Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The State Is Not Great: How Government Poisons Everything

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 85
Jacob Spinney Posted: Wed, Jan 19 2011 6:17 AM

It took me quite a bit of time and effort to make this. I'd appreciate your feedback. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXNRzI64L9Q

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Wed, Jan 19 2011 9:27 AM

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 753
Points 18,750

Very nice! I'm thinking that you may wish to offer it as-is and to chop it up into a few segments, some viewers may not have the time to invest 50 mins in one setting.  facebooking it as we speak.

Read until you have something to write...Write until you have nothing to write...when you have nothing to write, read...read until you have something to write...Jeremiah 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Excellent presentation.  I do agree with Jeremiah...I think there are plenty of segments throughout that you could post as individual videos that would be more easily digested.  I noticed you already posted "Your friendly neighbor, the state" as a standalone.  I think you could certainly get a wider audience if you presented at least a few more like that.  Or perhaps broke the whole thing down into chapters and then put them all in a playlist.

Anyway, great job.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 5,275
djussila replied on Sat, Feb 19 2011 10:13 AM

Big fan of your work Jacob but here's my advice: People are more inclined to watch videos (and, thus, those videos get more views) when they are generally not much longer than 5 mins. Blame it on low attention span I guess. Because most people are not commited ancaps like us, if some of your videos were a little shorter I believe they would reach a wider audience. Just my 5 cents, keep up the great work!

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Sun, Feb 20 2011 3:07 PM

That was really, really good.  I agree with some above suggestions to break it up.

Also, a couple small points: 1) people don't exchange because they will be better off; they exchange because they expect to be better off.  The difference is important.  2) When you were speaking about government officials, you were saying that because they are a monopoly, they have no incentive to do yadda yadda yadda.  However, this may not necessarily be true.  I think it more accurate to say that there is nothing about the institution of government that pushes people towards doing yadda yadda yadda.  They may still be moved to do so out of other concerns.  Not big points, really, just small ways to improve accuracy.

I would suggest cutting down on the music.  It's more effective when used more sparingly.

All in all, I really enjoyed this and think it's an excellent tool.

Finally, a self-serving addendum to the points above: I have written a novel that tackles many of these issues.  You can download a free copy at www.withurwe.com

Nicely done and best of luck!

Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under - Mencken

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS