Liberty

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 3:21 PM

For classical music nerds:

Watch along the bottom of the video as the performance progresses. You will see the numbered themes tracked in each of the voices (each row corresponds to each of the Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bass lines). First, Bach introduces a subject once in each voice with free counterpoint surrounding it. Then, he plays around with that subject, inverting it (symbolized by the black circled numbers in the music) and introducing it in "stretto" counterpoint (kind of a "staggered" counterpoint) with itself. After he introduces the second subject, he mixes it with the first subject in counterpoint. After he introduces the third subject, he again mixes it with the first and second subjects.

The final section has quite a bit of back-story as Bach (possibly intentionally) did not finish this Fugue. However, it was discovered that the main theme of the work to which this Fugue belongs (called "The Art of Fugue" though not named that by Bach himself) is a perfect match with the other three subjects in quadruple fugue counterpoint! This cannot have been an accident as the main theme appears in every Fugue in the Art of Fugue except this one and counterpoint themes don't just fit together by accident. So, the linked video is of a reconstructed version of the Contrapunctus XIV in all its glory. The most amazing part of this Fugue to me is the transcendent harmonic progressions in the final section where all four themes "permute" through all four voices. This is a work not only of transcendent beauty but of absolute technical mastery of the art of counterpoint (multiple, interacting "voices" or "melodies").

Read this if you're interested in more of the back-story.

Edited to add: For those who might be interested but are otherwise confused by the strange sound of the music, I'll give a brief background. Before the 16th century, most European music was either folk music or ecclesiastical music which was extremely formalized and consisted almost entirely of vocal chants. The chants were primarily male and they were all univocal - one voice. By the 16th century, there were polyphonic chants which consisted of more than one melody sung together, or the same melody sung against itself (rounds, like "Row Your Boat"). The art of writing two or more independent melodies which sound good independent of each other and sound good when sung together is called counterpoint or "note against note."

The art of writing good counterpoint lies in giving the listener cues by which to tell apart the lines, particularly when all lines are being performed by one instrument or by several instruments that sound the same. These cues primarily consist in the "shape" and rhythm of each line. When you listen to counterpoint music, imagine that you are hearing a choir of human voices and pick out an individual voice to follow. You may not be able to follow it for very long but you can just pick another voice and keep doing this. Multiple hearings of the piece will enhance your familiarity with it and your ability to pick out individual voices. As you become more adept at hearing the individual voices, try following the themes and then listening for where the themes are played against each other in counter-point. At this point, you will be able to hear two voice simultaneously, which is a bit like watching a movie with 3D glasses on, only for the ears.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 286
Points 4,665
skylien replied on Tue, Feb 28 2012 12:14 PM

@ Jargon,

King Crimson has some great songs. Really love "21st century schizoid man" ;)

To a different song, a song that fits the time we live in. Unfortunately I had to upload it myself.. First I wanted to write a review myself too, but I am completely unable to do that right so why not use an already very good written review:

“I guess, the name Erik Larson is unknown to most of the readers. Larson played drums for Avail from '91-'99, and he was the singer-drummer of the Sludgecore band Kilara. Apart of it, he's the driving guitar force behind Alabama Thunderpussy and with "The Resounding" he had done his first solo album. I'm really positiv surprised about the twelve songs, that are only reminding me a bit to ATP. A few of the tracks were written five years ago. The lyrics of the album are recommandable, too. The next surprise is, that Larson has played nearly all instruments on the complete album, only Sam Krivanec plays the bass and Kachina Oxendine has taken over a few vocal-parts, as in the beautiful and un-cheesy lovesong "Hardest Thing to Write About" (that's true!). But also Erik Larson's voice fits excellent to the songs, and he succeeded in creating an organic sounding album, where you really got the impression a complete band is playing the songs.

It's not easy to pick out single songs, because the album functions as an entire unit and there aren't any fillers. But if you need some tips, I recommend the powerful bluesy "Our Voice", that starts quiet and than simply explodes. Great! Then there's the excellent groovy "Rede" with its Skynyrd-influences or "Make It", an atmospheric melancholic acoustic Folk-ballad, or the outstanding "Happy New War", with its critical lyrics about the actual US foreign policy, and that's not a matter of course for US musicians in this times. Other personal tips are the hard rockin' "Burning Fast" or "I Feel like Ted Nugent" (hahaha....!), with its Detroit vibe. Ok, to sum it up:"The Resounding" is a damn fine varied album, which pleases me more than the last two CD's of ATP. Here you can listen to passionate heavy melodic Rock songs, but there's also something for your heart. Absolutely recommandable, so go and buy it! "The Resounding" has been released in March 2003 on Small Stone Records, so visit their homepage and place your order.

(KK)”

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes, qui custodes custodient? Was that right for 'Who watches the watcher who watches the watchmen?' ? Probably not. Still...your move, my lord." Mr Vimes in THUD!
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 7:27 PM

Some more Bach. I had heard the 1st and 2nd cello suites many times but just discovered the other suites today. Absolutely stunning:

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 10:45 PM

Hip Hop has been good the past couple years imo

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Mon, Apr 30 2012 1:19 AM

Land & Liberty

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest replied on Sat, May 12 2012 8:29 PM

I'm in love <3

Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 1,450

My favourite bands are Pink Floyd, Sigur Rós and Arcade Fire. I listen to music all day and I like all sorts of music. :)

It is not left versus right, it is social engineering versus spontaneous order.
Page 7 of 8 (320 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > | RSS