Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What are you reading?

This post has 491 Replies | 50 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 232
Points 4,905

Ok,thanks.

And as for my contribution to this thread:

Man,Economy,and State

The Ethics of Liberty

Notes and Recollections

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 256
Points 5,630

Thanks to my new kindle device, I'm reading a variety of books right now.

• Brave New World - some similarities to 1984
  • The Dictators Handbook : Why Bad Behavior is Almost Always Good Politics - the central theme of the book is that the leader is more concerned with getting into office and staying in power over anything else, may the system be a dictatorship or democracy
  • The Fallacy Dectective: 38 Lessons on How to Recognize Bad Reasoning
  • Seductive Poison: A Jonestown Survivor's Story on Life and Death in the People's Temple - just started reading this; the 900 people who commited mass suicide were not wackos, but ordinary human beings duped into the charisma and promise of utopia by one man
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 12:29 PM

Just ordered

Democracy: The God That Failed - Hans Hoppe

The Tragedy of American Diplomacy - Appleman Williams

Debunking Economics - Steve Keen

Stock Markets, Credit and Capital Formation - Fritz Machlup

The Frontier in American History - Frederick Jackson Turner

Business as a System of Power - Robert Brady

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,687
Points 48,995

Debunking Economics - Steve Keen

Brace yourself. I read it, thought I agreed with much of the first part (not so much the rest of it), but suggestion is to read it and sit on it (think about it) over a long period of time. The longer I go after reading it the less I agree with it.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 12:36 PM

I'll be sure to read it with a marker in hand. But I couldn't help but think that Keen's macroeconomic outlook actually meshes pretty well with an Austrian's (for a Post-Keynesian).

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,687
Points 48,995

Once you read the second part of the book you'll see how it doesn't as much as you think. I think Minsky's theories are somewhat similar, but Keen is more of a neo-Sraffian (and therefore more rooted in the Marxist tradition).

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

@ Bert

Could you tell me where Hegelian-Lacanian thought fits in with libertarianism? Until recently, I thought that it was directly contrary to it in it's ideas about how "other people make you who you are, and you make other people who they are." I thought this way until recently when I found out that early individualist guys like Stirner were influenced by Hegelian thought.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

The Mathematics of Poker, by Bill Chen, Jerrod Ankenman.

I feel that some game theory here and there helps with understanding of economics.

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

So I am looking at my titanic Amazon Wish List

this looks like my top picks for any AE type of books, it's been reletavily stable for 2 or three years - I figure this will take about 4-7 yrs to plow through, though this doesn't look like too heavyof reading other than Shackle and Weiser:

The Economics of Time and Ignorance - O'Driscoll and Rizzo

The Counter Revolution of Science: FA Hayek

Phenomenology of The Social World: Alfred Schutz

Austrian Economics In America: The Migration of a Tradition - Karen Vaughn

Epistemics and Economics - GLS Shackel

Evolution of The Market Process: Austrian and Swedish Economics - Michel Bellet

The Invisible Hook - Peter Leeson

Antifragile - Nassim Taleb

Essays: Joseph Schumpeter

Governing The Commons: Elinor Ostrom

Social Economics -Freidrich von Wieser

A History of Post Keynesian Economics Since 1936: J.E. King

He's Just Not That Into You: The No Excuse Truth To Understanding Guys: Liz Tuccilo and Greg Behrendt

Shackle,Schutz, Weiser, Leeson, Taleb, and Vaughn are towards the top of my general list - so they will all probably be ordered by years end and read within 2 years

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 2:02 PM

vive la insurrection:

He's Just Not That Into You: The No Excuse Truth To Understanding Guys: Liz Tuccilo and Greg Behrendt

Maybe it's just me, but I did not see that one coming.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Maybe it's just me, but I did not see that one coming.

I know most people like to read and have a full grasp of Competition and Entrepreneurship before delving into the higher theororetical aspects involved in this book - hopefully I am not being too arrogant in my intellectual assumptions, but I think I can manage understanding the content it provides.

Either way, I know it is a critical cornerstone for the Social Science manifesto I intend to write, so maybe I am a little over eager to race ahead rather than taking a more conservative walk along my intellectual path - but so be it.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 3:35 PM

Well played, good sir.

Page 13 of 13 (492 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 | RSS