Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Advice on How To Quote

rated by 0 users
This post has 37 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc Posted: Mon, Jan 24 2011 6:44 PM

Smiling Dave,

This is really just an annoyance, but can you use the quote blocks at all? Or find a better way to do in-line quoting. It's hard to follow. Thx Buddy.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

Filc,

Not sure what you mean. Quoting from the Money and Inflation book is very difficult. It's in PDF format, and the copying from there is hard to do. So that's the best I can do.

If you mean quoting from posters here, I'll try to make things easier on the eye, knowing someone is reading.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Mon, Jan 24 2011 6:50 PM

Copy all the material you want to quote

Type [ quote ] <PASTE CONENT HERE> [ /quote ]

no spaces between brackets and the word quote. For every opening quote there must be a "/quote" close quote.

For example, i want this content in quotes.

For example, i want this content in quotes.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Mon, Jan 24 2011 7:03 PM

I have to say, for an institution that so zealously defends open source software, it is using inexplicably mediocre Microsoft software for its website.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

This, like all things, will change

besides, is http://telligent.com/ a subsidiary of microsoft?

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Mon, Jan 24 2011 7:28 PM

It relies on it and adopts the style. Microsoft is a philosophy.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,289
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Tue, Jan 25 2011 9:07 AM

there was this script, somone posted, which allows to quote people normaly. I just don't know how I managed to create the bookmark out of it. Maybe someone will remind me?

javascript:(function()%20{window.location=window.location.toString().replace('Quote=False','Quote=True');})();

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

(english is not my native language, sorry for grammar.)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Tue, Jan 25 2011 9:37 AM
MaikU:

there was this script, somone posted, which allows to quote people normaly. I just don't know how I managed to create the bookmark out of it. Maybe someone will remind me?

javascript:(function()%20{window.location=window.location.toString().replace('Quote=False','Quote=True');})();

Create a bookmark of anything, then change the url of the bookmark to that code. Or just manually change 'false' to 'true' (in the url) every time you're replying to someone.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Tue, Jan 25 2011 9:41 AM

"there was this script, somone posted, which allows to quote people normaly. I just don't know how I managed to create the bookmark out of it. Maybe someone will remind me?"

you should not need a script to quote properly on this board....the webmaster needs to fix this.  If not, get used to people using quotes like I do.

:P

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Stranger:
It relies on it and adopts the style. Microsoft is a philosophy.

Your ability to deny an error is outstanding.  Legendary even.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

nirgrahamUK:
This, like all things, will change

Why doesn't The Mises Institute just get one of them unspectacular, simple forums that are all around the interent? As far as I know you can get those pretty much for free. No fancy formatting tools, but you can quote people with a click on 'quote' and spell chek works. Less complicated, more managable.

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

A new forum is in testing, progress being made

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Tue, Jan 25 2011 1:29 PM

"A new forum is in testing, progress being made

Also, someone neds to add a link to these forums on lewrockwell.com

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 850
Points 13,615

And cato.org.

=D

The state is not the enemy. The idea of the state is. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Tue, Jan 25 2011 5:44 PM

The eternal open-source mantra. :)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Tue, Jan 25 2011 6:30 PM

Stranger:

Ahh and I suppose your still running Windows 3.1?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Tue, Jan 25 2011 6:36 PM

nirgrahamUK:

Cool.

Can you tell me what 'brand' it is?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

WordPress

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,850

A wordpress forum???  I've run wordpress for many years and I have never seen wordpress have it's own fully functional "forum" system...  It's always been integration between wordpress and another system, like vBulletin, SMF, phpBB....  I'm very interested to see how this works.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Stranger:

Don't you blog at Wordpress.com?

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Wed, Jan 26 2011 5:56 PM

Of course. I don't host my own blog, I don't have the time.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 470
Points 7,025
Vitor replied on Wed, Jan 26 2011 7:06 PM

I hate the very white background, too shiny on the eyes. And yeah, it could a much lighter format like phpBB.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Wed, Jan 26 2011 7:35 PM

Vitor:

I hate the very white background, too shiny on the eyes. And yeah, it could a much lighter format like phpBB.

I would suggest using this program, which automatically adjusts the color temperature of your screen throughout the day:

http://www.stereopsis.com/flux/

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Stranger:
Of course. I don't host my own blog, I don't have the time.

You don't have to spend any time to spend money.  You use FREE and OPEN SOURCE, while calling proponents of the same here various petty and vulgar names.

Aren't you a hypocrite for taking shots at LvMI using Wordpress, when Wordpress is apparently your platform of choice?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Wed, Jan 26 2011 9:41 PM

WordPress is not free. I pay for some of their services.

As far as I can tell the Mises Insitute is only planning to switch to WordPress, but like many communist plans, cannot muster the resources to actually bear the burden.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Stranger:
WordPress is not free. I pay for some of their services.

As far as I can tell the Mises Insitute is only planning to switch to WordPress, but like many communist plans, cannot muster the resources to actually bear the burden.

Why would you pay for open source software?  Doesn't this undermine your arguments against it?

Stranger:
As I often mentioned and then explained in great detail, open source software serves the needs of the producers of open-source software, while proprietary software serves the needs of the consumers under the division of labor. In fact no comparison can be made between them because they are two goods so different as to be incommensurable.

You claim that consumers are not served by open source, and yet you will pay to consume it.

Seems you've outed yourself once again.

Claiming LvMI is communist (a strawman, red herring and ad hominem) due to their lack of resources is hardly your best work.  Surely you can come up with better BS to cover your ass.  You really need to this time, because you've completely blown up your own arguments and are found wanting once again.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Wed, Jan 26 2011 10:42 PM

I don't pay for open source software, I pay for blogging.

I also don't pay for seeds or car parts. I buy food and cars.

Please, continue to enjoy communism at work.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Stranger:
I don't pay for open source software, I pay for blogging.

Oh this is one of the best yet.  You admit you pay Wordpress.com money for features, and then you claim you don't pay for open source software.

Do you even believe this johnny nonsense when you post it?

Here are two suggestions.  One, learn to distinguish between a noun and a verb,  Two, Wordpress doesn't offer closed source features, so if you are really paying them, you are paying to use open source software.

Stranger:
I also don't pay for seeds or car parts. I buy food and cars.

This is called a fallacy of composition.  Is that really the best you can do?  The first attempt at dodging was pure Stranger.  Obfuscating and switching definitions, but this logical error is so basic, I can't believe you made it and thought you wouldn't get called on it.

Stranger:
Please, continue to enjoy communism at work.

I do enjoy watching you pay for [sic] communism while strutting around calling everyone else a communist.

This is great.   Every time you make some foolish comment about LvMI being communist, I am going to be able to parade your hypocrisy out for everyone to see.

You've completely undermined your own argument against IP because you've proven you can't act consistently within it.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

Sometimes the font of my posts is bigger than normal, any way to change that?

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,850

EmperorNero:
Sometimes the font of my posts is bigger than normal, any way to change that?

In the editor you use to write your posts, there's a button that has what looks like a page, and is labelled "Source."  If you click that, you get to see the actual coding behind the visual you get (if you get such a visual, things like the quote feature don't always show up visually).  You can there remove exraneous and unwanted "span" tags. 

Another plan could be to select all the text in the visual editor and change the "size" to "12," which, at least to me, appears to be the default.

I hope that's helpful.  :)

**EDIT**  After the fact, it looks like things are pretty evenly split between size "12" and size "14."  So which ever you prefer.  Selecting the whole thing and changing the font size will at least make it uniform, whichever option you choose.  :)

**EDIT: Part Deux**  I have noticed that before I did the select and size everything, my typeface was indeed two different sizes. *redacted*

**EDIT: Part 3** Did some experimentation, and what I'm seeing is that ther's a paragraph tag that starts before the quote tag, and unless you specifically add space between your text an the quote tag, the style of the quote flows over to your text.  So either moving the opening <p> tag to after the quote, or making sure you add a line (i.e. hit return) after the quote before typing, your text should be uniform.

I still think the easiest way to do it is just select all and choose a font size (either 12 or 14).  :)  That way you don't HAVE to fudge with the coding if you're not comfortable with it.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

Aaah! Great to know. Thanks ladyphoenix.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,850

EmperorNero:
Aaah! Great to know. Thanks ladyphoenix.
No problem.  I'm a dork for fixing a coding issue.  :)  I fix them for a living, if you can believe that.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 57
Points 1,665
Austen replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 9:14 AM

<Testing 1>

Testing 2

<Testing 3>

<quote>Testing 4</quote>

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 57
Points 1,665
Austen replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 9:14 AM

[marquee]Testing[/marquee]

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Thu, Nov 1 2012 12:05 PM

I wish Lew Rockwell could afford to hire me as his webmaster for all his sites.  I would have this finished and fixed within several days.  Probably more like a day or two.  And of course, who wouldn't want ot work for Lew Rockwell?

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Thu, Nov 1 2012 12:36 PM

How much do you charge? Maybe we can take up a collection...

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580

"How much do you charge? Maybe we can take up a collection..."

I would only have time, if I didn't work at my current job.  Which means, being the webmaster would have to be my full time job. 

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Thu, Nov 1 2012 1:41 PM

I was thinking of the two days work to fix the forum, lol. But just facetiously. wink

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
Page 1 of 1 (38 items) | RSS