Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Tron: Legacy & IP

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert Posted: Sat, Jan 8 2011 5:41 PM

I don't want to go into an explanation for a possible spoiler, but Sam Flynn says "Can't steal something that was designed to be free." in regards to Encom technology he leaked on the internet.  Despite a lot of bad reviews it's a pretty awesome movie (then again you might have to be a fan of the first Tron to appreciate it).

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 5,275

Loved the movie, totally thought of IP when he said that. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Sun, Jan 9 2011 3:49 PM

Besides Inception, Tron Legacy was the only good movie of the year. Also, in addition to getting maximum mileage form a poor concept, being a thinly veiled metaphor, I noticed abnormally high libertarian content, especially in Flynn Sr.  

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sun, Jan 9 2011 6:25 PM

Yeah, the two best movies of the year in my opinion have been Inception and Tron: Legacy.  There's definitely some libertarian messages in the movie.  Especially when Flynn told Clu that when he created him to create the perfect system, he himself didn't know what perfection really was.  This idea lead to a discussion at work that Clu never thought to question himself on whether or not he was perfect, but yet his actions were accordance with some perfection.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 124
Points 1,795
Justin D replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 11:26 AM

Sorry for the bump...but Tron: Uprising (with a very good voice cast) is on Disney XD (started last summer) and it so far is a complete anti state premise. The first season is on dubbed-scene.com

The first episode (or pilot, idk) has the classic lines of 

soldier: "You are an enemy of the state"
Beck (star/hero): "The state is the enemy"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

@ Merlin

I know your post is old...but what about Toy Story 3?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 1:24 PM

@Justin D, I might have to watch that now.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 124
Points 1,795

@bert

I'm a superhero/sci fi nerd so i am partial to it anyways. But im on Ep4 and each epsode seems to cover a certain topic (wether intentional or not) Privacy/ID laws, energy rationing (for military terror purposes), a Grid trooper(idk what they are called) following orders, aside from the obvious martial control over the "programs".

But remember its a cartoon, i assume most depth is reserved for the first and last episodes.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS