Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Private Police Forces in Past Societies?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 29 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
5 Posts
Points 265
MIke Mayne posted on Fri, Jan 21 2011 3:48 PM

I am familiar with instances in history/modern times where there have been private fire fighting "services" provided for a nominal fee as opposed to a public good. I am involved in a debate in which I am looking for instances in history where there was a private police force in the same structure as say the aforementioned fire fighting service. Can anyone provide me with a good example?

Thanks!!

• | Post Points: 140

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
Male
508 Posts
Points 8,570

The first thing that pops up into my mind is "The Not So Wild West" by TL Anderson.  It's not about a specific PDA but it goes into some of the organizations that sprung up when there wasn't a state monopoly on law.  I believe there's a shorter essay and also a longer book with similar titles.  The essay can be had as a free PDF online.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,008 Posts
Points 16,185

why look at the past? there are private police today... security in business for example.... Disney world is a good example of this. but if you are in a debate on this topic, you wont prove your point by saying, "See, this society had private police!" you will make a much bigger statement if you list the wrong doings of public police and show how the market can reduce these wrongdoing if society enforced a private police system and not a public one.

My Blog: http://www.anarchico.net/

Production is 'anarchistic' - Ludwig von Mises

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Male
653 Posts
Points 13,185

I know this isn't exactly what you wanted, but private security is pretty common at malls, banks, large office buildings, etc.  Also, I think the county sheriffs of the frontiers are a decent example.  Modern police forces are really an outgrowth of prohibition and the drug war, so any private police of the past or future probably won't look anything like todays cops.

EDIT: beaten to it

they said we would have an unfair fun advantage

"enough about human rights. what about whale rights?" -moondog
Top 75 Contributor
1,434 Posts
Points 29,210

All I know is that I don't feel safe around the current police force while their purpose is to protect me.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Male
5 Posts
Points 265

You make a good point Isaac. I suppose I was not enough offensive minded in my debate. I can point out the flaws in public policing in my sleep. Although I will point out that all of the examples of private policing I can think of ( in the US ) were the ones I most abused as a teenager lol

Top 150 Contributor
519 Posts
Points 9,645
Top 500 Contributor
Male
167 Posts
Points 2,395
Lyle replied on Sat, Jan 22 2011 12:11 AM

You don't need past experiences with AnCap to demonstrate the viability, a priori, of AnCap as an alternative to the present system because anyone who argues the contrary, is arguing from ignorance.  It is a possibility that AnCap is a viable alternative to the present system, a priori.  To argue otherwise is just plain ign'ant.

**Thanks to Autolykos for pointing out the argument from ignornace and steering me in the right direction!**

Top 200 Contributor
391 Posts
Points 6,975
Might I offer the private police force of the Chicago World's Fair as an example? In general most modern amusement parks serve as a good example of anarchocapitalist society in terms of defense and other 'public' services.
Top 100 Contributor
Male
796 Posts
Points 14,585

In the Middle Ages, communes served as private police forces.

"I cannot prove, but am prepared to affirm, that if you take care of clarity in reasoning, most good causes will take care of themselves, while some bad ones are taken care of as a matter of course." -Anthony de Jasay

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
4,532 Posts
Points 84,495

Every company and large enough shopping mall has a security guard force. The difference between security guards and a police force is that the police force has special exemption from the laws of common mortals, which they use to abuse you.

Not Ranked
Male
87 Posts
Points 1,215
Albert replied on Wed, Jan 26 2011 8:34 AM

Disney World

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,922 Posts
Points 79,590

Lyle:
You don't need past experiences with AnCap to demonstrate the viability, a priori, of AnCap as an alternative to the present system because anyone who argues the contrary, is arguing from ignorance.  It is a possibility that AnCap is a viable alternative to the present system, a priori.  To argue otherwise is just plain ign'ant.

**Thanks to Autolykos for pointing out the argument from ignornace and steering me in the right direction!**

I sure hope this isn't sarcasm. Maybe you can let me know whether it is.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,922 Posts
Points 79,590

Brian Anderson:
All I know is that I don't feel safe around the current police force while their purpose is to protect me.

Actually, the purpose of current police forces is to enforce the law. Whether doing so protects you or anyone else is tangential.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,922 Posts
Points 79,590

Solid_Choke:
In the Middle Ages, communes served as private police forces.

Awesome link. I had no idea about this. Thanks!

Voluntaryism Forum

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS